Freedom of Movement

I have traveled to 19 different countries in my life, and there are more that I want to see. Travelling is my hobby, and living in Taiwan has given me to do more travelling within Asia.

However, during this time, the Coronavirus is threatening my hobby for travelling internationally because there are 89 countries that are effected by this pestilence, including
Taiwan, and my home country.

I made my plan to visit Thailand this coming April for the long 4-day weekend (April 2-5, 2020), and now I have to cancel my plan and stay here to endure the pain-in-the-neck traffic here in Taiwan for that weekend. It is the Tomb Sweeping Day Weekend, and this holiday has nothing to do with me, neither do I have anything to do with this holiday. But because of the Coronavirus scare I cannot leave Thailand because my school informed me that due to the fact that I am teaching in a public school, I cannot travel out of Taiwan during any weekends (not even a long weekend) in the middle of the school semester. Because just in case I was exposed to or flying on the same plane with an infected person, I would be forced into a 14-day quarantine. For that to happen in the middle of the semester is not good because the school would have to go through a lot of trouble to find a substitute teacher to cover for me. So in order to avoid that, I will remain imprisoned here in Taiwan until July. My principal decided to follow the government rule so I have to comply.

However, if the Coronavirus did not happen, the school, the school board, and the government still have no right to stop me or limit me from my freedom of movement. It is
against international law to stop or limit a person of their freedom of movement. Quarantine is an exception. If I want to travel outside of Taiwan to The Philippines, Cambodia, Thailand, Korea, or Japan on a long weekend, I must and should have the right to do that. After all, these Asian countries are within short flying distance from Taiwan. It’s not like I am going to Canada or Russia in the middle of the semester.

I did not plan to travel to Korea, Japan, China, or Hong Kong for the long weekend. I planned to take a 3 and a half hour flight to Bangkok, Thailand (but stay somewhere else outside of Bangkok). Going to Thailand and back to Taipei on a 4-day long weekend is doable, but with the Coronavirus scare, my school says that I cannot do this. But as I said, if the Coronavirus pandemic was not happening this would still be considered a violation against my freedom of movement.

No, nobody is violating your right to come and go as you please. It is just you must face the consequences if you choose to do so. Had it been a violation of your rights you would be forced to stay here or imprisioned if you choose to go ahead, which both are not options now. The most will happen is you will be quarantined at home (or hospital if you are sick). No violations of rights whatsoever.

18 Likes

A deadly, global pandemic is happening. All my students have had their travel exchange and study abroad trips cancelled. They’re disappointed, but they deal with it because these are extraordinary times that require understanding and sacrifice. You should deal with it too.

13 Likes

Are you a Taiwanese citizen with Household Registration?

In the wake of Coronavirus, I understand that I will have to avoid this trip.
But as I said, if it had not been for Coronavirus, I would still go to Thailand.

Um… but the pandemic is happening. So what exactly are you complaining about? Governments might be making it up as they go along, but at least they’re trying to contain it.

And in any case “freedom of movement” hasn’t been a thing for about 200 years. Long gone are the days when you could just buy passage on a ship to wherever you pleased without anyone asking questions. Governments control and patrol their borders with great gusto these days, and in general that’s a good thing.

12 Likes

Freedom has its limits. I still have the freedom to travel to any country in the world as long as I have a passport, even if there is no visa waiver.

Coulda, woulda, shoulda. Geez… just about everyone I know had to cancel a trip. This is the reality. Just accept it. You’ll feel better knowing you have a lot of company.

10 Likes

No you dont. You have permission to enter if determined so by a border guard.

4 Likes

KP, your monicker indicates a genuine idealistic streak. But there is something serious happening—and as other forumosans have advised, you should pay attention to it.

At this point, you might want to pay attention to the terms and conditions of your airline ticket to Bangkok. If Thailand indeed goes through with any sort of restrictions on travel (as has been reported), you’ll be able to get your money back as the airline will then waive cancellation fees. It may be helpful to keep up with developments on flyertalk, which has a much wider community of users who know about these sorts of things.

In short, it’s perfectly normal to feel disappointed, but sometimes we need to be practical too.

Take care,
Guy

2 Likes

Cool story bro.

But, what’s the point? Is there a question somewhere? Is this just a whiny rant?

FYI, no one is violating your freedom of movement. Do whatever you want and then suffer the consequences later.

Whatever……………

18 Likes

is this for teachers who travel anywhere? how about students?

I may be disappointed now. But after my co-worker told me a story of how she lost more money than me for her missed flight, I don’t have much to complain about at all. So if I have to stay in Taiwan and rent a car to go to Kenting Beach for that long weekend I will do that.
I just hope that this Coronavirus pandemic comes to a complete end ASAP.

1 Like

The same goes for students.

You can still go. You are a free human, you are not in prison. But when you come back you will be quarantined. And, depending on your school/government policy you might be let go. It is up to you to go or not. Nobody is holding a gun to your head.

13 Likes

how about my part time chinese lessons? i can’t go to school if i travel?..which i need to for a visa run.

I need to make a personal trip to Germany soon. Nobody is holding my rights. But I understand that if Taiwan impose a quarantine to anyone who have flown/stayed in Germany in the near future I will be submitted to the home quarantine. So it is up to me if I will travel or not, no one is making the decision for me or prohibiting to go as I am a free citizen.

2 Likes

This topic looks perfect for the Temp, no @hannes?
Is there really a discussion going on here?

You could use your mighty power.

1 Like

Yeah… I know :wink: