Forced move to Quarantine Center ... how legal is that?

The title says it all I presume.

I watched the eviction of 400 ppl in absolute horror, and am seriously interested to know on what legal base a government can force someone out of his (legally owned) house if the person doesn’t have the C.

11 Likes

I am not talking loopholes, I am asking for when they knock on the front door …

I will sure consult with a lawyer before going back home and then coming back to Taiwan. I want to know how far can I push my complains and how high the fees if I break which law and so on. Better fight well informed.

It’s probably as legal as they move SEA workers into quarantine. They don’t give a darn.

8 Likes

The break of regulations regarding Covid can result in eye-watering fines. Multiple tens of thousands for wilful infractions, such as leaving your house during quarantine. Simply refusing to wear a face mask mandates a max 15000 fine each time.

Companies like airlines are being fined upwards of a million for staff that break regulations. This is not a lot of $$$ for Eva or China Airlines… but for an individual might be tough, esp. if they lost their job as a result of breaking company policies.

I will amend with examples from Focus Taiwan.

1 Like

The Communicable Disease Control Act

14 Likes

Taiwan has no real modes of appeal for anything that are successful. It comes with the culture that when you get fined or punished somehow, you deserve it. An appeal usually accomplishes zilch. Legal loopholes don’t work like in the West.

If you get fined, expect to be forced to pay it and act accordingly. I don’t agree but it is what it is.

The dignity and legal rights of patients with communicable diseases, medical personnel in care of such patients, patients under isolation care, home-based quarantine, concentration camp quarantine and their families shall be respected and protected without any discrimination.

yeah sorry dude forcing people to change into diapers and throwing them onto a bus with no ac doesnt sound very much like respecting their “dignity or legal rights”

2 Likes

My goodness–how did I miss this Canadian story back in March?

You still harping on that same alleged isolated incident?

True or not, even democracies make mistakes. If they have a problem, they can get in touch with their legal counsel.

25 posts were split to a new topic: Isolated incidents n’stuff

Marco, dude. Please. Chill and listen to others. Taiwan’s government is capable of doing bad things; not everything needs to be explained away.

This is why I’m choosing to spend some time away from Taiwan. I’m quite concerned about the lack of avenues for appeal and the growing disregard of civil liberties. I don’t feel comfortable in such a scenario, and would rather face the risk of Covid – which is a non-issue once you are vaccinated.

9 Likes

Is that the case? If you scan through the court dockets you will see otherwise.

1 Like

OK… if your a foreigner you have no recourse

I’ve been through a ton of appeals. They will find a reason to deny it. Or stonewall you for years until you give up.
They will take action if you can publicly shame them in the media or internationally

I’ll pick one randomly. Kaohsiung had parking on the sidewalk, it actually had painted lines to show it was ok to park but the paint was a bit faded. It was not painted over black to show no parking as the law allows. I got towed. They require you to pay first then appeal. It got denied twice, because they said that was an old painted line. Conveniently after appealing they came and painted it black.

3 Likes

Agreed about the public shaming part, but surely there must be some successful appeals on the basis of proportionality. If someone is breaking quarantine yet vaccinated, masking, there’s no way they can be fined the maximum amount.

Some poor Philippine worker got the max for sticking his head into the hallway of a quarantine hotel. They can and will stick you with the max and they don’t care about any extenuating circumstances.

1 Like

Sure, he got fined because of institutionalized racism and because he has no means to fight back (ie money).

No he didn’t. The filipino worker got the minimum fine of $100000.

Still a lot. But he didn’t get the max fine.

We’re talking about the guy who was out for 8 seconds right?

1 Like

Right… my main point though is the government is less likely to go against someone with guanxi or connections, an average Joe doesn’t stand a chance. I would still appeal anything that I think is unfair but I know it won’t help in Taiwan. Now since they screwed around 400 people there may be consequences but i still doubt it

As I recall the hotel in Taidong on the beach was ordered to be taken down years ago yet it’s there. If I had an illegal hotel there it would have been gone right away.

Yup. Still brutal through. I stand corrected on the max part

1 Like