For what do you pine?

Ray’s Taipei Sports Bar. Had the Caesar last night. Cave-your-face-in-tart dressing and juicy chicken. Best Caesar I’ve had in 4 years.

Well, I’ve gone thru each list and can still honestly say that all I miss (sorry, pining is too strong) is Don Cherry and all the good things associated with him.

BUt I guess even going back to Canada would not remedy that this year. :fume:

[quote=“wolf_reinhold”]914 wrote:

[quote]raw oysters[/quote] I can point you to a real oyster bar if you want.
Oh please do! I was going to ask the same question in the Restaurant forum.

[quote]cold weather[/quote] Wait a month or two, or do you mean North Dakota-style?
Looks like I’m not the only one who misses nasty-hellish-frostbite-cold weather.

[quote]hot men [/quote]which team are you batting for?
What do you think?

[quote]experienced news reporters[/quote] There are a few, mostly foreigners working for outside agencies.
I meant news anchors. I watch Chinese news and they are all young and inexperienced.

[quote]Tim Horton’s[/quote] No idea what this might be. Tim Horton’s what?
Coffee.

[quote]Seinfeld[/quote] Boring.
I pine for Seinfeld, you don’t have to.

[quote]muscular men[/quote] I know one.
Does he have a truck?

[quote]14.5% tax on everything you buy NOT[/quote] What this could mean I don’t know unless it has to do with something that Tim Horton has.
This is how much we get taxed back home on EVERYTHING.

[quote]chiseled men[/quote] There are lots of gristled men at Carnegie’s, so I hear.
Ya, but are they hot?

[quote]Krispy Kreme[/quote] This sounds like a candy.
Doughnuts.

[quote]egg salad sandwiches[/quote] I can make them with the best.
The shops here put too much mayo.

Who? Huh? But is he hot?

Come down to bloody Bitan then. About 15 of the buggers have taken up residence in the tree outside my yard. :fume:

Me, I’m pining for the fjords.[/quote]

Damn. Only reason I opened this thread was to write “the fjords” and the big smug Scots git has beaten me to it. Grrr.

Aren’t you doing something in Pish-a-war tonight? Acting out Murder in the Rue Morgue or summat?

[quote=“bushibanned”]1. the GAP
12. old navy
13. target[/quote]
Any nightmarket you wander into will have bigger selection, better quality, and cheaper prices than any of these, at least on clothing. :unamused:

[quote]
99) Bounce dryer sheets[/quote]

I miss dryers.

bounce dryer sheets can be had at welcome.
i have a dryer AND bounce dryer sheets.

i have yet, in my 3 years here, found anything worth buying at a night market… [/quote]

I miss western-style vegetarian food as well. Thick, hearty soups, handmade vegeburgers etc. (although surely the prevalence of vegeburgers, vegebangers etc. in the west means that there’s about the same amount of vegetarian-food-intended-to-look-like-meat over there.)

However;
1 I’ve never been to a vegetarian restaurant here where soy dishes came close to outnumbering vegetable ones
2 Yes, quite a few dishes in quite a few vege. restaurants are on the oily side but if you pick and choose you can get some great stuff.
3 Chili is fine
4 The no onions/garlic thing is a pretty common theme in Buddhism in various regions in Asia, and in some other religious traditions originating in India. Some Buddhists will eat them normally but will forgo them at particular times for example when on retreat.
More on this topic here;
[Vegetarian food in Taiwan - #9 by Joesox

I miss…

My childhood friends.
Snow in winter.
Decently built houses.
Real lever pie.
Real rye bread.
cold cuts.
Good cheap bread available at the baker around the corner - any corner, actually.
My Pegeout 205
My flat with the huge landscaped park 5 minutes away.
Weekends fishing from a small dinghy.
Sails in foul weather.
Riding my bike to or from work - along with everybody else on a smooth bicycle path.
Sitting in an outside bar with an ice-cold Carlsberg in 10 degrees c.
Soccer matches with the local team… cheering them on even though they nearly always lost.
Big family get-togethers.
Spring mornings with the air full of birdsong.
rainy cold october days, where you would hudle along the fireplace with a cup of tea.

Come down to bloody Bitan then. About 15 of the buggers have taken up residence in the tree outside my yard. :fume:

Me, I’m pining for the fjords.[/quote]

Damn. Only reason I opened this thread was to write “the fjords” and the big smug Scots git has beaten me to it. Grrr.

Aren’t you doing something in Pish-a-war tonight? Acting out Murder in the Rue Morgue or summat?[/quote]
Wildly off-topic, but since you asked, it’s tomorrow afternoon. Doors open at 4pm for a prompt 4:30pm start.
NT$250 gets you in with a drink to watch the … the… er… sorry, I cannae remember what we’re called, but we’re doing a “radio play” in the style of those 1940’s radio dramas. It’ll be fun, I expect, and there’ll be bluegrass-type music by Tarrybush after.

Has nobody mentioned blowjobs yet? I haven’t had a decent blowjob for ages.

1. My friends
  2. Frankies Prime Rib & Seafood -
    359 Boston Post Rd., Westbrook, CT 860-399-5524
    Prime rib & seafood. Upper deck view of the harbor & Long Island Sound. Banquet facilities, catering. Parking. Near exits 64&65 on I-95 in Connecticut. River Valley area.
  3. Fall scenery New England fall view
  4. Pacific Coast Highway California Pacific Coast Hwy
  5. French Paul & Russian Paul: 5 minutes @ Washington Sq. Park
  6. Veselka’s
  7. China Grill - Calamari Salad
  8. CA Wine Valley
  9. Duckhorn Vineyards
  10. White Camry DL 1987
  11. Shadyside Art’s Festival
  12. NYC during Christmas and New Year holidays
  13. Real seasons - especially autumn in New England. Drives like this.
  14. Dunkin Donuts and its coffee
  15. Carnegie Hall, NYC
  16. NY Philharmonic
  17. Real NYC bagels, bialys and scallion cream cheese
  18. Montague Hot Bagels
  19. The Promenade
  20. Freshly manicured lawns

Hm, yeah, second that…would be like over 10 + years for me :frowning:

pizza–oh wait i can get that now.

[quote=“alidarbac”][quote]
99) Bounce dryer sheets[/quote]

I miss dryers.[/quote]

A dryer is at the top of my list for when we get our own place. I told my wife that if we moved to Taiwan, a dryer would be a necessity. I hate the dank, musty smell of clothes that have been drying for 3 days on hangers in the yangtai.

More things I pine for:

• Philly cheese steaks.
  • An OVEN!

I got so tired of listening to good bluegrass through the internet only. That’s definitely something I missed when I lived in Taiwan.

Maybe you guys know this guy, the one on the right (on the left is John McCutcheon)? He wandered around nearby a couple months ago, at the Winfield (KS) Valley Association’s National Guitar Flat-Picking Championships Festival.

Not a bad fingerpickin’ git-ar player, Tommy. Appeared to be fond of the odd beer now and then, too.

I woke up this morning with a craving for blueberry pancakes. I miss blueberries. Especially the ones you can buy on the side of the road in Burnaby, BC. golf ball-sized blueberries.

Oh, and I pine for pines. And cedars and firs.

normal people :laughing:
normal roads :bravo:
normal houses :s
normal … (fill the blank) :help:

just…everything that’s normal (to me) :loco:

and a little privacy at the dentist or doctor. :noway:

Heh, it’s all relative bottleneck :wink:

I know, that’s why I left the option to fill the blank.

where does one begin…

my real motorcycle - from 1400cc to 125cc - the pain is real
cruising on PCH (Pacific Coast Highway) in the early morning, early evening, Sunday morning, Sunday afternoon - hell, about anytime.
Surfing and real beaches.
Beach fishing.
Setting on the beach.
Walking on the beaches.
Walking on the piers in the afternoons and evenings.
Boating out to Catalina Island.
Daves Other Place bar in Seal Beach
Good draft beer.
Neighborhood bars that are open in the afternoon.
Chatting with a stranger about nothing and both enjoying it.
Good newspapers.
Driving over to Las Vegas or up to San Francisco, or up to Big Bear or down to San Diego…just because I want to.
Good, real Mexican restaurants.
Excellent Viet Namese restaurants in Little Saigon (Westminster, cali)
The museums, music and cultural events available.
Local bars with good rock n’ roll.
The church I sporadically went to.
Laughing at/with tourists while talking about southern california with them.
Waking up/going to sleep listening to the ocean waves on the beach.
Getting snockered on saturday afternoon with my buddies.
Having my buddies & their wives over for big Sunday meals.
Going to my buddies for big Sunday meals.
Watching the sunset across the Pacific and trying to guess what tomorrow would bring.
Just a few things.