⚽ Football / Soccer / Futsal in Taipei

I came to taiwan a soccer player but gave it up in months as where i lived, it was all outdoors, causing blackouts from heat :frowning: leave it to the tropical folk.

1 Like

Yes. All good. I saw it slowly grow to what there is now.
I should have said professional football. There will never be a demand for stadiums full of fans paying 2000NT+ for a ticket.
The international team’s games are free and they only attract a couple of hundred (last time I went) unless the opposition have a cute player from Korea.

And it’s mostly not touched with a foot. It should be ‘carry-around’ or ‘throw’ ball. And the ball is not a ball, it’s an egg.

2 Likes

In the home country these sports ‘stars’ get a fast track to citizenship.

Mostly guys with a beer belly frequenting ‘The Tavern’.

Interestingly, Taiwan was a decent, competitive side in Asia in the 50s due to many Hong Kong players. Then ofc the American influence put paid to the interest and all the other Asian nations caught up and then some.

Yes, also cute player from Japan and other places. I wonder do the guys like to see the women footballers or just care about the game on the women’s side.

2 Likes

Here still SOL

I did not have a beer belly then.

Do now.

2 Likes

I played football until about 13. Then rugby took over. I enjoyed getting away with the dirty shit you could get up to in the loose. After school I only played a bit of Sunday league cricket and a lot of golf.
If I tried football and rugby now, I’d be dead from cardiac arrest within five minutes.

I’m still doing Gaelic. But mostly just standing between the sticks.

Mind you the Taiwanese love their golden oldies rugby. Reckon I could do OK at that.

That hasn’t stopped badminton.

Badminton’s only popular because it can be played indoors in small spaces. Much like bowling, snooker and pool. Oh, and dodgeball.

1 Like

Table tennis.

1 Like

I think soccer sucks!
fred

Yes, the names are interesting as well Aussie version of Football.

1 Like

That we could name ‘free form rugby’.

1 Like

Aussie rules is just Gaelic football with an oval ball

Yes, was searching names and found names like the New York Yanks New York Yanks - Wikipedia which sound like a baseball team

1 Like

I am very curious what this is. Golden oldies rugby in taiwan has me interested.

1 Like