Forced move to Quarantine Center ... how legal is that?

Ha ha ha ha ha. Yes, I’m sure nobody knows which Egyptian guy they are talking about.

How do you know people are not doing those things already?

Is your argument that the SEA workers are treated worse? Yes, they are. What does that have to do with anything?

3 Likes

Maybe Australia? I remember reading something about an apartment building in Sydney that was quarantined. Maybe someone else knows more.

1 Like

That me thinks doth protest too much on the wrong tree.

Of course everyone knows who he is, since before this happened. How many times have I warned you guys: you are the celebrity of your alley/building. Do you want to be known as George Clooney or, who is the bad boy su jour, Huang An?

But he is not paraded on tv as culprit without evidence.

It’s called deflection. Besides, being put into internment camps could affect us personally. The SEAs plight, no matter how despicable, doesn’t affect most of us directly. Things closer to home always hit harder.

3 Likes

They could have just said “a man in his thirties who recently traveled abroad” or something similar. Then no one in the neighborhood would know.

4 Likes

Australia’s the main country I was wondering about, although maybe things happened in Europe. But as far as I can tell Australia hasn’t forced evacuation of buildings and mass removal to quarantine centers - the controversial moves there have been quarantines of buildings, and lockdowns stricter than anything we’ve had to deal with here (yet, touch wood).

And found unlawful. If mandating quarantine in your own home is unlawful, then sending people to internment camps is a whole other level of despicable totalitarianism.

6 Likes

A lot of deflection on here these days.

And yes mah freedom is much more important than others’ obesity, diabetes, ChF or whatever else causes them to fear this virus so much. But I forgot, it’s all the fault of the wealthy.

3 Likes

I think the key point here is that, when exceptions are made to the human rights guaranteed by the Constitution, the burden of proof is firmly on the State to demonstrate that people being quarantined (or whatever) are an actual infection risk. Historically, it has always been the case that the State can only do this sort of thing when an individual is clearly ill - quarantining healthy animals is acceptable, but it’s never been done with people.

Even the Australian legislation was framed that way … but it’s being repurposed in ways that are clearly unlawful and outside the intent of the statute. Something similar seems to be happening in Taiwan.

4 Likes

Since the original question was answered long ago, and there are already ~50,000 or so other threads about covid, I think this one can be closed.

For further discussion of the legality or otherwise of covid measures specifically in Taiwan, please use the other thread mentioned earlier.

2 Likes