⚽ Football / Soccer / Futsal in Taipei

One of the basketball leagues is what you’re looking for.
Kaohsiung Steelers are in your area I think.

2 Likes

The problem with football in Taiwan is that the quality is very bad if you are used to watching top leagues in Europe. I’d say the best team here would play in a county league in Germany for example, not any higher. Not a knock on Taiwan’s athletes, it’s just that the environment is very disadvantageous for developing the sport. Without baseball as the main outdoors sport, football might be in a better position.

Cheers, I assume they are in closed (air conditioned) stadiums?

May e basketball for summers and baseball in winters? Do the seasons match up like that?

Not really. Baseball is April to November and P league is Dec to May I think.

Dang, the exact worst time to have an outdoor sport lol.

Hi all! nice to write you
This is Carlos, I´m a spanish football coach (Uefa A), married with taiwanese and thinking about coach in TW in a future.
I´d like to ask you about proffesional coach oportunities in TW, since researching this sport is growing in the island year by year, and we are considering to move back to TW again in a near future.
Thanks for your info in advance, have a nice day!
Carlos

1 Like

As far as i know there is only 1 club in Taiwan that teaches football in English, MFA club in Beitou.
https://www.mfa.com.tw/ you can approach them and see if they need any coaches.
if you speak Chinese, there are many clubs that teach football to kids. Since your wife is local, work permit is not a problem and you can teach through them. if you search on facebook you will find many teams / clubs.

2 Likes

Paging @Andrew0409

Thanks for the info, I’ll consider it, I was thinking better about profesional teams in First League.
My level of English is acceptable, Chinese still not competent.

Hey Carlos, yes talk to MFA. They may mention to you that there is also a Spanish coaching school I think in Linkou. They wear Barcelona kit. In case you want to work with fellow Spanish. But also coaching in English.

You won’t be able to coach first division without Chinese language skills. Preferably Taiwanese too. Unless you have coached professionally in Spain and have a proven track record, but even first division here is only semi professional.

My kids used to go to Futsal in Taipei from 4-12years old or there about. They trained at various clubs. I never got the impression that the people running the clubs were making a great deal of money.

I have little idea about clubs for adults.

Edit: by the way not sure why this thread popped up for me after a month. Sorry to revive a thread that seemed to have come to an end already.

1 Like

Hello just wondering where I can pick up a football in Taipei?

I had imagined it would be a relatively simple and lighthearted task. However I had multiple fails this morning and finally wound up gazing with vain and anguished eyes into the rafters of a decathlon sports supply store that didn’t have footballs or accept cash.

They are not free, at least last time I went four or five years ago. I’ve seen Chinese Taipei play many international sides, including North Korea. Never once have I seen them win.

They hand out tickets like candies through all the soccer clubs and what not. You may have to pay if you were unlucky not to get one through other means.

Yeah I got tickets through Ibon I think

1 Like

Candy is non-count.

Tickets were 400 for the last match. Decent crowd too.

I don’t understand. Decathlon has a whole soccer section. How could it have no balls?

Cashless is a thing though.

Apparently the futsal section in the decathlon I visited has disappeared, gobbled up perhaps by the same nothing that consumed the cash registers. That’s good to hear that the other ones may still have them though. I’ll try another branch :sweat_smile:.

You must have gone to a small one. The one in Neihu d’effo has loadsa balls and boots and cones and bibs and whistles and tactics whiteboards. All the accoutrements. It’s where all the coaching schools get geared up. Kipsta.

1 Like

Nice thanks! As it happened I happened upon a small store in Jingmei today that does Jerseys with obscure names like ‘Ronaldo’ and ‘Messi’ printed on the back. Upon closer inspection I unearthed a display containing footballs, ‘footsals’ and a single incongruous pale purple basketball which resided in a box. The proprietor kindly elaborated on the various distinctions between basketballs and footballs for my benefit (believe it or not that actually happened). Following from this clarification I duly submitted my approval and notified the vendor that I would be instructing St Nicolas to prepare some new Taiwan dollars with a view to finalising an exchange tomorrow. So I guess unless he happens to want fifty kazillion NT I will go with that option. A successful day!

1 Like