Forumosa poster base too narrow?

Does that mean I can’t disagree with anyone?

I’m fine with you being nice to me. Thanks. I’m surprised you or Andrew have not started a thread on how boring boxing is after this weekend’s rematch. We three are the boxing experts on here or am I getting you mixed up with mixed martial arts :sunglasses:

The silly twat got in the ring weighing in at over 20 stone. I thought he did surprisingly well considering.

1 Like

How many of them stick around ?
Maybe they are busy working or having fun somewhere ?

Rather than blaming this site for a Barrow base I think we should realise there are relatively few long term foreigners /expats .
here.

Also the amount of people who can string a sentence together and express a half useful opinion with something to back it up seem to be getting fewer.:grin:

There’s a lot of smart folks on here(ahem) that you we might be overrating the missing smart folks (hah).

4 Likes

I know many married to locals and working in Taiwan long term.

Yeah but my point is are there numbers increasing in a significant manner?
I somehow doubt it.
In fact there are less folks coming from UK , Ireland , Australia, NZ and Africa these days I used to regularly bump into Aussies and Kiwis. Also Africans . Not now .

Many foreigners are temp student residents and non native English speakers. I don’t know what to say to them cos they barely understand Taiwan and have no skin in the game. They wouldn’t contribute much here in my book so they don’t post here anyway.

The maids and labourers are working hard most days and have their own issues. But a big problem is they aren’t allowed permanently reside here.

A lot of those white foreigners we see around town are tourists and students. You can tell because you don’t see them with family.
The Asian looking foreigners from South East Asia , well that’s complex but Formosa may not be their thing if they are huaqiao and trying to become more Taiwanese .

Are anyone’s numbers increasing?

ASEAN is more every year isn’t it? But they don’t have time for Forumosa

I think we’ve also established that getting properly integrated here can be quite difficult. You kind of have to find your own niche.

4 Likes

I’ll let Mr Lightyear give you some nice words:

2 Likes

i think the situation is that there are FEWER foreigners and expats, not just few.
when i joined forumosa almost 13 years ago it had more posters, and Taiwan had more foreigners, today there are less foreigners (even many of our long term posters no longer reside in Taiwan) any many of the posts become useless crap once the old timers start hijacking them to talk between themselves.
My biggest problem with forumosa is that many of the posts wander off topic so fast by the same group of people

4 Likes

Yes I agree and did you see the new Pumpkin Jalapeño beer limited edition just popped up in Neihu Costco again ?

No seriously though I agree some more modding could be required . I’ll admit it.

Biggest problem is less foreigners moving to Taiwan. I guess China also has similar issues actually but they have bigger numbers in a few cities.

2 Likes

Don’t take it all so seriously. Have another coffee and whiskey it will all be fine. Have fun. The Kavalan way. Look at all the joy and fun I’m brought to this forum. It can be done

2 Likes

Anyway the problem isn’t Forumosa which is quite welcoming overall I think, the problem is lack of user base cos they ain’t coming to Taiwan like they used to. Most folks I know have left especially when they had kids.

4 Likes

I thought the problem was too much modding. Or is it not enough now?

1 Like

Left Taiwan or Forumosa?

Modding of other posters as they ramble : strongly supported lol

I also don’t think very many people actually know about Forumosa. And it would seem we have some lurkers, as well.

3 Likes

All you lurkers our there…come out come out wherever you are…

Left Taiwan . Vast majority of my foreigjn friends in Taiwan have left over the years, those with kids (wipes tears from eyes ) , almost all of them. I stick around cos I made it work for us at the moment as I have described in the school’s thread etc.
For those on bog standard salaries in Taiwan and not being spoon-fed by the in-laws with free apartments and cars etc there’s not much to stick around for . For those with the right setup,it works. I made it work because I am very very stubborn and ego driven to an unhealthy degree . Somebody with less ego and more smarts would have left years ago.

2 Likes

About as much as registered posters, if I remember correctly the stats @GooseEgg shared in another thread.

1 Like