Foreigner in Miaoli with bunch of dogs

hmmm…someone posted about this on the SPCA site on Facebook.
An American living in Miaoli that is without a home and job now…with 5 foster dogs. Anyone know about this?

facebook.com/note.php?note_i … 9&comments

That totally looks like Will Ferrell.

According to the local Chinese press, his name is Mike or Michael in his 40s, currently unemployed.
His visa is going to expire by the end of May; theoretically he’d be out of the country very soon.

udn.com/NEWS/SOCIETY/BREAKINGNEWS2/5569966.shtml
news.cts.com.tw/cts/general/2010 … 62507.html
news.sina.com.tw/article/20100430/3065680.html

Haha yes !

Sounds like a real troublemaker, if the press reports are to be believed. Who knows what pushed him over the edge though …

Not everyone who arrives on these fair shores are the full dollar. And some miss a further few pennies or dimes with time.

Sad though for him and for the dogs under his care. Hopefully someone can help.

Surely that’s a flock of dogs; a gaggle at minimum. He needs at least twelve in one hand to be called a bunch! :wink:

“對這樣的人也能來台灣交英文。would taiwanese ppl support our own ppl? I think improvement will only starrts if we starts to respect our own ppl instead of helping out the " Forigners” who has no substance and come to taiwan to " teach ENGLISH""

rite on systa…forigners with no substance go home!

:slight_smile: I sent her a nice message on Facebook saying that he was helping dogs and it’s nice to see what she thinks of people teaching English here. Would LOVe to post the response on here, but won’t go that far. She’s basically saying I must be his good friend so I will end up with his dogs…called me a loser …etc. Would love to tell her I don’t know him, but she blocked me…sigh.

I can’t see what it says, but I assume they only posted it because he’s a foreigner? Homless people often have dogs for company where’s I’m from, and they don’t get in the news for looking after dogs, even the foreign ones, unless it’s the Daily Mail.

So is Savedogs.tw a buch of racists?

Where does it say that he’s homeless? It just says that he had some sort of dispute with his landlord last year.

The Facebook article said that he was recently fired because of emotional issues (his students had nicknamed him “psycho”). I imagine it’s some mixture of culture shock and having a shitty day.

I find the comments in that Facebook article humorous. The vast majority of the people are more worried about what will happen to the dogs than to the man.

Why do people have to be so nasty to an obviously already vulnerable person. I don’t mean forumosa I mean that facebook account and some of the comments on it. I usually feel that most people here are very kind and caring but then I see this and it saddens me. Damn the guy is homeless and may have some real problems . He will get deported anyway so what is with all the hate.

There should be some govt agency or some other agency to help someone such as this gentleman. He certainly could use some assistance. The poor dogs too. Is he actually homeless and sleeping in the streets?

I think I spotted this report in apple daily, that he was fighting people in the park telling him off for not picking up the dog shit…

it’s a real shame that this guy is obviously down on his luck and that the local response is to blame him for being foreign! I would like to tell them that immigrants to our countries in a similar situation would be allowed to claim benefits to prevent them living on the streets and the sponser would then be liable for the costs to the gov. It is the school’s fault for casting this guy off and leaving him in such a state and shame on the local people for letting another human suffer.

HIs having the dogs doesnt help his situation any either at this point. IF someone wanted to give a roof over his head for him to use, they have to still be able to take care of the animals.
Sadly what will most likely happen is that when his visa runs out and the police check on him and find he is overstaying he will be detained and his dogs taken to the pound.

[quote=“itakitez”]I think I spotted this report in apple daily, that he was fighting people in the park telling him off for not picking up the dog shit…

it’s a real shame that this guy is obviously down on his luck and that the local response is to blame him for being foreign! I would like to tell them that immigrants to our countries in a similar situation would be allowed to claim benefits to prevent them living on the streets and the sponser would then be liable for the costs to the gov. It is the school’s fault for casting this guy off and leaving him in such a state and shame on the local people for letting another human suffer.[/quote]

Which school cast him off?

We cannot expect the Gov’t her to herlp anyone who is down and out. They barely and grudginly so do it with their own people, least of all with a “foreigner”.

It is shocking, though, to see the level of agression directed towards the man. I can only guess it is a poor, down in the dumps area, where people are powerless and so take it after the easy target.

Doesn’t surprise me that you were accused of being his friend, Battery. You were starting to make sense and question the premise.

It would be nice to have our own organization -say, a branch of the Community center, but nationwide- that could step in in this and many other cases. We could have it self-funded, like the animal associations. It is sad, yes, that it is easier to help the dogs, and we all feel for them as they cannot help themselves. We expect the guy to find a solution himself, but if he’s having emotional problems, how reasonable is that? Worse, without a job, he can’t have medical attention here. Most of us rely on friends, some on spouses, when we hit a bump, being emotional, economic or whatever, but sometimes a bit more professional, detached help is needed. And yes, we are also afraid of being played, or helping the wrong person -what if he is just another troublemaker? As I said, it would be nice, but not very realistic. Pragmatically, all we can do now is help the doggies, and hope the guy can get it together when he goes back wherever he came from.

That’s a great post, Icon. I wasn’t going to bother posting in this thread because I get really upset when people are willing to do almost anything to help a dog, but only offer scorn to a human that seems to need help. I’d do almost anything to help a dog, too, and much more so a human.

Yes, it would be tough, maybe, to sort out some folks and their situations. But some effort should be made.

I actually wanted to do things to help homeless people in Taiwan last time I was there, but could never get anyone to help–not even churches. And I was talking about helping homeless Taiwanese.

But I really like your idea of having a foreigner run and funded organization to help out other foreigners who may need assistance. I’ll be in Taiwan in just over a month. If anyone is interested in talking more about this, please send a pm and we’ll be able to talk more soon, maybe.

I’m serious about this. I really wanted to do it before, so if there’s still a chance of finding someone willing to help out, I really want to give it a shot.

As for the guy in question in this post, no one even knows if he has anything to go back home to. There’s no telling what his issues are, but they’re not likely to be better for him where ever he came from. And it’s likely that those dogs have been his only emotional support for a while. He must be aware that he’ll be leaving them behind, possibly to fend for themselves, when he leaves. This can’t be a happy thought for him.

The comment in English copied above came from what looks to be a Canto trolley dolly working with Cathay.

HG

[quote=“the bear”]“對這樣的人也能來台灣交英文。would taiwanese people support our own ppl? I think improvement will only starrts if we starts to respect our own people instead of helping out the " Forigners” who has no substance and come to Taiwan to " teach ENGLISH""

rite on systa…forigners with no substance go home![/quote]

He can only come here and teach if you let him. Blame yourself if he is able to pass a health test and obtain a work permit, and blame yourself if he is allowed to stay and work here illegally.

Seems about par for the course to me, from my experience with self-proclaim animal-lovers.