Foreigners that grew up in Taiwan

No problem.

I wrote he was born in Taiwan in 1991 at top of thread. :slight_smile:

Your son actually could have gotten his HH and ID card after the 2000 law passed, because he was still a minor at the time. As of 2000, all minors born to either Taiwanese father or mother after 1980 became full Taiwanese citizens retroactively. Not sure why they didn’t give it to him. Wouldn’t surprise me if they just messed up.

In any case, he can still get his HH and ID now. However, since he is an adult, he will need to first reside in Taiwan for one year continuously. Although a new immigration bill is being passed now that will eliminate the one-year residency requirement for adults.

Of course, he will also need to serve in the military if he is under 36, so that’s something to think about.

1 Like

it is possible he didn’t apply for it.

not sure how it is if he already has roc passport as nwohr, but who were born between 1980 to 2000 in taiwan from taiwanese mother doesn’t need the one year for hhr under the current law.

1 Like

Ah, right. That only applies to adults who were born overseas to Taiwanese parents.

Never knew that. What about foreign mother and ROC father?

Unfortunately

Really!? But I guess they have to give up any other citizenships like rest of us, right?

Come right in, your table is ready.

5 Likes

Sure he could have. But like Justinintaiwan we used the laws to our own advantage. But not getting HH and ID card he was able to finish high school here and leave for Australia for study and not have to do military service. He’s 32 now so if the new law change allows him to get HH and ID he can. He would just enter Taiwan on his Australian passport and not be drafted. As it is he has entered on his Taiwan national passport but cannot be drafted as he does not have HH or ID. Doesn’t even have a TARC just gets and entry visa.

He was 21 when he got his Taiwan passport in Australia. Know the system use it to your own advantage. So he grew up in Taiwan as a foreigner. :slight_smile:

Those born in Taiwan before 2000 actually still had to apply for HH and ID card. we simply did not apply so he never got his HH or ID card. It was not automatically processed. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Those are the rules.

I see. I misread your previous post in a way that suggested you actually wanted your son to have HH and ID card.

For children of two permanent residents not getting citizenship at birth, also same in an EU country. It’s should not be this way children of one parent who has APRC should get citizenship when born here. It’s just that the system only gives citizenship to children born here of citizens.

1 Like

Yes I want him to have HH and ID card as it also plays into inheritance as well. He will get it sooner or later. On his terms.

1 Like

Never say never that all depends on the effort you put in.

man I wouldn’t call her a “foreign Youtuber” then but I get it and I guess that’s a label you can never shake.

1 Like

I wonder if they’d make a 3 year old pass the Chinese proficiency test.

It would be nice if they did, but I can’t fault them for not allowing the children of residents, permanent or otherwise, to be citizens at birth. That’s fairly rare around the world. It’s a risk for a small country to give citizenship to a kid that could be a burden to the state.

Maybe not automatic citizenship but they could make it easier for them to get it later in life or at least provide PR.

No it is not rare. In most countries where people are permanent residents citizenship is granted to children born there of a permanent resident parent. Most but not all. Quite common in fact.

US of course anyone born there to a legal or non resident or illegal resident are US citizens.

2 Likes

I believe that only applied if they changed to HH and ID card in Taiwan. So my son he applied for passport in Australia so no HH or ID card. :slight_smile: That was done on purpose.

1 Like

Not sure if you read Mandarin, but here is an instruction on the procedure.

https://www.immigration.gov.tw/5382/5385/7244/7250/7281/定居/36452/

持我國護照入國者,本署許可定居時,同步註銷其入國許可,並依申請人所附信封郵寄定居證

“Hey, congratulations on turning 20 years old. Now get the fuck out!”

5 Likes
1 Like