Foreign female raped by HIV positive man

anyone have any more info about this one?

anyone have any more info about this one?[/quote]
My husband saw a report on this on the news last night. he told me that she was a teenaged daughter of an Embassy representitive. The rapist is in custody and has been tested HIV positive. :frowning:

anyone have any more info about this one?[/quote]
My husband saw a report on this on the news last night. he told me that she was a teenaged daughter of an Embassy representitive. The rapist is in custody and has been tested HIV positive. :frowning:[/quote]
Oh, it gets better. He tested positive a long time ago, in prison, so he knowingly infected her, or tried to.
Lovely chap.
Only 7 years is what he’s facing, apparently. Seems a tad light to me.

[quote=“sandman”] he knowingly infected her, or tried to.
Lovely chap. Only 7 years is what he’s facing, apparently. Seems a tad light to me.[/quote]

A tad? For attempted murder? :loco: I would have him drawn and quartered.

[quote=“jdsmith”]The reasoning that “The shirt told me to do it is really reallllllllllllly lame.”
[/quote]

i don’t think the judge back home would buy it. “but your honor, …”

[quote=“sandman”]Lovely chap.
Only 7 years is what he’s facing, apparently. Seems a tad light to me.[/quote]

taipeitimes.com/News/taiwan/ … 2003307123

believe the seven years is for violating aids control act alone. horrible thing to happen, good to hear bastard was caught.

I’ll say. What kind of deterrent is that? Sick.

Do you think he would not have done it if he would face life imprisonment? I am not saying that he should not get sentenced or only get 7 years, far from it, but I don’t think it would have stopped him or that a longer sentence will stop others. My theory is that people that are willing to commit crimes such as rape, bank robbery etc. are usually aware of the possible consequences without thinking about the number of years they may spend in prison, for them it’s just about (not) getting caught.

Do you think he would not have done it if he would face life imprisonment? I am not saying that he should not get sentenced or only get 7 years, far from it, but I don’t think it would have stopped him or that a longer sentence will stop others. My theory is that people that are willing to commit crimes such as rape, bank robbery etc. are usually aware of the possible consequences without thinking about the number of years they may spend in prison, for them it’s just about (not) getting caught.[/quote]
Much the same as foreigners who believe in bringing liberal drug views to taiwan and complain when someone gets caught.

Do you think he would not have done it if he would face life imprisonment? I am not saying that he should not get sentenced or only get 7 years, far from it, but I don’t think it would have stopped him or that a longer sentence will stop others. My theory is that people that are willing to commit crimes such as rape, bank robbery etc. are usually aware of the possible consequences without thinking about the number of years they may spend in prison, for them it’s just about (not) getting caught.[/quote]
Much the same as foreigners who believe in bringing liberal drug views to Taiwan and complain when someone gets caught.[/quote]

Personally I think its a little sick to compare the two even if you are logically correct. This guy should be chemically castrated.

Sentencing is very light here. Papers are full of people raping children and murdering each other, only to get a few years in prison. As a foreigner is the victim here we can expect a fairly light sentence as it’s only a foreigner after all. Hopefully the father will have him castracted with a rusty knife and left to bleed to death in a silage pit after having been gang-raped by a family of JCBs.

Now. Cue violins for the customary “he was probably abused as a kid/mother didn’t love him” claptrap that we always have to listen to in such cases and the bleeding hearts answer me this: If we as a society were more concerned about the victims of crime than the perpetrators, and when this sicko was himself a victim of crime had society been as interested in him the victim as it was in his abuser and spent as much money on treating him as treating his abuser, would he have committed this crime?

Much the same as foreigners who believe in bringing liberal drug views to Taiwan and complain when someone gets caught.[/quote]

Personally I think its a little sick to compare the two even if you are logically correct. This guy should be chemically castrated.[/quote]
:unamused: I am not comparing the two except for the mentality mentioned by Rascal that often the sentencing consequences of a crime does little to deter the crime from happening in the first place.

But on the comparison subject, there is an awful disparity in the law of a country when a guy like this is facing 7 years max for such a disgusting violation, while someone puffing a joint has the potential to be locked away for life.
I agree with the castration call. I have seen cases like this before in my home country, and it is obvious that these offenders have no control over their actions or any conscience regarding the consequences to their victim. Often they are serial offenders.

Hard to say for sure, IMHO. The line used to be that the probablility of getting caught was the real deterrent rather than sentencing, but detection rates are pretty high in the UK and crime statistics are not falling as this theory would predict. This kind of gives some ammunition to the “throw away the key” brigade. It is noteworthy that there are proposals in the UK to lower the already fairly lenient minimum guidelines for certain types of crime (rape included) in the UK. Let’s see what happens to the statistics.

Yeah, it probably wouldn’t have stopped him but if you put him in jail for the rest of his life he’s not going to do it again. As it is, in 7 years time he’ll be back on the streets and if he is sick enough to do this once, I wouldn’t bet against him doing it again.

my understanding from the article is that he’s facing seven years solely for violating the aids prevention control act. rape and other charges weren’t mentioned and could be in excess of that?

So does this mean the CIA Factbook page can be updated on the HIV status as having at least one HIV-positive person living here or is the government still in denial that anyone here has the disease? Well, I mean, aside from the foreigners… :unamused:

An appropriate punishment: Ordeal By Flammenwerfer! :fume:

Daughter of an embassy oficial?

Which countries embassy? Although the sentence is sickeningly light for the crime itself, it seems odd that it wouldn’t be heavier simply to make sure it didn’t make relations with that country worse.

ImaniOU, health authorities here are well aware that Taiwan has an HIV/AIDS problem and they publish monthly statistics in both English and Chinese on the Web.

doh.gov.tw/statistic/english … tors/5.xls

It’s custom NOT to out the victim of a rape, especially when it’s by someone who is HIV positive.

HG