Formosa Fitness (closed) :facebook:

That’s interesting, I just noticed that Pepe the Frog is on the flag of that meme. I’m curious if that is just a coincidence. I had to look Pepe up.

I didn’t read that as referring to you, but perhaps that’s because I don’t have an agenda.

I went back and it looks like my sentence could be interpreted both ways, thus the apology.

It wasn’t even presented as his opinion, it was presented as “we at Formosa Fitness support…” so if anything it’s business policy.

1 Like

Most sentences can be. Up to the reader to choose which interpretation.

A major problem with online discourse.

It’s my fault for not including a clarifying emoji. :wink:

He needs to clarify what the business policy is. Are they banning homosexuals?

1 Like

I can’t see a gym owner wanting to lose around half their business. Maybe just no “funny business”? In any case, if I were gay and saw that Facebook post, I wouldn’t feel very welcome, to say the least.

3 Likes

I won’t be joining ever.

3 Likes

Disappointing.

If he wants to strongly imply that gay = sexual predator and a danger to kids, whatever, that’s his choice, but the establishment won’t get my business, and I will no longer suggest it to people looking for a good gym.

2 Likes

I think at least 1/4 of the guys at the gym is gay in Taiwan in my experience. I don’t think one should not welcome people at the gymbased on their sexuality. It’s completely not relevant to what goes on at the gym. It’s not like it’s a Orthodox Church saying we don’t do gay marriages.

3 Likes

Also, aren’t kids either not allowed into the gym or has to be supervised by a parent at your gym? When I was the operations manager at my gym, we didn’t let kids run around unsupervised by an adult. They either had to chill at the waiting area or they were there with a trainer doing PT or training/ class.

Where exactly are they unsafe?

I took it to mean “no sexual activity will be tolerated on the property,” but when I went back he does call out gay sex.

I think that if you’re inclined to SJW then you’ll find offense. I’m sure you can talk yourself into finding it offensive enough to boycott this business.

But if you are still able here in 2019 to avoid hopping on the social jihad bandwagon du jour then imo it’s pretty easy to assume his meaning to be “family friendly” = no sexual activity on the premises.

Of course, some people need to exercise their BP more than their biceps. Carry on, then.

eta: I’m also sure most parents would prefer their young kids think of gender as either/or, at least until they reach a certain age. As a parent I wouldn’t want my kid to run back to the locker room and find two guys going at it, then come home and force the parents into a discussion about sexual preference and gender before anybody’s ready for that.

I mean I support traditional families and 2 genders. But I don’t see how that’s relevant to the gym. What does being gay or straight have to do with picking things up and putting them down. Why does Formosa fitness have a stance on this? If it’s the owners stance ok. But it says it’s the gyms stance which is weird. Also, gay sex is not the only sex happening at the gym. Just a weird post plus the safety thing.

4 Likes

Business isn’t so good for the gym so they’re catering to the bigoted crowd in order drum up some business? I think any gym owner, in the last 20 years, knows that the majority of their clientele prefer male companionship.

I’d love to give him the benefit of the doubt and assume that’s what he meant, but it’s a pretty difficult conclusion to reach from the following:

His message, unfortunately, is crystal clear.

2 Likes

That’s a possibility. It felt like a Gerald Ratner business move to start with, but perhaps there’s been some thought behind it. Some free publicity plus it will now be the gym of choice for people who don’t like gays.

So do you think he allows heterosexual sex on his property?

From the message, it would appear that he’s at least neutral on the issue.

Possible, I guess. But I don’t agree that it’s crystal clear.

I think he just assumed everyone would know that no sexual activity is allowed. He mentions gay sex for reasons that are unclear to me, but who knows what may have walked into 30 minutes before he wrote his message? Or not, again not clear.

I agree that he’d be better off clarifying his stance on tolerating sexual activity on his business premises. The sooner the better, probably.

1 Like