Foreign Students On Visas Must Leave USA If Schools Go Online-Only

Nonimmigrant F-1 and M-1 students attending schools operating entirely online may not take a full online course load and remain in the United States. The U.S. Department of State will not issue visas to students enrolled in schools and/or programs that are fully online for the fall semester nor will U.S. Customs and Border Protection permit these students to enter the United States. Active students currently in the United States enrolled in such programs must depart the country or take other measures, such as transferring to a school with in-person instruction to remain in lawful status. If not, they may face immigration consequences including, but not limited to, the initiation of removal proceedings.

Nonimmigrant F-1 students attending schools adopting a hybrid model—that is, a mixture of online and in person classes—will be allowed to take more than one class or three credit hours online. These schools must certify to SEVP, through the Form I-20, “Certificate of Eligibility for Nonimmigrant Student Status,” certifying that the program is not entirely online, that the student is not taking an entirely online course load this semester, and that the student is taking the minimum number of online classes required to make normal progress in their degree program. The above exemptions do not apply to F-1 students in English language training programs or M-1 students pursing vocational degrees, who are not permitted to enroll in any online courses.

–

So, Harvard (and nearly all other Ivy League relationship-building schools), Cal-State Univs., and 8% other schools. The list could grow.

1 Like

An AP story on the same issue. Can someone explain to me what the hell is the US government doing?!

Guy

2 Likes

Forcing reopening of institutions as early as possible as a desperate face saving measure. This directly affects several of my students.

Theres stupid. then theres Trump stupid

7 Likes

I wonder if they are preparing cages for international students too.

Come on USA! Get your act together! :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

Guy

1 Like

I hope all international students leave. Let the US universities be starved of funding. Let corporations beg the govt. to change immigration due to lack of skilled workers. Let Chinese corporations and universities have more patents, research and output. Then it’ll hit the bottom line of the likes of Apple google Microsoft and Harvard MIT Stanford. That’s how it’ll improve. Ofcourse it hurts people in the interim but that was always a given, with Dunkin Donald at the helm.

1 Like

Yes it will. International travel is really hard right now. Why would you force students to leave—effectively deporting them? It’s utterly ridiculous, and I expect the US courts to (yet again) rule against this irrational dictate.

Guy

3 Likes

I’m not saying I like it. I was a student there as well. But if they’re not welcome in the country anymore it’s better that they leave. In any case ICE may force them too.

Good for them. They’ll make their lives in other countries like Taiwan Canada UK. Somewhere, where they’re valued & come with reasonable immigration policies. It’s America’s loss.

You’re giving up too much.

I predict this dictate will be challenged in the courts, and the Trump administration will again lose.

Guy

1 Like

Just for reference.
Origin of foreign students in U.S.

7 Likes

“Berkeley students are creating a 1-unit, face-to-face, student-led class to help international students avoid deportation due to new ICE regulations,” wrote a Berkeley Urban Studies student in a tweet now removed.

betcha that student never thought he’d wanna commit federal crimes when he got his acceptance letter into Cal

1 Like

Writing at The Chronicle of Higher Education, a former president of Macalester College states:

There is no soft-pedaling this: It is among the most mean-spirited policies we have seen from an administration that embraces meanness every day.

We can expect legal challenges to this new guidance, though I have no idea if any are likely to succeed, and we can expect various professional organizations and universities to lobby Congress to force a change in the policy. What we should not expect is for ICE to have a change of heart, since this presupposes the existence of a heart.

Source: https://www.chronicle.com/article/The-Cruelty-of-ICE-s/249133?cid=wcontentgrid_hp_1b

Guy

USA is still more open to students than AUS/NZ which is now 100% closed to entry to ANY non resident. America still permits Taiwan students if classes are offered in person.

1 Like

Are AUS/NZ deporting or threatening to deport students if their unis go with online teaching?

This is America’s special contribution to this situation.

Guy

The situation is what it is. It really won’t change the course of world events. These things never do in the grand scheme of things.
Perhaps this is what’s happening.
The orange-man is fighting for not only his political life (to get re-elected), but also his post-presidential life if he is not re-elected (which will probably be worse than the last 3.5 years.). The hounding won’t end if he loses, it’ll get worse most likely. With that in mind, he is fighting his war/political career asymmetrically on 5 or more fronts. This decision on overseas students can take on 2 birds with one stone. 1) China. Young Chinese hate America/Trump anyway. Big deal if this adds to their hatred (in Trump’s mind). It’s also part of the trade war. China really can’t retaliate, because what Americans go to China as students, except Chinese language (maybe Taiwan might see influx of American coming here to study Chinese, who knows). Yeah, there’s a few U.S. school programs in China, but not much in terms of students. 2) Schools & getting U.S. back to some semblance of normal world again and Americans’ mind off of what happened from March til June in regards to lockdowns. Now it’s up to those 9-10% of schools that go fully online to decide if they want to reverse their decision. If they don’t, they’re losing billions of dollars. This will also make parents forking over $50,000 for an online education to think twice about burning money in such a stupid way. Might as well sign up with online University of Phoenix for their kid(s) and with the money saved, buy them a used car, or buy an RV and go on more vacations together, because can’t go traveling abroad for fun.

Anyway, foreign students have become collateral. Perhaps unfortunate, but life shall go on.
When life throws you a lemon, you can either squirt a person in the eye with it, or go make some lemonade.

2 Likes

Maybe there’ll be properties in those cities up for sale as well? I think this is another indication of how Trump is being manipulated by China. If those houses/condos that were purchased for “students” by the Chinese elite have to remain empty and ultimately be sold, the Chinese gov’t can get their hands on the money.

Or they might go and make this

MIT and Harvard did not waste time with a lawsuit:

Harvard, MIT Sue Trump Administration Over International-Student Policy

Policy forbids international students from staying in U.S. if classes are taught entirely online

1 Like

It’s to go after China, but will hurt some students not from China as well.

But in reality, is it even that big of a deal? Online will be temporary, for a semester probably. Foreign students are mostly on summer break in their home countries anyways. It just means they get to stay home and save rent for a semester and return when school is back.

Good pint, though international travel is not exactly easy these days, with likely quarantines required leaving and returning, and the possibility of restrictions on re-entry when schools return. I’d bet lots of international students did not go back, given current circumstances. Would be interesting to know the proportion that stay throughout the year.

1 Like

It could be true, I would have thought most got out before summer? Idk for sure.