Food Scandals, Safety, Recalls

I don’t think the piece explains how the problem of adulterated food was overcome. They mention the laws were not effective at around 7:36, and then they don’t really resolve it. There is a little soundbyte at the end about consumer pressure…

Yes, seems not. More a history lesson. Taiwan did not learn the lesson, last time plastic power was added to milk tea, which did bad things to males.

The Food and Drug Administration today announced the latest list of violations of border inspections. The 14,000 kilograms of spice-mixed seasoning powder imported from the United States was found to have exceeded the standard of preservatives and quality improvers, and all illegal products were returned and destroyed.

Did they get kilograms mixed up with grams? That’s a lot of seasoning powder.

Probably not, buy bulk and pack here, cheaper.

you are what you eat!

What is konjac? (spelling?)

The entire news story only identifies high sodium as a concern about this snack. Lots of foods have high sodium. They mention chemicals, but lots of food, snacks especially, have chemicals.

Is there some other problem with these snacks?

It’s an almost zero calorie food.
’ Are konjac noodles zero calories?

Virtually calorie free (on average 8 calories per 200g) zero noodles are made from the root of the konjac (konnyaku) plant, which is made into flour before being transformed into noodles of varying widths. They’re so low in calories, but still filling, because they’re very high in fibre’

1 Like

Hmmm

Konjac supplements may also expand in your esophagus or bowel and cause an obstruction. The risk is higher if you:

• take konjac tablets
  • take konjac in any form without water
  • are older
  • have problems swallowing

Several countries have banned the use of konjac because of the high incidence of bowel or throat obstruction.

Is konjac commonly served as noodles in some Taiwan restaurants

i havent seen it in noodles, but it is very common as a jelly like filler in deserts, cakes, yogurts etc.

Some, I had it a few times. Not really a fan though.

It’s common in Japan; I don’t think I’ve stumbled across it here in Taiwan.

Guy

I had it at a keto restaurant some time back. I don’t believe the restaurant survived. I’d rather just eat less wheat or rice or mung bean noodles. Shirataki Noodles: The Zero-Calorie ‘Miracle’ Noodles
Here’s some on momoshop: https://www.momoshop.com.tw/goods/GoodsDetail.jsp?i_code=9070436&osm=Ad07&utm_source=googleshop&utm_medium=googleshop_pmax_all_pc&utm_content=bn&gclid=CjwKCAjw9LSSBhBsEiwAKtf0n01ZhzJAZ0HM4kL8RyV3C81_le0Z33wpsiFv0O_xNEH28zu5n6qUwhoCsjcQAvD_BwE

Things you learn

“Shirataki noodles are long, white noodles. They are often called miracle noodles or konjac noodles.”

Shirataki (konjac) noodles are low carb and keto friendly.

he took water from his fish ponds and packaged it as an expensive cure-all health drink.

https://www.taiwannews.com.tw/en/news/4515850

4 Likes

That shit is wack!

2 Likes

and he was charging NT2500 a bottle too…people payed a pretty penny to drink that disgusting junk…

2 Likes