Foreigners Who Don't Acknowledge Other Foreigners on the Street

I hate the damn Lithuanians. Go back to Lithuania you Lithuanians.

1 Like

Dirty dirty word.

Nah, kidding (sort of).

When I was over last month my (Taiwanese) girlfriend was saying to me - ā€œcanā€™t you hear - they have such a strong Mainland accent?ā€ We were near Jilong. I didnā€™t pay attention, just blanked out the mainlanders.

1 Like

[quote=ā€œlupillusā€]Count me in as the asshole who doesnā€™t run up to every Japanese/Korean/Filipino/Indonesian/random dark haired, yellow-skinned person I see in the US or Europe and demand that we become instant friends.
[/quote]

You probably wouldnā€™t need to. The vast majority of people of Chinese descent living (having immigrated) abroad all live together in their own communities anyway, so your argument is at least somewhat void.
Your post ignores the fact that the experience of a westerner or migrant laborer living in Taiwan is drastically different from what Chinese people experience in other countries, where they most often have an automatic support network. Iā€™m sure some people feel quite isolated, which would be difficult for some people to understand. And I understand that often, those people can be assholes.

[quote=ā€œGuyinTaiwanā€]You go to a Taiwanese nightclub or bar, and if itā€™s not specifically a meat market, and half the time, everyone is walled off in their little fortress/cubicle and doesnā€™t talk to anyone they donā€™t know, or theyā€™re all standing around trying to be too cool for school. Canā€™t stand those places. Theyā€™re boring as hell. Whilst they might be somewhat accommodating of white foreigners, I canā€™t imagine theyā€™d be as accommodating of some Thais or Philippinos going to their bars as the Southeast Asians are of them.
[/quote]

I donā€™t frequent bars often, but I have noticed that SE Asians are far more accommodating, outwardly friendly and jovial than most of the Taiwanese people I come across and the same can be said when I am in their respective countries.
Here, itā€™s nice to have a ā€œhelloā€ instead of just being stared/pointed at (Taiwanese) or proactively ignored (westerners). I respond in kind, plus itā€™s nice to speak to happy people - and they always are, despite the fact that they are locked up in the company of a grumpy pile of skin and gums most of the time.

1 Like

Super Hans: My wifeā€™s cousin has an Indonesian maid. We (as in my wifeā€™s entire extended family) went over there once. I tried to say hi to the maid, but she couldnā€™t speak English. I asked my wifeā€™s cousin a few questions about the maid, but she got a bit grumpy. I think I was asking about the wrong accessories/furniture in the house in her mind. I should have been oohing and aahing over the replica Mona Lisa or whatever they had in their living room.

This is not Fox Force Five.

What are you expecting?

The reasons are multifaceted. A little bit of language learning, a little bit of bourgeois snobbery, a little bit of special snowflake syndromeā€¦

andā€¦

maybe you have these crazy hunting eyes.

There are known expat bars. Thats why SE Asia is good.

Want to ignore whitey? Go to the suburbsā€¦ Want to go drinking with Kurtz? Go to the bule enclave.

I realized I met a fair few people in Familymartā€¦ sounds lame, but not if its in the mountains.

Are you referencing the Conrad version or the Coppola version? :popcorn:

Guy

1 Like

I acknowledge every hot foreigner and Taiwanese guy. When ugly one is approaching from opposite direction Iā€™m checking moon or clouds.

2 Likes

Interesting. I do the exact opposite because girls are scary.

2 Likes

I view rude people that donā€™t smile and say hi back as the perfect filter to not waste time on. Maybe we should celebrate these negative folk :slight_smile:

One of the reasons I like taiwanese so much! At least they make an effort to pretend to be polite. Like Canadians. We donā€™t need to get married, but at least recognize others and be polite, even if just on a surface level. Itā€™s a net positive reaction in society.

2 Likes

Hmmm, I see the Coppola version as a Mosburger type of guy.

Conradā€™s Kurtz is slumped in the corner of the Brass Monkey on Sunday nights.

Nowā€¦

What if there was an alternate ending, where Kurtz persuaded Willard to join him?

1 Like

I think its illegal the other way around.

May I ask what form does the acknowledgement take?

I like a 50/50 mix between foreigners and locals.

I respect linguists, Im learning two languages myself now. I figure HokoWei (yeah I spelt it wrong) carved himself out a good life. But I really donā€™t like full bore nose-in-the-air GoNativeTards. I met more of them in TW than other SE Asian countries.

I have lived halfway out in the sodding jungle. Itā€™s comforting to meet someone else who knows the White Stripes and Pot Noodles out here up the Mekong.

But TW?

Some Beer and Biltong guy who lives in East Pingtung City and considers it His Manor. wtf?

I lived in Daxi, Taoyuan, for 18 months. I have good memories of those haunting hills.

I bumped into a fat DemographicDeleted in Watsonā€™s once and he nearly scratched my eyes out.

Said he was ā€œsurprisedā€ that ā€œanother foreigner found this placeā€.

What?

1 Like

I am now stuck with an image of an overweight Marlon Brando sitting alone, late at night, at a Mos Burger in Taiwan.

Iā€™m not sure I like this!

Guy

3 Likes

Probably what heā€™s thinking, too!

1 Like

I should never have left that nice temple I had in Cambodia!

:rofl:

Guy

1 Like

It is not visually pleasing, to be sure. I always found Mosburger intriguing and repellant at the same time.

Like two magnets pushed togetherā€¦

But discard aesthetics, and think strategically.

Captain Kurtzā€™s first insurrection against the Western powers was thwarted by noise and destiny. He gained the trust and love of the Laotian locals, but his perceived betrayal was too loud, too ostentatious, too embarrassing for Harrison Ford and the other chinless officers.

Kurtz dies, gets recycled, and goes round the loop again.

This time, Kurtz tells himself. I will be silent.

He vows to become an English Teacher in concrete Taipei.

He fakes a normal life on the surface, and issues commands to comrades in the SE Asian jungle with a sophisticated series of psychic messages, quantum AI systems, and bird language messages in local newspapers.

Now. The Jungle asks.

How can Willard find him?

How can you arrest the spring rains?

Kurtz has learned true stealth, and walks the streets as a NOBODY in the corner.

What joyā€¦

To command rolling armies and roiling oceans, while nodding off in the corner of a convenience store.

How can you murder the wind?

1 Like

I am absolutely sure Iā€™ve strangled this thread.

1 Like

Didnā€™t we have a contributor called @ThreadKiller ?

I think you may be trespassing on her turf!

Guy

1 Like

What if that lanky guy in Mosburger at 3am was dreaming the entire universe?