Food Scandals, Safety, Recalls

I was going to make a joke, but after reading the whole article, I just want to drown this !@$^&$ in the pond.

2 Likes

From the above TaiwanNews article

Members of the public complained to the authorities they had spent tens of thousands of Taiwan dollars on buying the drinks because their relatives were suffering from cancer.

Some more from another English article. Sickā€¦

Guo, a graduate of the Chemical Engineering Department of a technical school, according to reports, claimed the product could prevent or cure all kinds of diseases, including diabetes, Alzheimerā€™s, tumors, cancer, liver damage, stroke, burns, and AIDS; while enhancing immune function, lowering cholesterol, blood pressure, and more.

1 Like

Iā€™m not going to bother reading the article. People are stupid. How can you not recognize snake oil when you see it? You deserve to be scammed if you canā€™t acknowledge that if something seems to be too good to be true, it probably is.

3 Likes

You like eating cheap food on Taiwanā€™s college campuses?

Exactly one (1) of the places recently visited by an inspection team passed with flying colours: Zhi-De Vegetarian at NTNU.

What about the rest? Read at your own risk. :face_vomiting:

Guy

6 Likes

four had cockroaches on site

For some reason, I expected more.

I personally donā€™t think any of the non-campus options are any better to be honest. Part of living in Asia.

3 Likes

Yeah many disgusting places off campus too.

As one of my former students said, ā€œLousy places inside [the campus], lousy places outside. Might as well stay inside.ā€ :rofl:

Guy

1 Like

both Hsin Chi Yeh Barbeque Rice (鑫吉野ēƒ¤č‚‰é£Æ) near Fu Jen Catholic University in New Taipei and Ji Pin Hong Kong-style lunchbox store (ę„µå“ē‡’č‡˜åæ«é¤åŗ—) had contamination levels over 1,000 times the legal limit, according to the department.

In a rare bright spot in the investigation, all 22 restaurants inspected for frying oil quality passed muster, the department said.

Sounds impressive being so high over the legal limitā€¦and that little quip about how they were all somehow able to pass for one thingā€¦meeting health and safety standards seems to be considered more of a miracle than anything else.

1 Like

Meanwhile in Taipei City . . .

Two store chains in Taipei that specialize in hand-shaken drinks have been fined, as some of their beverages failed to meet health standards, the cityā€™s Department of Health said Monday.

In the initial inspections of several beverage, ice cream, and frozen dessert shops in the city, Guiji and Pure Happiness chain stores were among those with items that did not meet the required standards, as determined by sanitary indicator bacteria tests, the department said.

The two beverage chains, which specialize in hand-shaken drinks, were asked to address the problem within a specified time, but when the tests were carried out a second time, three items were still not up to standard, the health department said.

As a result, Guiji was fined NT$40,000 (US$1,338) and Pure Happiness NT$30,000, the department said, adding that the three items were Oolong and black tea drinks.

Indicator bacteria are surrogates used to measure the potential presence of fecal material and associated fecal pathogens, including Salmonella and E.coli, according to the department.

Food and drink products may become contaminated during processing and packaging, or because of improper storage at room temperature or poor personal hygiene of the staff members handling the products, the department said.

:face_vomiting:

Source: https://focustaiwan.tw/society/202207250022

Guy

5 Likes

Iā€™d be willing to bet they put the ice scoop back in the ice when not using. Big no no .

Does anyone remember the Shida cafeteria in the basement before they reformed it? Rats and cats running among the pots and garbageā€¦

1 Like

Iā€™m surprised at how low the fines are. Doesnā€™t give much motivation to follow the rules if theyā€™re saving much more money by not following the rules.

4 Likes

How would that go? It will just get stuck in it. Some have their scoops in water, for the whole day, not changing the water. Thatā€™s no-no.

One of the richest men in Taiwan on his third conviction for using adulterated oil.

I would avoid all food products coming from these companies.

• Ting Hsin International Group
  • Wei Chuan Foods Corp
6 Likes

ā€œWei went to jail for the second time in January 2020 to serve a sentence of four years and eight months and was let out on parole in January 2021 for good behavior.ā€

:rofl:

6 Likes

Good at math.

Itā€™s probably the kind of ā€œjailā€ where you can go home every weekend. Not to mention the ā€œjailā€ will have a full blown conference room + office, etc from where he could commit even more crime. Itā€™s genius really.

He just canā€™t stop himself. At his age surely anyone normal would stop doing it.

EDIT: My bad. Itā€™s a historical offense.

He probably owns the entire prison.

1 Like

Would love to see the location of the prison AND his factory. For all we know, they are located next to one another!!!

A fake dentist just had 25 million taken off him. Maybe they should be confiscating his ill-gotten gains.

1 Like