Foreign Guy Brutally Beaten in Taichung

There is nothing this guy could possibly have done to merit the beating he got. It is completely irrelevant if he was hitting on a girl or doing/selling drugs. If he was involved in drugs or some other illegal activity, the only proper course of action would be to call the police and temporarily detain him until they arrive. The people who attacked him are nothing but brutal thugs who should be locked away for at least a decade or so.

I wish I had never read what some of you shameful pricks have written on here. Your scadenfreude is disgusting. You fucking internet cowards. I hope that guys mother reads this, finds where you live and comes to give a fucking good talking to. You make me ashamed of being part of this site. Maoman, sort out your website, it is turning into a sick joke. The law round here is: ridiculed until proven innocent.
It is sick.

[quote=“Huang Guang Chen”][quote=“Elegua”]JD. I hope you’re right, but I don’t dare to. I’ve seen too much evidence to the contrary.

Justice in Taiwan for me means the lady who got mugged on the street, went to the police, ID’d the criminal and then had the police release her home address to the criminals brother who promptly threatened payback.

Yes. I remember that case. Still unsolved isn’t it?[/quote]

Was that the women that had just flown back from Singapore and apparently disturbed a robbery?

HG[/quote]

I don’t remember that. What sticks in my mind is how her son wandered around for 3 days until someone found him. The husband came back and swore to stay until the crime was solved. I don’t believe it ever was.

Could be. The one I’m thinking of happened after the wife and kids returned early from a trip to Singapore and disturbed a robbery. I think she was beaten with whatever the thief used to break in. Hubby was working for some shoe related company and was away on business. I recall they did catch someone.

I think that was in 1997, when Chen Chin-hsing and his thugs were doing their nastiest. There was initial concern that the murder was related.

Oish. Kid wandering around for three days! Yuurrrgh!

HG

[quote=“TomHill”]I wish I had never read what some of you shameful pricks have written on here. Your scadenfreude is disgusting. You fucking internet cowards. I hope that guys mother reads this, finds where you live and comes to give a fucking good talking to. You make me ashamed of being part of this site. Maoman, sort out your website, it is turning into a sick joke. The law round here is: ridiculed until proven innocent.
It is sick.[/quote]

schadenfreude

[quote=“Huang Guang Chen”]Could be. The one I’m thinking of happened after the wife and kids returned early from a trip to Singapore and disturbed a robbery. I think she was beaten with whatever the thief used to break in. Hubby was working for some shoe related company and was away on business. I recall they did catch someone.

I think that was in 1997, when Chen Chin-hsing and his thugs were doing their nastiest. There was initial concern that the murder was related.

HG[/quote]
I don’t think so guys. MOm was killed and jr was in the house. He was found sitting on the side of the road later that morning.

AFAIK, no one was ever caught.

[quote=“jdsmith”][quote=“Huang Guang Chen”]Could be. The one I’m thinking of happened after the wife and kids returned early from a trip to Singapore and disturbed a robbery. I think she was beaten with whatever the thief used to break in. Hubby was working for some shoe related company and was away on business. I recall they did catch someone.

HG[/quote]
I don’t think so guys. MOm was killed and jr was in the house. He was found sitting on the side of the road later that morning.

AFAIK, no one was ever caught.[/quote]

And that make sit better?

There was no girl involved. There was another foreigner there, a friend of Davey’s, who has had trouble at that place before. For whatever reason, the club security were never able to put the beating on the friend. So I speculate that the beating wasn’t even about drugs, it was payback.

[quote=“Chaon”]

There was no girl involved. There was another foreigner there, a friend of Davey’s, who has had trouble at that place before. For whatever reason, the club security were never able to put the beating on the friend. So I speculate that the beating wasn’t even about drugs, it was payback.[/quote]

nothing could be more sure than it wasn’t about drugs. “payback” seems to imply this friend put a major beating on someone?? or what

Monster,

Your post reminds me of some of my buddies back in BC in the club security business.

1. Drug dealers: they would confiscate drugs, and maybe ask the guy to leave the premises if he was too obvious. If he was connected, then perhaps ask him to be less conspicuous
  2. Beatings: It ain’t done, because of the law. These security guys arent’ felons, and they don’t wanna be. Thing is, Canada has laws. Taiwan, not so much (or enforced rather).
  3. They will stop fights, but not if it’s a crazy vietnamese or pakistani thug-wanna be. Too many of them carry guns.
  4. They don’t engage in fights as much as possible or embarass anyone in a beating, because they’d always have to watch for the payback. The goal is to detain and shut down guys before things get out of control. That’s partly why they’re still alive, and have no enemies.

Obviously, these rules don’t apply much in many parts of the world. Taiwan is no surprise.

[quote=“Tempo Gain”][quote=“Chaon”]

There was no girl involved. There was another foreigner there, a friend of Davey’s, who has had trouble at that place before. For whatever reason, the club security were never able to put the beating on the friend. So I speculate that the beating wasn’t even about drugs, it was payback.[/quote]

nothing could be more sure than it wasn’t about drugs. “payback” seems to imply this friend put a major beating on someone?? or what[/quote]

No foreigner inflicted beatings, just real bad blood between the club manager and a few people. I don’t know how it started or how many incidents there were.

Has this guy’s mom had a website set up? Plan to?

JD, I think you might consider changing the adverb in the thread title to “brutally” or something equivalent.

I do hope Mayor Hu will be pushed into doing something about that place. I’m sure he will if the Dutch trade office kicks up enough of a stink, or if questions are raised about it in the Legislative Yuan, or if he’s given a hard enough time about it in the city council. Just trying to make it go away by throwing a bag of money at the victim is way, way insufficient.

I’m quite sure that if a Taiwanese had received a beating like that from the staff of any kind of establishment in Antwerp or Rotterdam, the place would have been closed down and the perpetrators arrested in very quick order.

[quote][quote=“Omniloquacious”]JD, I think you might consider changing the adverb in the thread title to “brutally” or something equivalent.[/quote]Done, I really had no idea this thing was so serious.

[quote]I do hope Mayor Hu will be pushed into doing something about that place. I’m sure he will if the Dutch trade office kicks up enough of a stink, or if questions are raised about it in the Legislative Yuan, or if he’s given a hard enough time about it in the city council. Just trying to make it go away by throwing a bag of money at the victim is way, way insufficient. [/quote][/quote] Maybe someone might put a link to their office in Taiwan.

How about we all start calling our trade offices and start askign annoying questions like how is the rule of law applied in this country, how safe are we as foreigners, what is our office doing to ensure our safety, are they providing support for the Dutch offices attempts to get a proper investigation going? No need to do this in an aggressive way. Just state that this case has you worried being a foreigner in Taiwan and you think your office should get involved as this could have repercussions for us all if nothing is done yet again, when a foreigner is attacked.

ntio@ntio.org.tw

This is the general affairs email of the Netherlands trade office in Taipei.

and their info:
Address: 5F, No. 133, Min Sheng East Road, Section 3, Taipei-105, Taiwan
Tel.: +886-2-27135760
Fax: +886-2-27130194

I can see that I am going to have to go back to Taichung to clean that town up. :wink:

Bassthesherrifiscomin’man

Dude, we all know it’s wrong but there is no way to win ‘by force’ as a foreigner in Taiwan. If you met me I’m sure you’d think I shouldn’t be fighting anyone but I sure don’t cower behind my sofa like you’re convinced everyone is doing. I have some large and reliable buddies in Taichung - both Taiwanese and furrn - who would back me up in a pinch but so what? I fight with some Taiwanese dude, he calls his buddies, I end up in hospital, he wins. I fight with some Taiwanese dude, get a lucky punch in, he ends up in hospital, I get slaughtered by the police, courts and media, he wins. Now I know you will probably come up with some anecdotes now about how you totally pulped some guy and it turned out peachy but I’m just some regular 165lb guy who wants to get on with his life without being at war with the whole of Taiwan.

So what do you suggest the foreign community do by ‘show of force?’ Cause I honestly don’t get it.

taipeitimes.com/News/taiwan/ … 2003377448

[quote=“Omniloquacious”]JD, I think you might consider changing the adverb in the thread title to “brutally” or something equivalent.

I do hope Mayor Hu will be pushed into doing something about that place. I’m sure he will if the Dutch trade office kicks up enough of a stink, or if questions are raised about it in the Legislative Yuan, or if he’s given a hard enough time about it in the city council. Just trying to make it go away by throwing a bag of money at the victim is way, way insufficient.

I’m quite sure that if a Taiwanese had received a beating like that from the staff of any kind of establishment in Antwerp or Rotterdam, the place would have been closed down and the perpetrators arrested in very quick order.[/quote]

Hang on, who is the management? Chaon posted earlier that there was “real bad blood between the club manager and a few people.” It could be that these thugs are trying to shut down a rival pub, no?

HG