Foreign Teacher at Tamkang Uni beats helpless dog

Original Title: Just for the record…

A rather weird incident, involving a foreigner who is being identified as “Tamkang professor” and a black dog. He’s being accussed of hitting the dog in the middle of the night. There is a surveillance camera video. See the video at the link:

http://video.chinatimes.com/video-cate-cnt.aspx?cid=6&nid=9208

They say the guy lives nearby -and hence has been identified. The dog is described as “quiet and calm”.

Local reaction (in Chinese): http://www.atlaspost.com/landmark-1459102.htm

Jeez! Nice plumber’s crack on that fat bastard. Is it in the interest of the foreign community to out jackasses like this? I don’t know who he is, but I’m sure someone does.

Yep, I was thinking: maybe he’s trying to “free” the dog and we are seeing it from a different angle… hopefully it is a misundestanding. Or maybe he’s someone who needs help (of the hospital kind).

Anyhow, if it is not appropiate please delete/move to Temp. It is in the hands of the authorities right now. And out in the TV news.

I don’t see any beating going on. I see some manhandling – maybe – it’s hard to tell. I know i"m often a lot rougher than that with my own dog and various others that live around me and who I fraternize with. I really can’t tell. If he lives around there, maybe the dog’s a buddy and its their routine. If someone filmed ME giving my buddy Hsiaohei down the street the old “fist thrust into the mouth for a friendly gnaw” routine it would look a LOT worse than that – that little bastard draws blood, sometimes! He IS a fat bastard, though, so he should be pilloried for that alone. I DO see some pretty creative editing though, especially the cute wagging tail and those kind brown eyes.

I think there should be an [allegedly] added to the title since it really isnt clear that he is beating it…? My connection is pretty bad so the picture jerks too much. I get weird looks when Im playing with my dog as well, were there marks, tenderness or any other evidence?

and what about criticizing the owner for leaving his dog chained outside on the street???

And if he was getting a beating, why didnt the owner respond to the dogs “yelps” (clear sign its noot having fun)

[quote=“itakitez”]I think there should be an [allegedly] added to the title since it really isnt clear that he is beating it…? My connection is pretty bad so the picture jerks too much. I get weird looks when Im playing with my dog as well, were there marks, tenderness or any other evidence?

and what about criticizing the owner for leaving his dog chained outside on the street???

And if he was getting a beating, why didnt the owner respond to the dogs “yelps” (clear sign its noot having fun)[/quote]

My thoughts, too.

Many times, I’ve had the impulse of unchaining some poor dog who spends days and nights out in the rain and heavy sun on a short chain. Alas, the knowledge that the cameras are grinding away and the consequences of being an atoga on the wrong side of the law prevent me from doing so.

In this case, I give the guy the benefit of the doubt as:

1. fact checking is a mystery for most news programs here
  2. furriners are mostly presented as the "attackers’ no matter what
  3. the quality and lenght of teh video leaves a lot open to interpretation

Sincerely, I do not think the guy is aware he’s on the news. The doggie did not look any worse for the alleged “beating”. And the guy better be aware of what is going on so he gets his game plan straight, if you know what I mean.

Doesnt look like he was playing with the dog , especially at 4 in the morning.

That’s why I am more on the “release gone wrong, owner makes up accusation” theory.

Overall weird incident.

It looks to me like he’s picking the dog up by it’s chain and tossing it about. But as mentioned by others, it’s hard to tell from that angle and the poor lighting.
In any event, it looks like the antics of a drunken fat slob up to no good in the early morning hours.

[quote=“TheGingerMan”]It looks to me like he’s picking the dog up by it’s chain and tossing it about. But as mentioned by others, it’s hard to tell from that angle and the poor lighting.
In any event, it looks like the antics of a drunken fat slob up to no good in the early morning hours.[/quote]

We shouldn’t tolerate dog(cat/animal/people) beating of any kind by anyone!
No matter if the beating is administered by a local (Taiwanese), a foreigner, or martian.
I also think the guy picked up the (female) dog and threw her around a bit. Fat slob he was and my question exactly, WHAT WAS HE DOING AT THAT TIME OF MORNING? :bluemad:
Get him!!! I hope he gets what he deserves by his foolish behavior after being intoxicated (drugged/drunk/whatever)!!

By the way, someone mentioned the fact that the dog was chained outside…this is a common practice here. Most people have dogs as watchguard. To make sure the dogs don’t wonder around/away, the people chain their dogs like that. There was an incident which happened in Cha-Yi where a man knifed a dog in the face because the dog barked at him. I’ll try to find this news article later and post it here (if I could find it).
Knifing a dog in the face!!! :bluemad: :fume: The dog lost one eye, that bastard who did this showed no remorse. :bluemad: :fume:
So what if the dog barked at him or the fat slob?
These dogs in these incidents were tied up. They wouldn’t be able to attack ANYONE! :bluemad: :fume:

True. Unless of course its a case of the local “media” (ha! ha! ha!) jumping on some footage of a dirty barbarian foreigner doing “something. Maybe. Possibly” and milking it for all its worth as yet further “proof” of the general superiority of the fine upstanding Taiwanese citizenry in comparison with these filthy amoral slobs they allow onto the pristine unsullied shores of their precious fucking “Ihla Formosa.”
I’d sure like to hear the whole story. 'Aint going to happen, though. Not with the numb braindead fucks who provide us with our “news” in this festering cesspool.

What’s with the ‘fat slob’ thing?

Innocent until proven foreign.

Inconclusive. You can’t even tell from the video whether the bloke is foreign, as alleged.

We’ll have to consult an inter-racial plumber’s-crackologist before we know for sure!!

But as to what Sandman said, as usual it’s highly exaggerated :raspberry: but it does contain an important truth: video footage of a foreigner apparently abusing a dog is much more newsworthy here than that of a Taiwanese person doing the same thing.

But… but … Taiwanese people don’t do things like that. :whistle:

Bloody foreigners! Coming to our country! Taking our jobs! Stealing our wimmin! Drinking our beer! Hang the lot of them I say!

Pretty much. It’s only newsworthy when it’s a foreigner doing it. “Look! Large, non-Taiwanese beast doing something 50% of the local population does on a regular basis! Bad! Wrong! Fucking foreigners!”

If the dog was mistreated, which is hard to discern from the video, I feel bad for the dog, and the guy should get his punishment. Hard to say though, given the way the local media distorts most everything beyond recognition.

hey calm down there animal lover

I am not condoning violence purportrated against animals on any level here, regardless of whether the locals are doing it not

My point in the chaining up comment is

1. dog chained outside, is that a good home for a dog? Has the owner showed he cares for his dog by leaving him chained out there, most likely without anyy further exercise or stimulation

2. do you know how long the chain is, where the furriner lives and what the dog is doing? Is it evident that the guy doeos not live above that ground floor appt and the dog’s chain is of sufficient length to prevent attacking a passer-by trying to access his property?

3. why are you also adding counts of drunk in charge of a vehicle to the animal abuse? is that evident too?

On a positive note, I think this is good as it serves as a warning against others from repeating such offense, but also there needs to be more noise control/environmental police action against problem “pets” such as this should such noise disturbance have prompted the action to have occurred (admitedly this is also me transposing facts from experience)

PS it’s ‘glandular’

what about the owners who care less about their dogs and just let them roam around the area… my cute little westie was already sexually harrassed a dozen of times while I walk her, and sometimes I need to take some panphlet with me to make all those unneutered hunks go away from my pristine girl. I’m still waiting to see if she has been neutered or not, so I don’t know if any of them jumps on to her what will happen. I don’t want to have puppies (unless of course I find another westie).

And for that matter… how many of you were already scolded by the local populace because you are petting their dogs?