Forumosa's Milestones

[quote=“sandman”][quote=“Mucha (Muzha) (Muzha) Man”]Two more months and the new Lonely Planet comes out. Forumosa will then be on the lips of every English teacher, copyright lawyer, rich bitch corporate wife, and Chinese student currently habitating or heading for the land that dare not say its name.

INTERNATIONAL EXPOSURE!! :astonished:[/quote]
Damn! Stragbasher, you’ll have to start wearing a tie when you post. In fact, we all will.[/quote]

That’s all I ever wear when I post. I think I look kind of dashing.

Yep…been watching for the update so I don’t sound like a broken record, again, but

I’ll see about automating this and a few other stats about Forumosa.

We’re past 4,000 registered users, though this number tends to take periodic dives when Maoman conducts one of his purges of inactive accounts. (So if you’re a lurker and want to keep your cool user name, you really should post sometime.)

Also, the site should hit a quarter of a million posts sometime around Chinese New Year. :bravo:

[quote]In total there are 196 users online :: 17 Registered, 7 Hidden and 172 Guests [ Administrator ] [ Moderator ]
Most users ever online was 213 on Thu Dec 30, 2004 10:55 pm[/quote]

And I must say, not a performance hit on the site. KISS is good! Very nice indeed.

[quote=“Yellow Cartman”][quote]In total there are 196 users online :: 17 Registered, 7 Hidden and 172 Guests [ Administrator ] [ Moderator ]
Most users ever online was 213 on Thu Dec 30, 2004 10:55 pm[/quote]

And I must say, not a performance hit on the site. KISS is good! Very nice indeed.[/quote]

Yeah but 172 guests?? Seems kinda strange don’t you think?

Quite. Lets av’it then mods.

And they’re still there. Something strange is going on which concerns me. Gus ?

Yeah, I think it’s fishy, too (bummer!)

Anyone have any ideas what’s going on? Maybe someone could jump over to www.phpbb.com to see if anyone has reported this type of sudden jump, and what can be done it if it’s malicious

that said, our 24 hour post numbers have jumped, too – we were doing about 500 posts every 24 hours this week (which is lower than the 600 per day we were doing a couple of weeks back). Now, we’re up to over 800!

I’d like to think it was the Petition-effect… but it’s more likely a bug or some kind of attack (HINT: time to back up the website)

[quote=“Goose Egg”]Anyone have any ideas what’s going on? Maybe someone could jump over to phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=251730
-> phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=249010 <- try this one
I thought you could check a few guests’ IPs or something and ban them.
Taiwan ho has the same thing.

Maybe it was the Y2K bug…only 5 years late?

We’re now past a quarter of a million posts.

Yes, and that qualifies us as a ‘large forum.’ Some of our mods are beginning to affect our performance as a result.

4966 registered users as of right now. 48-something on Sunday. 3800 in late December.

I think Maoman should buy a keg of rum for the 5000th new member.

10,000 by the end of the year?

i’d risk a second persona for a keg of rye …

I’d wager that a lot of those are inactive/never activated/multiple accounts. Our mail server was acting up, and I think that it took a lot of people a few tries to get online. I probably won’t prune users for a few months, but when I do, you can expect the number to dramatically drop. Which isn’t to say we aren’t growing - I know we are - but the numbers at the bottom of the page aren’t always dead accurate.

The numbers I’d be more curious about is the daily posts count. It’s gone down I’m sure. Since the new rules especially. Maybe it’s just me. Not sure if it’s a good thing or not.

On the contrary, we returned to pre-CNY levels as of last week - 650+ per day

We entered the 600+ posts per day (PPD) range in january. PPD is my favorite indicator for how “well” Forumosa is doing. This time last year, I believe we were in the 300 neighborhood. When the ICRT Petition began, we entered 500 PPD territory. I even remember a day in Jan when we touched 700!

On the Thursday before the CNY break, we lowered to the 500s and I was surprised. By the weekend, we were in the 300s. And during CNY, we hovered in the 200s PPD. It took till Thu last week for us to ge tback to 600+

For comparison, TaiwanHo registers anywhere from 25 to 35 PPD, or about 120 per week

Effect of the New Rules? Zero IMHO

It was just me. Thanks for the numbers.