Food inflation, local trend or worldwide?

Exaggeration.

Dragon fruits were very expensive a while ago but now it’s back to normal.

I don’t have someone looking after me bringing me everything and fixing my meals.

I go grocery shopping every few days, they are still expensive as of yesterday.

3 Likes

What makes you think I do?

Right I’m sure dragon fruits and mangoes are cheaper elsewhere lol.

I will admit that haagen dazs is even more expensive now.

AirBnb your apartment?

What kind of chicken? There’s two kind, and they taste different.

The 200 ish legs are probably free range mountain raised chicken. These legs taste like rubber (meat is very tough) and has to be made into soup. They are a lot more expensive than regular chicken.

Then you have the 50-ish legs (still expensive) that is basically factory farmed chicken. These come from the states, and is what most lunchbox chicken is made of. These taste like chicken.

1 Like

How to call these 2 types of chicken in Chinese?

Correct, mountain chicken, rooster I think, the big ones.

1 Like

土雞 is the expensive kind.

You do not make biandang or fried chicken out of it. I had eaten these at a hot pot/bbq once because a friend bought these by mistake. They had the texture of rubber. You won’t like it.

Everything else is just normal chicken.

1 Like

The butcher at my markets just refers to them by size, as in big and small.

1 Like

I know, leaving aside the fact that us outside country people are completely clueless about which chicken to buy, I seem to remember the 土雞 legs being around 180 last year, creeping into 200s this year. But I don’t have firm evidence as it is not one of the prices I know per jin, I don’t buy chicken frequently enough.

1 Like

Am in Western Europe now. Prices in the supermarket for quality food still very reasonable compared to taiwan. More selection by far. But locals say it has increased quite a bit.

But prices for everything else. Holy shit. Most countries here have about 90% tax on fuel VAT at 20 to 25 per cent . Costs going through the roof . Hotel costs gone crazy partly due to Ukranian refugees. Housing prices shooting up. Only public transport getting cheaper.

Its really really hard to adjust to. Latte could be 110 ntd but the snack to go with it be 130nt. Sandwich 300nt. Better food than Taiwan but still.

I heard the US has cheaper fuel but for everything else is as bad or worse than Europe .

4 Likes

Taiwan has been smashed with more rain this spring than any time I can remember since I moved here. With this spring’s cool wet weather, either fruit crops were ruined (my beloved small green mangoes disappeared early due to this weather) or they arrive in the markets loaded with water and tasting relatively bland.

Perhaps the last really good fruits I’ve enjoyed were some cherries from New Zealand—pricey but worth it. Maybe the imported summer fruits from California—deep purple plums, cherries, and the like—will work as an alternative.

Guy

2 Likes

Germany?

‘Western Europe’. Sounds like some sort of CIA operation. [Meant to reply to @Brianjones not @afterspivak ].

2 Likes

Lol sure

I mean the sandwiches specifically.

2 Likes

For you @Gain, taken today.

I’m not saying you’re wrong because I really don’t know, but is it possible you’re comparing red dragon fruits with the normal colored ones? The ones that are red inside are more expensive. The ones in the picture are clearly marked “red.”

Leaving aside the question around clueless waiguoren who can’t even tell the difference in advertised flesh colour of dragon fruits, red were not 50NTD each this time last year. That is the only point I wish to make here.

4 Likes

The problem with stockpiling food in the possible event of societal collapse is other people will notice that you’re the only family not getting skinny.

2 Likes