Forumosa.com and Social Media

Most interesting quote, as Twitter has certainly had ups and downs but most definitely never died. Forumosa, well,I don’t know the history, but it’s obviously still here and doing fine.

Wonder what it would have been if Milton actually bought it :flushed:

1 Like

I agree. Here is a Chart showing Monthly Pageviews since we moved the website to Discourse 8 years ago

Last month marked a new monthly record of 3.4M pageviews - that’s 10x the views of Sep 2016 (320,136 views) :notworthy:

4 Likes

What was going on with these two extreme outliers?

2 Likes

August 2017 = 3,342,955

March 2018 = 2,727,673

1 Like

Based on the list of news events, I wonder if it could have been google pulling up Formosa pages for things that were suddenly being searched for on those days?

1 Like

So . . . people were looking for functionally extinct Kenya rhino details here?

The internet is an interesting place.

Guy

2 Likes

Probably needs more granular data than the monthly totals. The August 2017 one looks to be a definite spike (ca. 50x) on August 23:

Whereas the March 2018 one is sustained over a couple of weeks:

There were similar peaks, with similar patterns, on August 8, 2016, and in March 2017:

Weird. Might it just be an artifact, or some bug with how Discourse calculates pageviews?

1 Like

Thank God forums still exist. The thought of this forum, and many others like it, going the way of Facebook, Twitter, tiktok etc styled absolute bullshit is quite depressing. I also note, not a single like for the original post. Probably because it is a dumb idea. Or because forums aren’t run solely on narcissism…case in point

4 Likes

It couldn’t have gotten any likes until we switched over to Discourse though.

1 Like

I can’t like it now?

:thinking:

Or wont

Either way, keep doing what you guys are doing. I would hate to see an open platform go molders day social media. I love this forum for precisely this reason (long form conversation, even if 15 years old haha)

Edit. No idea what molders day is. And I forgot what I typed, but the auto correct is pretty cool, even if totally bat shit.

2 Likes

Sure, anyone could have lately.

1 Like

You guys should monetize the site somehow.

If you don’t imma going to create a totally mirrored version of it.

Don’t make me do it. :whistle:

I remember the white rhino discussions for the March 2018 spike, but the real news that month has to be Xi removing his term limits, right?

1 Like