Forumosa vs. Taiwaneasy, Forumosa then vs. now

Great point & agree. My supposition is based on what Maoman has said himself on this forum in terms of the kind of site he wanted to create. Namely: less anonymity, easier transition from online world to offline relationships, something distinctly different from forumosa. That type of site already exists (FB, etc) and if what he has in mind doesn’t fit into anything that exists now (including forumosa), then the demand for such a site is just too small & hence not viable. As what has happened with taiwaneasy has proven.

1 Like

Sorry guys. Yeah, those brotherly blood oaths are all fine and dandy, but things can go too far and end up a bit “Taiwanese gym.”
I’m teaching a class in a few minutes, so I’ll kept this short.
“Hitomi, stop that. Go and sit with Cherry and finish your homework.”
Where was I? Oh yeah, I thought the incidents in question were covered by a statute of limitations, but, of course, when we’re talking Lovecraftian Level Horror then it’s endless, eternal doom, er, forever, and giant penguins.
"Rod, stop touching Roger like that. You’ll grow up to be Canadian English teachers. Do something useful. Go and bully that kid over there, yeah, the one wearing the koala T-shirt. "
Things a bit chaotic here at the coalface. Chat later.
“Agnetha, Frida,…”

Yes, and the answer to something more “community minded” than tealit is right here, forumosa.

But forumosa didn’t want to seriously take on the things that tealit covered, like job ads etc. Taiwanease did want to move into that territory.
Of course, that is not the way things played out, so, as it stands now your assertion that Taiwanease is redundant is correct. In fact, Maoman makes your point himself, voting with his feet so to speak, by posting far more often on FB than on his own forum.

1 Like

:eek:

I thought you weren’t on Facebook, JR Ewing.

Ooh, Jimmy is awake!

1 Like

“jimi”

3 Likes

Yes and No. If people ask “Are you on FB?” the short answer I give is “No, I don’t use it.” The longer answer is that I joined it ages ago but hated it and haven’t used it since. I occasionally get directed there by family members to look at photos, but avoid it otherwise. In most cases FB makes me think much more poorly of people i know, which is a pity. It really is a blight on modern life. Would be a better world if people read more books instead. With FB, people struggle to even read articles - headlines seem to be enough.

2 Likes

You see, I said you’re awake, you noticed!

People can not post baby pics on a book!

Jimi,

Good to see you again. Where’s Threadkiller!

1 Like

I dearly miss the jimmy p “ live” version :cry: The missed ellipses, the late night rants , knowing that he is a big softie underneath that harsh exterior :smirk: . I particularly miss the “trigger” words from yesteryear . Words like mainland :yum:. You are a legend :sneezing_face:

2 Likes

And rugby and cricket :pensive:

2 Likes

Dear Threadkiller is preoccupied with the coming university semester and the syllabus thereof. He’s also, like me, an unconscionable drunkard; hence I doubt we’ll hear from him.

2 Likes

Thank you, shiadoa. You are, indeed, a gentleman.

I was having a go at the fuckwits on the Facebook “English Teacher” forums about that “Mainland” bullshit, earlier. They seem aghast and not a little confused. :smile:

2 Likes

I’ve always wondered about posters that sign up, are prolific posters for a few months to a year, rack up a ton of likes, then disappear into the ether back from whence they came.

Where did you come from, where did you go? Where did you come from cotton eye Joe.

Seems there is more of a market for a site that lets (old) people banter.images

• Actual picture of average Forumosans

Banter ? No idea what you may possibly mean ? :wink:

I think it’s amazing, possibly unique, that forumosa.com has survived the tsunami of social-media options presented in the past twenty years. Even more amazing, it seems to be thriving now. I came here two years ago or so because my BIL in Taipei recommended it, even though he’s about as Taiwanese as they come and had only a reporter’s second-hand knowledge of it.

How long has this website been around, anybody know? If it has survived the rise of Facebook, then it’s a real warrior and we, by extension, are … what?

7 Likes