Forced move to Quarantine Center ... how legal is that?

Is this the event?

“CECC Confirms 7 Domestic 2 Imported 0 Deaths,” ICRT, September 8, 2021 (cached webpage)

1 Like

yes

In Chinese:

何玉華, “新北群聚社區清空住戶哀半夜流浪 凌晨2點終入住檢疫所” Liberty Times, September 9, 2021

Using Google Translate, I think the above Chinese-language text says that because of a cluster infection, more than 400 residents of a community building were forced to move to a “quarantine station.” It says that the building was emptied after the last batch of 11 residents at 11:00 p. m. on September 8. It seems to say these people (the eleven, I guess?) were “wandering” (?) between Banqiao, Wanli, and Linkou. I think it says that vehicle drivers and epidemic prevention staff were also busy until midnight. They (the eleven people? others? I don’t know) finally moved into the centralized station at two o’clock in the morning.

This looks like some kind of companion article:

I’m not sure if this is the same event (from Taipei Times):

Jonathan Chin / Staff writer, with CNA, " COVID-19: Cluster in school leads to mass tests," September 10, 2021

1 Like

Thank you @fifieldt, really appreciated.
Still need to read a bit more, but I presume article 48 (and some more) are the base for what they do.

Careful with that “we” sir. I’m here too. I am equally concerned about your so-called “isolated incident.”

14 Likes

I wasn’t thinking about that kind of acts, which are clearly illegal.
I was thinking about, for example, don’t give the information about your temperature while in quarantine, don’t answer the phone if they call, disconnecting the landline phone in the central government facility, if you have to be there, or disconnect the in-room speaker.
Because I think comply to stay in quarantine and do the PCRs is already enough, actually I think it’s too much. But all the thousands little details… It just drives me crazy.

4 Likes

I totally agree with this.

Every single time someone is not allowed to go back to his own apartment is a “isolated incident”. We can say we have a pattern since months.

6 Likes

We need someone to take legal action against the taiwanese government as they did in Spain against the Spanish government.

6 Likes

Go ahead. Have a crack.

4 Likes

For normal earthlings, not for the ‘elite’.

1 Like

And hopefully quarantined for 2 weeks.

The problem with this Act is that it’s completely open-ended. It pretty much authorizes anyone to do anything. Many other countries have written similar legislation that permits ‘competent authorities’ to do whatever they see fit on the spur of the moment, with no constraints.

There is no precedent for quarantining healthy people, ever. It is simply forbidden by (most) Constitutions and by social norms. Epidemic-control procedures allow for the use of force in the case of symptomatic people who are a clear and present danger, but that minimal test is simply not being met here.

I did start up a thread about the legal basis of COVID measures, but it rather petered out. It seems that people are now starting to seriously consider these issues now that it’s closer to home.

5 Likes

#pray4donr

I wonder when someone is going to refuse to go and start videoing everything.

3 Likes

At the beginning of the recent outbreak a neighbor of my MIL refused to go to quarantine. The cops came and she left, but not without a bit of fighting.

2 Likes

Do the ‘residents’ of these places have to pay for the privilege of forced detention?

1 Like

No

I wonder how the food is. We need somebody live tweeting the meals.

2 Likes

On the plus side, it’d be an unassailable excuse for not going to work for a couple of weeks.

Guy

Is it fully paid?