Foreigner in Miaoli with bunch of dogs

Judging from Canto Dolly’s level of written Chinese, she didn’t get to be a flight attendant by dint of her broad liberal arts education…sounds like a very uneducated person to me (many wrong characters in her posts, her Chinese reads about as badly as her English does).

Anyway, I’ve taken the liberty of posting to their thread, we’ll see what bites when they have a foreigner who can throw it back at them participating in the discussion. It’s a little too easy to automatically cuss the foreigner when none of them are in the game. :unamused:

[quote=“ironlady”]Judging from Canto Dolly’s level of written Chinese, she didn’t get to be a flight attendant by dint of her broad liberal arts education…sounds like a very uneducated person to me (many wrong characters in her posts, her Chinese reads about as badly as her English does).

Anyway, I’ve taken the liberty of posting to their thread, we’ll see what bites when they have a foreigner who can throw it back at them participating in the discussion. It’s a little too easy to automatically cuss the foreigner when none of them are in the game. :unamused:[/quote]

Our Avenger! I understand the moniker now me Lady.

Oh crap …I thought this was thread about Straydog.

“Those bastard foreigners coming over here and taking care of the animals we Taiwanese have abandoned, even when they’re homeless themselves, how dare they!”
The ignorance runs deep in those FB comment posters.

It’d be nice to post links to the scores of animal shelters and animal welfare organisation that have been started, staffed, maintained and supported by foreigners in Taiwan to give them food for thought, but I suspect the bumpkins in that post are operating in the usual head in the sand logic vacuum and no amount of cogent reasoning and tangible contrary evidence will sway them from their hick xenophobia. Good on Ironlady for trying though. :thumbsup:

I don’t see the problem. Can’t the government just deport him back to where he came from? I also find it strange people would rather help dogs than people. If every person who wanted to take in 5 dogs chipped in, you could buy this guy a flight back to wherever he came from. Helping 1 person > Helping 1,000,000 Dogs

It amazes me how poorly most Cantos are at written Chinese. Many seem to have attained a half-arsed level of hand written ability but don’t know computer input methods. The issue you point out about using the wrong character is particularly bad among Taiwanese yoof, in general.

HG

[quote=“the bear”]“對這樣的人也能來台灣交英文。would taiwanese people support our own ppl? I think improvement will only starrts if we starts to respect our own people instead of helping out the " Forigners” who has no substance and come to Taiwan to " teach ENGLISH""

rite on systa…forigners with no substance go home![/quote]

I couldn’t agree more.

This situation is inevitable when foreigners only come to Taiwan in order to teach English.
I heard some of them work like 40h per week in buxiban (imagine the quality of their courses!), and in order to relieve the tension go almost everyday to the pub, they don’t care about learning Chinese or getting interested in Taiwan (except their girls). After 4, 5 years, they come back to their country with a little fortune. No wonder while in Taiwan some of them turn 神經病!

This dude is giving a bad image of foreigners, I hope he will be kicked out soon.

:laughing: That’s the first thing that crossed my mind too.

[quote=“JFP”][quote=“the bear”]“對這樣的人也能來台灣交英文。would taiwanese people support our own ppl? I think improvement will only starrts if we starts to respect our own people instead of helping out the " Forigners” who has no substance and come to Taiwan to " teach ENGLISH""

I couldn’t agree more.

This situation is inevitable when foreigners only come to Taiwan in order to teach English.
I heard some of them work like 40h per week in buxiban (imagine the quality of their courses!), and in order to relieve the tension go almost everyday to the pub, they don’t care about learning Chinese or getting interested in Taiwan (except their girls). After 4, 5 years, they come back to their country with a little fortune. No wonder while in Taiwan some of them turn 神經病!

This dude is giving a bad image of foreigners, I hope he will be kicked out soon.[/quote]

I hope they kick you out as well, but for different reasons.

[quote=“plasmatron”]“Those bastard foreigners coming over here and taking care of the animals we Taiwanese have abandoned, even when they’re homeless themselves, how dare they!”
The ignorance runs deep in those FB comment posters.

It’d be nice to post links to the scores of animal shelters and animal welfare organisation that have been started, staffed, maintained and supported by foreigners in Taiwan to give them food for thought, but I suspect the bumpkins in that post are operating in the usual head in the sand logic vacuum and no amount of cogent reasoning and tangible contrary evidence will sway them from their hick xenophobia. Good on Ironlady for trying though. :thumbsup:[/quote]

Well, I see many homeless Taiwanese people feeding and keeping stray dogs and cats, so it is not just an atoga thing… :smiley:

Just to think, any of us is just a really bad spell of fortune away from living on the streets. There but for the grace of God and all that jazz. Back home, it would be civil war or volcano. Here it can be war or financial kaput or just being laid off. Suffering mental breakdown can happen anywhere, anybody, anyplace.

Actually, it’s the ones with the substances they kick out.

Yes, every single foreigner I know who came here to teach English is now homeless in Miaoli with bunch of dogs! Amazing, really, how very inevitable that is.

I second this comment though.

[quote=“Dragonbones”]

Yes, every single foreigner I know who came here to teach English is now homeless in Miaoli with bunch of dogs! Amazing, really, how very inevitable that is.[/quote]

I never said this situation is inevitable each time a foreigner only comes to Taiwan in order to teach English.
I meant that similar situations are bound to happen from time to time.

or maybe I need English courses, how many per hour, 100 dollars? or can I pay with dog food? :laughing:

A single homeless laowai waiguoren buxiban laoshi with dogs that defecate and urinate in a park without regard make it to the news, while a ton of local gongdexin-less middle-aged men with dogs that defecate and urinate on sidewalks and in public alleys without regards would never make it in the news.

Coming up next week, parliamentary hearing on the dire situations of homeless foreigners in Taiwan.

Isnt this where a church organization could come in handy? Can any church put him to work?
Helping one guy may not be hard, the fear is helping someone who is mentally unstable. Thats a fear. Because there could be physical danger to the samaritan at some point and/or the level of involvement of assistance could be too much.

Takes the govt to step in and provide the proper avenue for him. Could someone go over and have a chat with him and see what help can be proferred?

Maybe help him get in touch with his country’s rep office in taiwan for possible help in repatriation,etc. Help him in contacting his family perhaps?

[quote=“JFP”][quote=“the bear”]“對這樣的人也能來台灣交英文。would taiwanese people support our own ppl? I think improvement will only starrts if we starts to respect our own people instead of helping out the " Forigners” who has no substance and come to Taiwan to " teach ENGLISH""

I couldn’t agree more.

This dude is giving a bad image of foreigners, I hope he will be kicked out soon.[/quote]

You missed the sarcasm in the bear’s post. You seem to be also missing some kind of capacity for compassion. I hope you never fall of fail, or become 神經病.

Some people only help those who are similar to themselves, like compatriots, or humans, while others gravitate toward helping those who are least able to help themselves, which logically includes but is not limited to stray animals. The world needs both kinds of good Samaritans, and it doesn’t make sense to poo poo one kind if one is more inclined to be the other kind (or if one is neither, as I suspect is often the case with people who gripe about others who are actually out there doing something to help).

US Dollars will be fine, yes.

[quote=“ironlady”]Judging from Canto Dolly’s level of written Chinese, she didn’t get to be a flight attendant by dint of her broad liberal arts education…sounds like a very uneducated person to me (many wrong characters in her posts, her Chinese reads about as badly as her English does).

Anyway, I’ve taken the liberty of posting to their thread, we’ll see what bites when they have a foreigner who can throw it back at them participating in the discussion. It’s a little too easy to automatically cuss the foreigner when none of them are in the game. :unamused:[/quote]

I’m not surprised. Airheaded talentless melons-on-a-stick seem to be the only ones able to hold a job in this economy these days.

Edit: I wanted to post a comment on FB, but apparently they seem to have disabled it for that thread for now. A lot of people don’t seem to know (or care) that this is actually one of the growing social problems Taiwan faces, only manifested elsewhere. Foreigners can’t come to Taiwan and work legally without an ARC, and to get a work permit you first have to have a job, and to get a work ARC you also need a place to live. Once your ARC expires you have to leave the country. That’s easy enough to understand. I don’t think the government is going to issue you a 3-year ARC if you’re only able to secure a job for one year. Chances are either he’s just really, really, off and really deserved to be fired, that or the school decided to lay him off without severance because they can’t get enough students to sign up for buxiban. Either way as a laborer he receives no financial assistance either directly from the government or help from his former employer because of the lack of government mandates.

People are already exploited by large conglomerates in Taiwan, and there seems to be little help or incentive from the government to resolve this. Adding that to the negative population growth and low birthrates, a lot of people (local or foreign) working in the education industry are bound to face similar problems soon. They’re already planning on closing a ton of universities due to low enrollment. I guess it’s a blessing in disguise that the semi-free market is weeding out the weak, but well…who knows?

Foreigners already have very few equal rights granted to them. If you’re a local and got HIV, you get free healthcare for life. Now, if you’re a foreigner legally residing in Taiwan and you faithfully pay into the NHI pool, if you’re HIV positive, you can’t get help here and are deported from the island, even when you have health insurance. Who’s to say that there won’t be xenophobic psycho women with HIV offering to sleep with every foreigner she finds on the street and informing the police that the laowai she had a one-night stand with may be HIV positive?

I know compassion, I have adopted a 4 years old Taiwanese cat that has been abandoned by its previous owners. This cat didn’t have a choice, that dude from Miaoli had one.

Ok, which one of us raging men (or women) posted that last comment in that FB thread?
:smiley: :bravo:

I read this thread and all I could think was: “there but by the grace of…” Poor bastard. I hope he gets some help. Its a fucking shite state of affairs, Tommy, and all the fresh air in the world isn’t going to change it.
Life is SO fragile.