Former President Lee Teng-hui passes away (1923-2020)

This evening, at the age of 97, former President Lee Teng-hui (李登輝) passed away in Taipei City. He was a towering figure in modern Taiwan politics, overseeing the transition of Taiwan from a party-state to a multi-party democracy. His vision of a Taiwan that could engage in state-to-state relations with the PRC earned him the wrath of Chinese nationalists on both sides of the Taiwan Strait. It’s almost impossible to imagine today’s Taiwan without him.

Many tributes and reflections (some likely critical) will appear in the upcoming days. Feel free to post them here, or to post any reflections or memories you have about his contributions.

Guy

Hat tip to @MalcolmReynolds for breaking this story on forumosa and posting it in The Morgue 2020 thread.

15 Likes

Focus Taiwan has posted an early report on Lee Teng-hui passing away:

Guy

3 Likes

Nikkei Asian Review has posted an obituary with more details on Lee’s life and commitments:

Guy

2 Likes

RIP 阿輝伯

The great man has passed.

2 Likes

I rode by his motorcade as it came up Yang Ming Shan on election day in 1996. That and meeting Hulk Hogan in an airport and getting an autograph are my two brushes with fame.

3 Likes

A true legend and one of the only KMTers worth our respect.

:cry: :salute:

9 Likes

I don’t think there was a political figure like him. Reared up to be the next generation of KMT powerholders, he kept his true feelings under concealment until he assumed the crown, and then turned against the old guard. A momentous figure.

6 Likes

On the lighter side, that wacky Japanese English he spoke during his famous Cornell speech still makes me chuckle.

3 Likes

I did some work for the TSU back in the day and was a media liaison for a big event at the Grand Hotel he was keynote speaker at. His speech (all in Taiwanese) was a 40 minute harangue of the KMT during which he accused them of being a foreign occupying power who should return to China and leave Taiwan to the Taiwanese. I know of no other politician in the world who switched sides so completely and so successfully. He made Machiavelli look like an amateur.

11 Likes

A nice obituary written by Ben Blanchard at Reuters:

Guy

3 Likes

President Lee Teng-Hui passed away at 97. What a sad day. What a safe year 2020 has been so far.

12 Likes

He was 97. He had a great run. It’s not exactly sad.

1 Like

RIP to a son of Taiwan.

7 Likes

RIP to Father of democratic Taiwan.

12 Likes

Where did he go?

1 Like

Hopefully enjoying some ramen with Su Beng (史明) in a great Taiwan-operated ramen shop in the sky.

Guy

5 Likes

A great leader

1 Like

I just wish he lived to see Taiwan independence.

5 Likes
6 Likes

Rest in Peace

2 Likes