⚽ Football/Soccer - European Super League

Yes, this one.

2 Likes

With the greatest respect, you are clearly not a footy fan. It’s not all about megga bucks, franchise, glory hunters. What about all the lower league teams that are going under. It’s all about greed.

2 Likes

I have been a soccer fan all my life, I just can’t find a way to pursue that fandom under the current regime. If the Super League will provide a way, I’m all for it.

1 Like

Ok, cool, who is your team?

It’s a blatant disrespect to the fans. This is gonna back fire big time. Proper fans are gonna protest. Big divisions between super rich owners and fans. Players are gonna have to take a stand… and the coaches.

Yep, and especially for fex South American players, if they are blocked from representing in the World Cup, that is a massive red card. The patriotism is intense and they would not be able to respect themselves nor friends and family if they opted for a sterile cash-in solution instead of the dream of winning the World Cup.

This super league is not gonna happen.

It seems unlikely at this point but apparently the contracts have been signed etc etc. Hopefully there will be a very embarrassing climbdown.

Clubs are pulling out. It’s collapsing.

1 Like

At least the saga gave us this much wanted TV show

3 Likes

Says the man who probably watches football played with the hand and head.

I can somehow relate to this. I’m not into one sport particularly but when I watch live sports I’d like to see the best athlete’s with their best performance.

But this isn’t what this Super League is about. In North America there is college sports that makes billions, in Europe there are second divisions that make a pretty good living as well. They are getting a lot of attention, even though they are not the best of the best.

And the notion that only the top teams could create great games is insane. Regular season in NBA,NHL,MLB is boring as hell, unless you’re a supporter of a specific team. It’s only when play-offs starts that the casual viewer really gets excited.

There’s where the Super League really gets it wrong. No one wants to see the same old blokes match each other 10 times a season, no matter how many championship they won. It gets less attractive with each time.

Three of the English teams who wanted to join the Super League- Liverpool, Arsenal, and Tottenham- currently sit outside the top four in the English Premier League (Tottenham just sacked their manager for under-performance) and thus are not guaranteed a place in the European Champions League.
This is just a way to prevent these teams from facing outside competition and keeping all the money for themselves.

OTOH. it would be nice to turn on the telly and be sure of seeing Europe’s top teams, but they’d probably find a way to paywall it.

P.S.- since we’re being asked for our allegiance, Man United fan here- Go, you Reds!

As long as those top teams, financed by billionaires can’t win over Brighton or Everton on a regular basis, competitive arguments don’t count. No one wants this except from some deluded owners thinking Asian and American market will make up for the domestic fanbase. But no one f***** cares about soccer there, especially in China where the Pooh already told investors in foreign markets to get home and invest domestically (look Inter Mailand).

A lot of people I know in the US care about soccer, but they all follow Premier League and everyone I heard hates this idea.

2 Likes

I think I know exactly 0 people in the US that truly cares about soccer. But maybe because I’m from Texas.

1 Like

Maybe! There gridiron is more of a religion. Soccer is pretty big in NE

New England? If so, that’s news to me. Other than my brother, I don’t know that I’ve ever met someone in real life who watched professional soccer outside of the World Cup or Olympics, except for the 12 people who would attend Red Bull games when I would go.

I meant northeast. In all the sports related chats/social media I’m in (more than a little) I hear people talking about Premier League all the time.