⚽ Football/Soccer - European Super League

What’s going on with this thing? Hearing a lot of chatter.

1 Like

Wankers.

1 Like

It’s a disgrace.

I always liked that in Europe, in theory at least, a club from some small village in the countryside could climb all the way up through the national leagues and, when reaching one of the top spots in the top league, play against the best teams in Europe. I always liked it better than the US model with drafts and lotteries etc. The way it works these days, it’s not likely to happen, but at least there is always the chance for underdogs. So I am not liking the idea of a super league.

4 Likes

Sport should always be about winning on merit. These 12 clubs don’t believe that. They want a guaranteed equivalent of a Champion’s League spot every season. They’re corporations, not clubs.

Also can you imagine how boring it’d be? Playing the same teams over and over again.

1 Like

I see xenophobia rising with this with a lot of US and foreign owners. Hate to see Anti-Americanism or anti foreign ownership in the masses

I believe the owners of all the English clubs involved are foreign.

1 Like

Nope --Tottenham are Brit owned

The owners of European Super League’s Dirty Dozen revealed including Man Utd, Chelsea and Arsenal billionaires (thesun.co.uk)

1 Like

My mistake.

1 Like

Screw Fifa.

I support this to screw Fifa.

1 Like

The 12 football clubs that have signed up to a European Super League breakaway competition have each been promised a €200m-€300m “welcome bonus” by JP Morgan Chase, the US investment bank financing the controversial project.

The founding clubs of the new league are Milan, Arsenal, Atlético Madrid, Chelsea, Barcelona, Internazionale, Juventus, Liverpool, Manchester City, Manchester United, Real Madrid and Tottenham Hotspur.
Three more permanent members are expected to be announced in the next few weeks. Bayern Munich, Borussia Dortmund and Paris Saint-Germain are all said to have been approached.

UEFA Champions League prize money table (2019-20 campaign)

1 Like

I hope nobody watches the games and the whole thing is a financial disaster, but I bet they will. Football fans are their own worst enemies at times. Buying new club colours etc every season.

Maybe they think they should get all the money? Lots of money goes to UEFA and FIFA.

Isn’t that what happens in the US with Football and baseball?

1 Like

Soccer is like the most toxic sport.

1 Like

Thank you for the helpful comment.

1 Like

You are welcome.

Some players making like 250000-350000 euros a week, money needs to come from somewhere.

1 Like

The libertarian in me thinks the club owners have the right though the hooligans wont be happy