Foreign work visa application eligibility for Overseas Taiwanese Nationals (NWOHR)

hello, I really hope someone can help me here. I’ve been desperate looking for an answer and no one has been able to provide a clear answer.

I’m a dual nationality of Indonesia and Taiwan. I recently got offered a job at a company in Thailand. I’m wondering if I can work in Thailand as a Taiwanese (on paper) but then, I only have Taiwanese passport and Residence Permit (TARC, 3-year validity) but NO citizenship as I have not registered Household Registration (need to stay in Taiwan for 1 year to do so as I’m over 20). So, I called the TH Embassy based in Taiwan and the staff on the line (who does not seem very knowledgeable honestly) told me that I do need Citizen ID and Residence Certificate is not enough. However, on their Embassy website, it says the applicant can give either National ID or National Residence Certificate (see point no.4 in this page). I would be very grateful if someone can shed some light on this please :frowning:

for more context, I’ve lived all my childhood in Indonesia. And this new company I will be working for is a Chinese tech company full of mainlanders, Taiwanese and of course Thai. So, I don’t want to stand out as the only Indonesian if you get what I mean. As I can speak and read Mandarin on top of required JD skills, they hired me but did not seem to appreciate my Indonesian nationality that much in the interview.

The Chinese version of the same webpage you referred to requires Taiwan National ID card, while the English version allows for a “Taiwan Residence Certificate”. It’s possible they are referring to ARC (which is also a Taiwan Residence Certificate) for non-Taiwan passport holders from certain countries who are applying from within Taiwan (Indonesia is not one of them).

If you bring this discrepancy between the Chinese and English webpages to the attention of the Thai consulate in Taiwan, they might have a better explanation for you.

Why didn’t you tell them you are a Taiwan-Indonesia dual national? Anyway, you can still tell them when you introduce yourself to your team on your first day of work.

I thought Indonesia was very strict on not allowing dual citizenship?

When a country doesn’t allow dual citizenship, it means you must renounce your previous citizenship(s) when you naturalize. It usually doesn’t mean you aren’t allowed to obtain another citizenship later. Even if that’s the case (as it is with China), there is no way they can enforce that because they wouldn’t know.

There’s no way the Indonesian government could have possibly known that OP obtained Taiwan NWOHR citizenship, or any other citizenship in the future.

1 Like

Not always. Many countries resort to automatic revocation upon finding out.

1 Like

Admittedly I’m picking nits here, but I think that “NWOHR citizenship” is a misleading term, because NWOHRs have no HHR, and as such have no rights/responsibilities that are traditionally associated with citizenship. So I think that just having NWOHR status does not equate with “citizenship”, which only occurs after one is able to register one’s HHR, thereby gaining “citizenship” rights/responsibilities and losing the NWOHR status.

Yes, but that requires actually finding out.

Taiwan has two types of citizenships. One with rights and responsibilities, and the other without. Both are considered citizenship.

1 Like

No one claimed that. However if Indonesian government finds out he become a citizen of another country they will revoke his Indonesian citizenship.

Yes, like oh so are living and working in Taiwan show us your visa entry and exit stamps and your ARC. Why is there no visa in your Indonesian passport?

Why would OP tell the Indonesian government he is working or living in Taiwan?

I have dual PRC and ROC citizenship, and each country doesn’t know about the other.

Do you have some references on this topic?

For instance, Wikipedia says:

What happens when he returns to Indonesia and there are no entry and exit stamps for being overseas in his passport?

So you have a China Hukou and China ID card?

You have a Hong Kong ID card not PRC Hukou and ID.

“National” and “citizen” are synonyms in the English language. Some countries have different legal interpretations between “national” and “citizen”, but Taiwan doesn’t. In fact, Taiwan’s laws are not even English.

Many countries don’t give you stamps. For all they know, OP could have been touring the world, and visiting all the countries in the world that don’t give stamps.

We’ve had this conversation before.

I have a Hong Kong PRC passport, with a HK ID card. HK follows the Chinese Nationality Law.

Yes, but unless I’m mistaken, the Taiwan Ministry of Justice itself uses the English term “non-citizen ROC national” or similar to describe NWOHRs. If there are Taiwan MOJ sources that use the English word “citizen” to describe NWOHRs, I’d be interested in seeing that, because I haven’t seen such a concept so far.

They would know if you are flying to and from Taiwan and Indonesia and no stamps.

PRC and ROC don’t recognise each others’ passports. No way to see stamps on an unrecognised passport.