Foreigner in a Mercedes involved in hit and run

[quote=“bob”]What time did the accident happen?

Who phoned the ambulance?[/quote]

Accident happened mid-morning.

[quote=“bob”][quote=“Belgian Pie”]I’m not defending anyone, nor accusing … I’m questioning …

My MIL got killed by a probable DUI driver a few years ago (4:30AM), did the press jump on it as flies on a pile of poop … no, because it was just an old lady that got killed by a piss poor guy, living of binlang and Whisby … he wasn’t even insured … did the family get a penny? No. He got jail time … and it was a hit&run … they found the guy a few days later thanks to the cameras hanging around here … thankfully.

My MIL was just walking alongside the street … going through her daily routine.

My BIL got killed on his scooter, mid day, crossing an intersection … I have no idea if the driver of the other vehicle was drunk or not … the driver didn’t run because it was too busy on the street … I believe they said he was driving a BMW … speeding?

In time all the facts will be established and the guilty will be punished … maybe

Everyday in Taiwan there is a DUI hit&run somewhere … it doesn’t even make the news …

When driving from here to Taipei there is fat chance that I cross an accident scene, sometimes fatal … should I feel sorrow … it brings me back to reality, that Taiwan’s roads are very dangerous … and my wife’s probably right, she doesn’t want me driving a scooter into Taipei …

So, should we feel sorrow for the scooter driver that got killed by a ‘foreigner’ … you can feel sorrow for all people getting killed in wars, lack of food and water … it’ll make your life pretty hard I guess …[/quote]

That doesn’t quite add up here. This story was on the news BEFORE they knew who hit him. Or maybe they knew and were just setting it up. I wouldn’t put ANYTHING past them.[/quote]

A retired policeofficer who was aware of the accident walked past the garage where they had left the car -after telling the guy’s girlfriend allegedly told mechanic they wanted to get rid of the car, not fix it, arousing the mechanic’s suspicions- and the retird policeman apparently called it in, after confirmed with mechanic’s account and the local cops added 1 +2 and got 5. (meaning they thought there was something fishy)

[quote=“Icon”][quote=“bob”]What time did the accident happen?

Accident happened mid-morning.[/quote]

Thanks.

I only ask because I think that in this kind of situation MOST people would automatically feel some kind of empathy towards the victim. Can you imagine the WUMP! you’d feel as the car hit the person’s body hard enough to do that much damage. They would automatically, if they were possesed of any normal human capacity for empathy, set their minds to DOING something for the person. They left him there in the middle of the morning, when somebody else would almost definitely phome an ambulance just as quickly as they could have, that’s one thing, if it had been in the middle of the night that would be another.

How much time between the time of the accident and the time that they were trying to dispose of the evidence I wonder.

Then again, maybe I’ll let this one go for a bit…

Not that it makes much difference. This poor guy has set himself up for a universe of harsh judgements.

That’s kind of the point, isn’t it? Just because one guy asks about the victim, somebody else says the driver is a nice guy, and a third person says, “Well, at least he didn’t shoot at any cats with a BB gun”, you think you’ve struck upon some kind of general truth? A consensus that everybody is nodding their heads to, and going “ayep, that’s exactly what I’m thinking”? Most people here have expressed dismay that this happened. When the truth outs, and it will, you can be sure that the appropriate expressions of disgust will also find their way to the boards. Until then, it’s all just speculation based on what we’re hearing from the local media. My three-year old presents information more reliably than they do, so I wouldn’t put too much stock into their reports, nor to any reactions to it.[/quote]

I mean that I don’t know if I should believe you who says ‘no you are wrong,’ or Belgian Pie who says ‘yes you are right.’

One of you has to be right, right?

Between Maoman and Belgian Pie? You don’t know whom to believe??? Well…

My goodness…can I actually say it? :laughing: I think Canadian expats are starting to clean themselves up!!! :bravo: The last two scandals have involved ex-Rhodesian and Scot (UK) expats. And they were business people, not educational services people.

Perhaps the critiques on these boards have influenced people to keep their nose clean.

[quote=“Icon”][quote=“bob”]What time did the accident happen?

This report said the accident happened at 5:07am…

[quote=“plasmatron”][quote=“Icon”][quote=“bob”]What time did the accident happen?

This report said the accident happened at 5:07am…[/quote]

could be. i just watched one video, and i may be wrong. it does show a 3 day timeline, can anyone confirm?

EDIT:

Yep, 5am.

[quote]中國時報【林郁平/台北報導】

送報員黃俊德清晨五點在北市忠孝東路四段突遭後方車輛猛烈追撞身亡,
[/quote]

and

[quote]4點50分離開這間酒店,他供稱有酒店少爺幫他開車,但卓姓服務生說,他在一個街口外就被趕下車,連小費都沒拿到;5點09分,這台賓士車就在忠孝東路,追撞黃姓男子騎乘的機車,隨後逃逸無蹤。
[/quote]

something else important happened at 12, lemme look…

etaiwannews.com/etn/news_con … ety_TAIWAN

Suspected British hit-and-run driver prohibited departure

Taiwan News, Staff Writer
2010-03-28 10:31 AM

An alleged British native driver involving in a car crash that killed a 30-some year-old man March 25 in Taipei was granted bail and faced prohibition of departure, according to local media report Sunday.

Zain Dean, a British-born Indian, 38, CEO of British NCL Media Taiwan branch, was suspected to involve in a deadly car crash that caused the death of Huang Chun-te around 5 a.m., March 25 as he delivered newspaper on Jhongsiao East Rd. in Taipei.

Dean, who has resided in Taiwan for more than ten years, allegedly commissioned his girlfriend, [color=#FF0000]a native Taiwanese[/color], to deliver his Mercedes-Benz that hit Huang to a recycling plant for disintegration, which was stopped by the police just in time.

Dean denied his involvement in the accident and argued that the driver was a staff in a club where he visited just before the crash occurred when questioned.

The police found it impossible for the club staff, surnamed Cho, to return to the club in six minutes after delivering Dean home, the report said.

Around 3 p.m. March 27, Dean was transferred to Taipei District Prosecutors Office for re-hearing grounded on Offenses Against Public Safety. Dean was granted bailed around 6:30 p.m. paying NT$150,000 and prohibited from leaving Taiwan or going to sea.

The deceased Huang did several jobs to support his family as his mother suffered a stroke and his father was unable to work, according to the report.

It reminds me of when a night-shift nurse was hit and killed by a drunk driver entertainer a few years back, the people who get hit are often just making ends meet.

I saw a post in PTT which is the largest BBS in Taiwan. A retired police found someone sent a new Mercedes to the recycling plant near his home for disintegration. In terms of his experience, he felt weird and called the police station to gather evidence…

This case was solved at 2:30 AM on 27 Mar. Thanks for all the people who contributing for this.

Icon: Actually, I think we better follow Maoman’s lead on this one…

Yes, indeed.

Yup, he is denying that he was even driving the car at this point. We should wait before commenting on somebody that might be completely innocent. I think it’s a good policy.

Wow, who was driving then?

Seems like the timeline is like this

Leaves club at just before 5am, hotel boy is paid to drive him home, this places 2 people in the car.

Hotel boy claims he was ejected from car around the corner (he returns to work 6 minutes after leaving - seems to collaborate with this claim).

Then around 5am there is a fatal hit-and-run involving his car, but he claims he wasnt driving.

Defence attorney scabbling to come up with plausable explanation. …

Im with Tom Hill on this, seems like you gotta be rich and handsome in this world otherwise a puritan who never ever even puts a tiny foot outta place.

Makes sense. That’s why they are riding a scooter instead of a car.

The Taipei Times has the story here taipeitimes.com/News/taiwan/ … 2003469229

It reports Prosecutors say;

• surveillance footage outside the pub showed Dean getting into the driver seat.
  • Dean booked a flight to Kinmen after the accident

It amazes me what the Prosecutors will release to the media in Taiwan.

[quote=“Gman”]The Taipei Times has the story here taipeitimes.com/News/taiwan/ … 2003469229

It reports Prosecutors say;

• surveillance footage outside the pub showed Dean getting into the driver seat.
  • Dean booked a flight to Kinmen (Jinmen) after the accident

It amazes me what the Prosecutors will release to the media in Taiwan.[/quote]

Why Kinmen? Was he in the mood for more drinking?
:laughing:

Why shouldn’t they? If there is strong evidence of someone having committed a serious crime, why shouldn’t it be made public knowledge? The public have an interest in being kept informed about the state of detection and prosecution in such cases. I can’t see any good reason for the details of the state’s case against the accused to be kept confidential before being presented in the public trial proceedings.

With regard to the specifics of this case: As reported thus far, there is clearly a very strong case against the accused. The acts of which he is accused are extremely repugnant in all respects, and warrant very heavy punishment. If he is guilty as accused, I see absolutely no extenuating circumstances and will not have a grain of sympathy for whatever consequences he suffers. As a man of means, he can surely well afford to pay any amount of fine and compensation that the criminal and civil courts might possibly impose upon him. So if he is guilty as charged, these amounts should be set at their highest applicable levels, and he should serve at least two or three years in prison to properly reflect the severity of the crimes committed and their terrible impact on the lives of the victim and his family.

If, however, the facts as reported are inaccurate and he truly was not driving the vehicle (he has apparently admitted his drunkenness, so that aspect is not in issue), or is even entirely guiltless of any criminally blameworthy conduct, then I hope he will be able to persuade the court of this at his trial and escape any sanction.

And just for the record: As a basic principle, anyone who drives drunk deserves to be severely punished, and in most cases I would support their being put behind bars. Anyone who causes death by drunk driving is a despicable killer who deserves to be jailed for a long time. It doesn’t matter who the offender is: whether he or she is young or old, Taiwanese or foreigner, rich or poor, a public figure or an anonymous nobody, their terrible and inexcusable crime should earn them the utmost public shaming and the same level of punishment as befits, for example, an armed robber, rapist or child-molester.

Omni - good points

Maybe the lack of interest in this thread is that it is so cut-and-dry, if he was drink driving he has only himself to blame (even if this was a very bad error of judgment MT, it was still an error of judgment made more inexusable by the fact he could easily afford a taxi home.)

Does anyone know which law he would be prosecuted under? manslaughter? (negligent) assault with a deadly weapon? or a combination like dangerous driving and DUI? Any other entries on his wrap sheet? like attempting to pervert the cause of justice/destruction of evidence/fleeing the scene of an accident? Are their criminal laws cumulative? like, could he end up with a long strech and would he be allowed to “buy himself out” like Mrs Chen?