Foreigner in Miaoli with bunch of dogs

Yes so true, theres so much shit around. ONe has only to look in ones own backyard really.

Even so, if anyone sees the guy, perhaps they can have a yak with him and see if theres anything that could be helpful?

Me personally, my worry would be if the guy is a nutjob. IF hes normal and just down on his luck it would be easier to help, but if hes wacko? IM just not equipped to deal with wackos ( if i was i would still be married).

Maybe thats why the TW govt will only give Englishers and other UK-ers 90 days instead of 180 days like what the UK is giving Taiweeners going over there (talkin bout landing visas).

[quote=“ironlady”]Judging from Canto Dolly’s level of written Chinese, she didn’t get to be a flight attendant by dint of her broad liberal arts education…sounds like a very uneducated person to me (many wrong characters in her posts, her Chinese reads about as badly as her English does).

Anyway, I’ve taken the liberty of posting to their thread, we’ll see what bites when they have a foreigner who can throw it back at them participating in the discussion. It’s a little too easy to automatically cuss the foreigner when none of them are in the game. :unamused:[/quote]

I just posted some nasty comments in Chinese about that Canto lady’s ignorant comments. Foreigners need to be involved more in these online discussion. I’ve seen worse on the apple daily’s article of the girl who slept with the AIT guy.

It seems this guy attacked a couple of cleaning people. Who knows what the real story is of course, but I’m not 100% sure how deserving he is of support.

[quote=“occhimarroni”]

I just posted some nasty comments in Chinese about that Canto lady’s ignorant comments. Foreigners need to be involved more in these online discussion. I’ve seen worse on the apple daily’s article of the girl who slept with the AIT guy.[/quote]

There is some quite bad stuff on this site about Taiwanese people, which is often excused as “ranting” or “letting off steam” etc. etc… Respect has to work both ways.

Some people only help those who are similar to themselves, like compatriots, or humans, while others gravitate toward helping those who are least able to help themselves, which logically includes but is not limited to stray animals. The world needs both kinds of good Samaritans, and it doesn’t make sense to poo poo one kind if one is more inclined to be the other kind (or if one is neither, as I suspect is often the case with people who gripe about others who are actually out there doing something to help).
[/quote]

In this case the world needs one kind more than the other. And who is to say a human can help itself out more than an animal? It is easy to say this when you have a home, job, and food but when all this is gone things change drastically. If you have no home, no money, no visa, or anything you are near totally helpless. Animals can survive quite well outdoors and forage pretty well on their own. The average city dwelling person can’t. It wasn’t "poo poo"ing people who enjoy rescuing animals, it was questioning the priorities of rescuing 5 dogs instead of helping out 1 person. Maybe we should have a collection here to buy the guy a ticket home? I would go talk to him if I had any idea where he is.

Does anybody know his nationality?

He might be able to get assistance from the ‘embassy’ of his home country.

I believe the British Trade and Cultural Office have some sort of emergency funding to help foreigners when things go wrong.

I recall donating some cash to the “BTCO fund to help foreigners in trouble” in exchange for verified photocopies of my passport.

Vague on details.

A work acquaintance at my previous school needed to be chaperoned back to his home country due to his worsening psychological disorder.

He wasn’t tossed to the curve. Authorities, embassy, and friends helped him out.

I hope the authorities, embassy, and the community can ease the burden no matter if he has a psychological disorder or just flat broke.

(next time you are in a convenience store “donate them copper coins” to the cause of the month - he is not the only one in need of assistance)

They mention AIT in the article, if I am not mistaken.

I’ll say it again. Why is everyone saying that this guy is homeless? None of the articles linked on the first page of this thread mention this. They only say that he was recently fired from a chain buxiban and that he’s currently unemployed. (Though the thing I don’t understand is that the articles say that his visa is up at the end of May; I thought you only two weeks to get your affairs in order after your ARC/work permit is cancelled.)

Has anyone noticed that quite a high proportion of the crazy longer-term foreigners have dogs? :slight_smile: Perhaps the kind-hearted ones who take in strays are more likely to snap. And perhaps they are more attracted to having a doggie companion because of the difficulty they have dealing with the people around them.
Don’t make me name names. :laughing:

[quote=“Mawvellous”][quote=“occhimarroni”]

I just posted some nasty comments in Chinese about that Canto lady’s ignorant comments. Foreigners need to be involved more in these online discussion. I’ve seen worse on the apple daily’s article of the girl who slept with the AIT guy.[/quote]

There is some quite bad stuff on this site about Taiwanese people, which is often excused as “ranting” or “letting off steam” etc. etc… Respect has to work both ways.[/quote]

And the more Taiwanese people get involved in the discussion, the more careful people are about what they say. So why not encourage more foreigners to be outspoken when it concerns and perhaps values and perceptions can change.

[quote=“almas john”]Has anyone noticed that quite a high proportion of the crazy longer-term foreigners have dogs? :slight_smile: Perhaps the kind-hearted ones who take in strays are more likely to snap. And perhaps they are more attracted to having a doggie companion because of the difficulty they have dealing with the people around them.
Don’t make me name names. :laughing:[/quote]

My house is a shelter to abandoned rats…I feed and clothe them, try and teach them some basic English…

It said he called AIT when the police came, and calmed down after he’d spoken to someone there.

From my quick skim through that Facebook report, I don’t quite see this as a helpless, hopeless, psychologically disturbed fellow at the end of his tether. The impression I got was of a prickly 54-year-old who first got harangued by some members of the public for letting his dogs poo in the park without picking up after them, then got a bit of a talking to from a street cleaner when the dogs pissed in the street, reacted badly, hit her hand with his umbrella when she tried to take a photograph for evidential purposes, got into a real tizzy and hurled a curse or two, remained aggressive when a couple of male street cleaners came to the aid of their colleague, still didn’t back down when the police came along, and only regained some composure after making a call to AIT. He’s recently lost his job (for being unable to control his emotions), and doesn’t have very long left on his current visa, but is not necessarily homeless or otherwise in desperate circumstances. He now faces a charge of impeding a public official in the execution of their duty, for which he’s likely to be fined, but the street cleaner, whose hand was slightly swollen where he hit her, isn’t intending to sue him for the assault or for public insult (swearing at her). That’s pretty much the beginning and end of the story - not a whole lot to it, really.

Well in that case…
KILL THE PIG! CUT ITS THROAT! SPILL ITS BLOOD! BASH HIM IN!

:laughing:

[quote=“almas john”]Has anyone noticed that quite a high proportion of the crazy longer-term foreigners have dogs? :slight_smile: Perhaps the kind-hearted ones who take in strays are more likely to snap. And perhaps they are more attracted to having a doggie companion because of the difficulty they have dealing with the people around them.

LOL if you plan to live in Hualien for more than two years it is mandatory that you have at least two dogs.

Regarding this homeless guy, he has obviously lost it, and while that is sad, TW is a pretty fuckin simple place to survive, even for the simplest of simpletons. The only way to deal with this for the TW gov’t in my opinion is to deport his ass back to the Meiguo.

Hey another non-Canadian fucked up foreigner (we’re on a bit of a run here Canada, well done, looks like the entire nation has rallied around Sid the Kid’s OT winner and have pledged to do more).

Regarding the shit talk about foreigners on the web, are you really surprised, really? Are we all Freethinker83 under the impression that the locals think we are all handsome/beautiful and super duper fab?
For the most part we are viewed as careless expats here for a quick buck, scum who failed at home, like F.I.L.T.H. (failed in London try Hong Kong) back in the colonial days, or just a hard piece of meat for the girlies with daddy issues to slide up and down on.
Now before you flame me up and down, not all locals view foreigners this way, many of the kindest and most genuine people around come from here, but many do view adogha in a negative light, and it only takes a silly little story or someone running afoul of the law to bring all this animosity to the surface.

[quote=“Deuce Dropper”][quote=“almas john”]Has anyone noticed that quite a high proportion of the crazy longer-term foreigners have dogs? :slight_smile: Perhaps the kind-hearted ones who take in strays are more likely to snap. And perhaps they are more attracted to having a doggie companion because of the difficulty they have dealing with the people around them.

LOL if you plan to live in Hualien for more than two years it is mandatory that you have at least two dogs.

Regarding this homeless guy, he has obviously lost it, and while that is sad, TW is a pretty fuckin simple place to survive, even for the simplest of simpletons. The only way to deal with this for the TW gov’t in my opinion is to deport his ass back to the Meiguo.

Hey another non-Canadian fucked up foreigner (we’re on a bit of a run here Canada, well done, looks like the entire nation has rallied around Sid the Kid’s OT winner and have pledged to do more).

Regarding the shit talk about foreigners on the web, are you really surprised, really? Are we all Freethinker83 under the impression that the locals think we are all handsome/beautiful and super duper fab?
For the most part we are viewed as careless expats here for a quick buck, scum who failed at home, like F.I.L.T.H. (failed in London try Hong Kong) back in the colonial days, or just a hard piece of meat for the girlies with daddy issues to slide up and down on.
Now before you flame me up and down, not all locals view foreigners this way, many of the kindest and most genuine people around come from here, but many do view adogha in a negative light, and it only takes a silly little story or someone running afoul of the law to bring all this animosity to the surface.[/quote]

Many locals in the UK especially Sun Readers view orientals in the same light ie dirty, greedy and need to return “home”. However we all know most Sun readers are morons and the same goes for the Apple Daily. Anyone who worries about what Sun Readers think of them is easily as silly as those that worry what the Apple Daily readers think.

Yellow morons and white morons all the same to me ha

Yep. What made the girl super mad is that he ‘attacked’ the old cleaning lady. Hit her with his umbrella.

Basically the person who posted this on the animal welfare site said that this person is without a job now, his ARC expires end of May, and now this bad publicity will make it very hard for him to find a job. It was more…this guy is leaving, can you help foster the 5 dogs.

This is what I got from it anyways.

I feel more sorry for the dogs myself. They are more likely to die than him. And yep…I cried when the bad guys shot the little rabbit in Cliffhanger, but didn’t flinch when they shot bullets into many people during the film. It’s just the way I am.

That’s what the report says, but my issue is with the ignorant living-on-daddy’s-money kids who posted all the “eew, deport him/beat him up/he’s scum” comments on the Facebook group. It’s nice and safe to bash anyone – doesn’t matter if it’s a foreigner – when you’re in your own comfortable little group of same-thinkers. It amuses me that now that two or three foreigners have posted in Chinese expressing their opinions, we haven’t seen any further flaming “it’s all because he’s a foreigner” posts. Guess it’s not so much fun now.

The guy is obviously either a total a$$ or seriously disturbed. Either way, we don’t know which it is – and neither do the kids posting on Facebook with such reckless abandon. That’s the point to me. What would they be saying if it were their uncle, or if one of their friends went to the States and lost it emotionally or mentally? (Oh wait, most of our mass university shootings are foreign grad students, aren’t they?)

Exactly, that is what irked me as well. In addition to the implied conclusion that foreigners are somehow more blameworthy than Taiwanese for Taiwan’s shamefully high abandoned animal numbers.

I think they disabled comments since it had already become juvenile name calling from both sides. Sadly not all the Chinese responses from foreigners were as well written and tactfully loaded for maximum shame value as yours was.

Exactly, that is what irked me as well. In addition to the implied conclusion that foreigners are somehow more blameworthy than Taiwanese for Taiwan’s shamefully high abandoned animal numbers.

I think they disabled comments since it had already become juvenile name calling from both sides. Sadly not all the Chinese responses from foreigners were as well written and tactfully loaded for maximum shame value as yours was.[/quote]

No you can still leave comments, but it’s kinda like you’re beating a dead horse at this point no matter how eloquently or tactfully you restate the same sentiment. Face it, it’s just about showing off at this point. A foreigner write-off, best man wins a trip to the nightmarket to practice chinese with street vendors.