Foreign work visa application eligibility for Overseas Taiwanese Nationals (NWOHR)

Yes, but they also use the term “national” to describe a Taiwanese with HHR. They are interchangeable.

See my reply to STV above.

Taiwan definitely stamps. Most countries still do.

You wouldn’t tell them you entered Taiwan! For all they know, your last connecting flight was in Taiwan.

Dude, they know where your flight is coming from. They are informed beforehand.

Your passport info is shared with them when you check in.

Germany used to do that. They changed course and allow multiple citizenship’s and now are making a new law to remove the requirement to renounce when getting German citizenship.
Immigration is important for German aging society.

Yes, they will know the flight number you arrived on, and know that the flight came from Taiwan, but they won’t know where you have been prior.

Besides, not having an entry stamp to another country isn’t sufficient evidence that you have a second citizenship. Maybe you are a close friend of President Tsai and she waived the requirement for you to have your passport stamped? Or maybe you had your passport stamped but you accidentally tore out that page? Or maybe the immigration officer simply messed up and forgot to stamp your passport?

Nobody asks to see your passport stamps from a different country when you’re entering a country. Even if they notice the lack of stamps from another country, it’s not their job to investigate why, and they can’t just revoke your citizenship without concrete evidence or visual confirmation of your other passport. Otherwise you may end up stateless.

Yes, growing up I had a friend who was a dual German and US citizen. Back in those days, Germany revoked your citizenship if they somehow found out you had another citizenship, but there wasn’t really a way they could possibly find out unless they had some kind of visual confirmation or proof of your other passport.

My friend traveled frequently between Germany and the US with no issues, even though there were no entry stamps of the other country in his passports.

Initially they told me I had to decide for one citizenship when I turn 18. But then it changed and having two citizenship’s was not an issue.

So how did they find out you had another citizenship? (Edited)

@slawa’s not american

1 Like

I moved to Germany young and acquired German citizenship by heritage laws. My parents had to renounce other citizenship.

I took the tradition of moving to another country to extreme by moving countries 5 times so far. We live in a time where things change rather quickly. But it is out of curiosity not due to necessity.

1 Like

So you initially entered Germany on your other passport. Then it makes sense that they would know.

I think you have never traveled on an Indonesian passport before as they do not get visa exempt entry to nearly all countries. So they go through immigration check points not e gates.

Thank you for helping me. I think your guess could be it. “Taiwan Residence Certificate” could be an ARC which is only issued to foreign residents. Mine (TARC) is for the nationals without household registration. Then maybe the embassy guy on the phone is right. I cannot apply at the embassy in Taiwan.

I also checked with Thailand embassies in other SEA countries such as Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos and they all told me that I do not need to provide an ID card, only passport is sufficient. Same goes for Thailand Immigration who issues the work permit and visa. So maybe it will work? But my worry is what if I go back to Taiwan and they find the work visa stamp on my passport? Haha

On your last point, well, I’ve told them that during the interview but I was born and raised in Indonesia (till I was 18 before migrating to US for school), that makes me a lot more Indonesian than taiwanese. The bosses who hired me don’t care about it but not sure other work partners and stakeholders will feel the same.

TARC can only be issued to Taiwan nationals not foreign residents.

1 Like

Ask the OP about getting his Indonesian passport inspected when entering and departing foreign countries and Indonesia.

Also, he turns up at an airline counter in Indonesia and wants to fly to a country where Indonesians require a visa, and has no visa in the passport and the airline has no record of him having a visa. He would need to show his Taiwan passport with the work permit for Thailand. Or he loses his passport and tries to renew it overseas and they ask for identity proof from an ARC / work permit.

Yes, but he wouldn’t show his Indonesian passport.

The “Taiwan residence certificate” (as in, a residence certificate for Taiwan) we are talking about, which is stated in the website, is probably referring to an ARC, not TARC. This is the conclusion we are drawing based on context.

Different requirements for different passports. In the case of Taiwan, they probably need your ID to make sure you are not a NWOHR.