Form for adopting a Chinese name

I was told one of the requirements for obtaining an ARC is that we have to adopt a Chinese name. Is there an official form to adopt a Chinese name or do we just choose one and start using it?

I think that after Iā€™d gone to Yadong Hospital excessively in the old days (heck, I still spend a lot of time there), they must have got tired of pronouncing my English name and just slapped a three-character Chinese name on me. And then I guess during one of my ARC renewals, I must have given the ARC folks that name, maybe from my National Health Insurance card.

But I donā€™t know; for all I know, maybe there is some requirement these days, like the one you mentioned, so maybe you shouldnā€™t use my experience as a guide.

Edited to add:

Hereā€™s a 2016 thread that seems to be about that subject (I donā€™t know whether things have changed since then):

2011 thread, related subject:

Hereā€™s a discussion from 2003:

A poll and discussion from 2020:

Another thread from 2003:

In a 2002 thread, one poster seems to express surprise that foreigners are allowed to have Chinese names on their ARCs:

A 2020 thread on chops (name stamps), and whether one needs to have a chop:

Wow, thanks for this. Iā€™ll just deal with it when I go to apply for my ARC. If they need me to fill out a form Iā€™ll do it there on the spot.

1 Like

Youā€™re welcome, and I hope everything goes smoothly for you.

BTW it is not mandatory at all, only when you marry a citizen you are required to adopt one if you donā€™t have one already.

2 Likes

I chose mine directly.

I didnā€™t consult any books or anything. I just picked my name from my own knowledge of characters.

Ok, this explains it as Iā€™m married to a Taiwanese citizen.

3 Likes

Well, always best to give the full picture, or advices might be either irrelevant or full wrong

1 Like

Yea, I didnā€™t know it was just for that one situation. I thought it was for all who are applying for an ARC.

1 Like

From what it sounds like I think this is the form if youā€™re able to access the link:
外國äŗŗ取ē”Øäø­ę–‡å§“åč²ę˜Žę›ø

Iā€™m a citizen and my husband is applying for visa/ARC, and this is one of the things they required from us. From what Iā€™ve read it also needs to be notarized. I assume you are in a similar situation? Also if youā€™re already in Taiwan you can get this form at the immigration or HHR offices.

if u fill it in at the HHRO while registering the marriage no need for notarisation, the officer will certify it (this is what I understood).

1 Like

Thank you. Iā€™ll be in Taiwan later this week.

Oh nice! That would make the process easier. Iā€™m actually going this week and gonna ask about this just to be safe because it sounds like I also need to have it authenticated at a TECO which is really annoyingā€¦

Not sure itā€™ll help anyone or it still works but I basically officialized my Chinese name when registering our marriage at the courthouse on the certificate forms. I just included my Chinese name and chopped it real quick while they looked a little confused.
According to a friend it could have been a bit of a hassle using my wifeā€™s surnameā€¦something about maybe having to prove thereā€™s no close relationship.
Anyway, with it on the marriage certificate it was just then put on my ARC.
This was 20 years ago.

1 Like

It all depends where you are doing the process though, at TECO might be somewhat different

I had my Chinese name on my ARC back in 1989. I was careful in choosing my name due to my Surname and first name. Also I did not want a name that people would identify as a foreigner name translated to Chinese. I did it due to getting married and it was a requirement.

2 Likes

Sure. I was just throwing that in for reference for anyone reading this in the future.

I did mine through marriage about 2004. I donā€™t remember if it was required, I for some reason recall I needed it on my NHI cardā€¦and itā€™s still on there as well as my ARC ā€¦ but I know when ARCs first came out and the foreign affairs police gave me some strange foreigner Chinese name without even asking for one, back when single. It sounded like Parker Pen in Chinese and it got lots of laughs.
Then on a renewal another cop told me it was wrong and changed it which resulted in me getting locked out of my postal account when it was time to renew my bank bookā€¦that was a major pain.
Thatā€™s why I just slipped it onto the marriage certificate with a normal sounding Chinese nameā€¦so it wouldnā€™t be mangled for life. And to make sure kids would just have my wifeā€™s surname.
Itā€™s just what worked for me at the time.

1 Like

I registered a Chinese name long ago. It was pretty standard but my then-girlfriend accidentally added an extra stroke to one of the characters. It was still accepted. Then many years later when I got re-married, I had to change that name. The character with the extra stroke that I had been using going-on 20 years could not be typed into the computer at the place where we were registering the marriage. So in fact I used to have one Chinese name and now I have a different one (minus one small stroke). But because the difference is so minor nobody else cares or notices. It annoyed the hell out of me. Almost did not get married again.

2 Likes

My advice is to choose an authentic Chinese name and not a directly translated form of your English name.

What I did is asked my wife to come up with a good Chinese name. This way you wonā€™t stand out on official forms or documents which might make things process easier.