⚽ Football/Soccer - European Super League

My dream is to make a team in Taiwan that joins the NPB. I think that would be cool.

I could never see Taiwan paying foreigners that high.

I don’t think English fans will watch, but unfortunately the Chinese, Middle East and American markets will lap this up.

Next step will be playing matches in Beijing and Dubai and Arabia.

2 Likes

It would be the worst team to start off. But the money can be used to develop players and have some sort of viable system for Taiwanese players to become pro and make a living. The CPBL sucks.

This is good . Time for Ireland to join with the Dublin Dangermen.
Need to raise a billion or so to get going but what’s that between friends.
Other small countries could also fund a megateam each. I think this may be in the back of their mind already.

I think this would attract more casual fans like myself, but I can see why die hard fans would hate this. Especially if they’re fans of a small club.

1 Like

The premier league was formed in a very similar fashion so I don’t think it is going to be stopped. As long as they let new clubs join it could work well.

The irony is that the money is obscene as it is already and there is already a barrier between clubs and their spectators/fans.
It’s been shit for years.

Exactly my thought. I can’t think of an international organization more corrupt.

2 Likes

The UN and WHO come to mind.

5 Likes

I know I will. I’ve tried to get in to professional soccer a few times, and there are too many leagues, too much to see, and no one place where I can regularly go to watch the best soccer possible. If this Super League can turn into that place, I’m all for it.

Plus, it’s so damn hard just to watch the games. I tried several times to find out a legal, consistent way to watch the games I want to watch (I think I even made a thread or two here asking for help in this quest), and each time I’ve had to give up. Hopefully the league will create one streaming service that one can purchase directly from the Super League and access anywhere in the world.

2 Likes

Apparently some super clubs are almost bankrupt due to pandemic and overspending. But instead of this insane project, the obvious choice should be to sell players and spend less on ginormous wages. If the football economy is knocked down a few pegs it can only be healthy.

1 Like

Yeah, indeed, Gareth Bale is helping to bankrupt Spurs, a so-called top six team. His salary is astronomical, and he sits on the bench for most of the games.

Oh, and Real Madrid are apparently paying for some of his wages while he’s on loan. Still, the salaries of some footballers are ridiculous, and the agent’s fees are even crazier.

As a consumer, I don’t particularly care. Just give me a league with the world’s best and an easy way to legally watch it.

Like Gordon Gecko said - Greed is good.

Get ready for your touring super league.
The formerly london whites (Tottenham) now known as Shangai Whites vs Los Angeles Whites(formerly known as Real Madrid) - watch the match in Dubai.

No wonder kids play video games these days - only place where real competition exists.

The billionaires counted the money but forgot where the money came from. Now what’s going to be left are all hollow shells.

Real football will remain with the us commoners.

1 Like

This is exactly the attitude the US investors are banking on. Ie people flock to Marvel movie XVII and do not care, why not the same for sports. Worryingly, the may be correct, though as of now the near-uniformly negative response from football Europe may scupper it.

But that would be another crappy Marvel movie, and this would be the world’s best teams playing against each other. I don’t think it’s a great analogy.

Imagine if there were 6 NBA teams that would always be guaranteed a spot in the playoffs… wow. Insanely corrupt. Wonder if it’ll be reversed.

From the perspective of these “consumers”, it wont be crappy, cause they would regard it as superb entertainment with billions of dollars of CGI budget and well known super heroes facing off.