Freelancing in Taiwan

A post was merged into an existing topic: EVA complaints thread :rant:

It really depends on your level of experience. As @tando stated, for the most part, places that are able/willing to offer work permits will be very high-end. If you have gone to school and have work experience at high-end restaurants, then you have a chance. The Mandarin won’t necessarily be an issue (it will really depend on the place and your level of experience). It would be hard to get those types of places to hire you if you don’t have a decent amount of experience, though.

@yyy , as for freelancing/working for foreign companies through internet, I got some answer from MOL.


1 Like

Harder than if you do speak Mandarin. But there is always a shortage of qualified chefs and I have met foreign chefs who work for international hotels or upscale restaurants. The pay isn’t great, but this route would get you into Taiwan and into a kitchen.

Damn. I’m only a beginner though…

How about becoming an au pair? Is that a realistic possibility? How about getting a visa for that? I have been an intern at a local elementary school here twice so I have some experience. Is being transgender an issue there?

if you get a working holiday visa, maybe you can do that legally. To do babysitter, you need to get a certificate from taiwanese authority, but I think you can legally do housekeeping jobs on a working holiday visa.

Or, you may get a work permit for housemaid job as a blue collar worker, but it may be also hard if you are a westerner. the salary and working condition for the job are often not good too.

3 posts were split to a new topic: Troll cave

Alright, thanks for the information! Which Taiwanese authority should I contact about the babysitting/housesitting job?

Damn, I’m not able to get a working holiday visa, my country isn’t one of the countries eligible for it.
Edit: Apparently au pairs usually get a resident visa! I’ll google more about that…

How is being housemaid different compared to childcare/babysitting? :0

in Taiwan, people cannot employ a foreigner for babysitting. They also cannot just employ a foreigner for housekeeping jobs, and there are some criteria employers need to meet, as well criteria for employees.

some info on foreign blue collar workers in Taiwan.

I’m not sure about the au pair, but my experience with business is that visas are only given to white collar workers based on a skill set including training and education . Blue collar workers are not offered visas as they would take a job away from a local.
Ex. I could be given a visa to be the manager of a company, but I would put that visa at risk of I were working the blue collar job as well.

I would start by emailing a few high end hotels and get info about apprenticeship visas. It could be a possibility

majority of foreigners living in Taiwan are blue collar workers on work visas.

Job types that give you a white collar work permit, and requirements are explainwd here.

Cooking jobs are included in categories A02 or A15.

You are correct. I was taking from experience about getting an ARC through a business license. I am not sure about other blue collar factory jobs etc.
I was told that that being a business visa would be granted based on skills and that they prevented this person from engaging in work that is considered blue collar. For the government to provide a work permit, they consider your level of experience and education.

in that case, I think studying can be an option. there are government scholarships to learn mandarin or to get a degree.


Students can get a part time work permit. (It is from the 2nd year for a language student.) And can do most jobs with same credentials with taiwanese up to 14hr a week. If you get a degree, it might increase your options.

1 Like

Thanks, I’ll have a closer look later.

How about tourism related jobs? I chatted with an acquaintance who studies in Taiwan and apparently she has a friend who doesn’t really know mandarin but works as a travel agent. That sounds interesting to me. Tour guide and hotel receptionist jobs also interest me a lot. Is there a demand for tourism related jobs like that in Taiwan?

Also, what type of criteria do the employers have to meet in general?

Unofficial translation:

1. According to the provisions of Art. 43 of the Employment Service Act (hereinafter the Act): “Except as otherwise provided for in thist Act, a foreigner for whom a work permit has not been applied for by the employer shall not work within the borders of the ROC.”, and furthermore, the Council of Labor Affairs (now changed to the Ministry of Labor) in 2006-02-03 Lao Zhi Wai Zi letter #0950502128 states in part that what Art. 43 of the Act calls “work” is definitely not determined by the outward form of the contract or whether or not there is remuneration, but if in fact the foreigner is providing labor or work, even if there is no compensation, it is still categorized as work.

2. Based on what is written in Sir/Madam’s message, for a foreigner residing (or staying) in Taiwan visa-free or with a visa, providing labor in Taiwan via the Internet to an individual or company outside the borders of the ROC in exchange for remuneration, if the natural person or juridical person [company etc.] receiving Sir/Madam’s labor is within the borders of our country, then it is necessary in accordance with the Act and the relevant provisions to apply for a work permit, and after the approval by this Ministry [of Labor], [Sir/Madam] can work in Taiwan. If the natural person or juridical person engages in work within the borders of our country without approval by this Ministry, it shall be handled as a violation of the provisions of Art. 43 of the Act, and one may be ordered to leave the borders [i.e. be deported].

That seems to mean that if the only aspect of the work is your physical presence in Taiwan, whereas the website/person/company you work for is overseas and is not receiving your work through any kind of local representative office etc., then you don’t need a work permit. :rainbow:

I don’t doubt Tando, but I still would take a “scientific” approach: can this statement from the MOL be replicated? :thinking:

1 Like

you could send another inquiry with different and better wording than mine. I was not sure if they understood what I tried to ask by my inquiry.

1 Like

Hello, unearthing this thread because I’m currently thinking about doing freelance work. Since I don’t really plan to create a small business, but just take up some part time jobs here and there, is it necessary to be able to issue receipts?

Also, when it comes to taxes, can I just ask the companies I’ll work for to deduct it in my behalf? Pretty much the same as they would if I was working as a full-time employee.

All thoughts (and suggestions) are welcome!