FoodPanda & UberEats pay is so high, how?

I haven’t seen that anywhere in Taiwan, but I thought it’s also against Uber’s terms of service?

Edit: Never mind, seems I was wrong:

To help offset these costs, many restaurant owners question if they can raise their menu prices on the platform without raising them on their regular, in-house restaurant menu. The short answer is yes, you can charge more on Uber Eats than you do in your restaurant. Uber Eats allows restaurants to set their own menu prices through the platform and most restaurants do opt to charge a higher price to cover the service fees and improve their margins. In fact, studies have shown that the markup on orders placed through Uber Eats for customers is as high as 91%. Despite this, Uber Eats encourages restaurants to keep their prices in line with regular menu prices.

(I still haven’t seen it in Taiwan, but I don’t order from many places.)

I‘ve experienced it many times actually in Taipei: Lunchbox places charging an extra $30 for a delivery order or places offering 15% off for take-out orders not made through an app. It seems to be quite common - and more than understandable.

2 Likes

I like Mia Cucina. Their pastas are already super expensive at 430 NTD per large portion, but on Uber Eats it’s like 503 NTD. I assume the 15% goes to UE.

After using Food Panda a couple of times I completely swore off them for various reasons. Connected with the subject of this thread was smaller portions than if I visited the restaurant in person to take away so I guess some places are making back the FP % cut by cutting the amount of food the consumer gets.

1 Like
3 Likes

Excellent video.

Half of his income comes from working as a delivery man. That means that his job as a boss of a beverage shop earns him the same, about NTD40,000 a month.
Really? I thought those drink shops paid better!

I heard once of a guy running a beverage stall in a night market that supposedly was making over a hundred per month. But again I think he fancied my ex and wanted to impress her with his money making abilities. Not saying it’s not unthinkable though.

I hate when they leave before you can tip them though. I know Foodpanda pays them but I would prefer to thank them and show my appreciation.

I hate FoodPanda so much. I dunno why their drivers are always, always so incompetent vs UberEats. I only use it for Ikari Coffee, and every time they try to say my address doesn’t exist and threaten to cancel my order. I go outside and the dude is standing right next to my door, with the address clearly visible.

1 Like

Oh wait same!! I thought it was something I was doing. I put the address in the notes in Chinese too. Maybe the app is weird about locations? Or they’re in a rush lol.

Guy from FoodPanda called me – I thought it was the delivery guy, but it wasn’t – and he was asking me for the address. I told him it’s in the app already. He read back the address and all the info was there. So I don’t know what the problem was. That happens too with them where the delivery guy doesn’t bother to text me, even when I’m texting him asking if there’s a problem, and instead their hq calls, whihc is completely useless.

1 Like

Perhaps why some folks dont trust things like their food with morons.