Freeloading, mooching and other parasitical behavior

WOOHOO! Dinners got statutes of limitations!

You have to forgive me 914. As a Scottish person, I’m a little more sensitive to mooching than other people. There’s probably more jokes about how hard it is to get into a Scotsman’s wallet than there are about what’s under his kilt. :wink:

Yeah, but Tash is a GIRL!!

From a managers point of view…
The most annoying moocher is the expat on a good salary who winds his watch back 5 minutes in order to get the last happy hour drink in, and gets his mates to do the same. When told that happy hour finished 5 minutes ago, he then threatens never to return and will tell the entire civilised world how much of a tight prick you are. (They always come back though)
Then the guy who comes out several days before payday with no money, drinks his fill knowing he cant pay and demands credit… :loco:
Moochers in my opinion

Come on! You guys haven’t said anything about the folks who fill their coat pockets with 7-11 beer and whiskey and keep nursing one neverending beer all night long.

Or the guys who put on black slacks and a white button down shirt and pretend to be rude waiters, clearing tables before the food is gone, just to slink to the back tables and finish the meal.

Those guys are PRICKS! :fume: huffhuff

[quote=“jdsmith”]

Or the guys who put on black slacks and a white button down shirt and pretend to be rude waiters, clearing tables before the food is gone, just to slink to the back tables and finish the meal.[/quote]

Yeah, do you have any idea how hard it is for a guy like me to pass myself off as a Carnegie’s waitress???

(Or 2 Carnegie’s waitresses, just to cut off the flood of wiseacre replies that were about to come flooding in)

Maybe it’s a mild form of kleptomania.

Hey guys! You don’t mind if I borrow some bandwidth, do ya?

Thanks!

We have started paying attention to this stuff because it seems that reciprocity has not been factoring in. I enjoy spending time with friends and will help all friends out. When aforementioned friends can’t afford a drink or two, we’ll buy it.

This started changing when the same friends were going on vacation for 3 months to Thailand, or buying expensive clothing, etc. The announcement of this purchase would happen a day or two after we “helped them out.”

Obviously, we were financing their vacations.

Never again.

The vast majority of Taiwanese businessmen I’ve dealt with are incredibly generous, would rather lose a ball than let someone else pay. I’ve had to come up with all sorts of sneaky ploys to pay the bill once in a while.

A few months ago, I was talking about what rich people in Taiwan are like with a friend of mine who works with multi-millionaire clients. Now, popular stereotype of rich people is often the tightfisted miser, the person who formed the Grand Canyon because he/she dropped a quarter down a gopher hole. My friend observed that each of his wealthy clients was exceptionally generous with his/her time, money, and influence. My friend is well on his way to becoming a millionaire himself, and has taken to going the extra mile when doing a favor for a friend, donating to charity, taking time out to help someone in need. He told me that he learned to do so from his wealthy clients.

I think generosity is, in general, the best way to approach personal relationships. With a little wisdom, we choose as friends those who are capable of recognizing generosity for what it is.

[quote=“Tomas”]The vast majority of Taiwanese businessmen I’ve dealt with are incredibly generous, would rather lose a ball than let someone else pay. I’ve had to come up with all sorts of sneaky ploys to pay the bill once in a while.

A few months ago, I was talking about what rich people in Taiwan are like with a friend of mine who works with multi-millionaire clients. Now, popular stereotype of rich people is often the tightfisted miser, the person who formed the Grand Canyon because he/she dropped a quarter down a gopher hole. My friend observed that each of his wealthy clients was exceptionally generous with his/her time, money, and influence. My friend is well on his way to becoming a millionaire himself, and has taken to going the extra mile when doing a favor for a friend, donating to charity, taking time out to help someone in need. He told me that he learned to do so from his wealthy clients.

I think generosity is, in general, the best way to approach personal relationships. With a little wisdom, we choose as friends those who are capable of recognizing generosity for what it is.[/quote]

VERY well put. Especially, “With a little wisdom, we choose as friends those who are capable of recognizing generosity for what it is.”

It’s either that or you are actually 2 Carnegie’s waitresses inside the Chief and working him by strings and levers. That would explain a lot of things I’ve wondered about.

Except of course when it comes to paying wages and bonuses. :raspberry:

HG

It’s either that or you are actually 2 Carnegie’s waitresses inside the Chief and working him by strings and levers. That would explain a lot of things I’ve wondered about.

Kinda like a Chinese New Year’s Dragon that plays roadhouses, shoots cheap whiskey and knocks drunks off bar stools.
TpeBob you’re an Evil genius!

Except of course when it comes to paying wages and bonuses. :raspberry:

HG[/quote]

Oh, I meant that they are generous when paying for dinner, drinks, etc. As to how the same socially generous fellows treat their employees, agreed, there’s a broad range of behaviour there.

hmm, lately it seems like there is a recurring theme on freeloaders (i.e., the frying scotsman complained about them as well). Because of business generated through F.com do certain people demand discounts?

I would think that Taiwan is pretty much the same as everywhere else. Would not say any worse, perhaps better. Of course in business, when it comes to negotiate price and terms with a supplier, one got to be really tough and squeeze every penny. When it comes to supporting a charity or a community event, business in Taiwan seem to be very generous, I personally learned a lot in that sense from a very successfull Taiwanese Business man. Love the story High Way star wrote about the Happy Hour wrist watch :smiley: .

I get certainly every week a mail or a call from someone looking for a sponsor for something or the other. Want to share the one that amused me the most. A guy makes me a proposal to sponsor (pay for) his and his girl friend’s trip to some Island in the Pacific, his girl friend would do some increddible under water filming of his deep sea diving. He offered me that he would put big tavern logos on his oxygen bottles and he would then sell the film in Taiwan to diving shops and schools that would then give the Tavern, in his words, unprecedented exposure. Wished the guy good luck in his attempt to find an idiot to pay for his vacations.

[quote=“Taverncaptain”]I would think that Taiwan is pretty much the same as everywhere else. Would not say any worse, perhaps better. Of course in business, when it comes to negotiate price and terms with a supplier, one got to be really tough and squeeze every penny. When it comes to supporting a charity or a community event, business in Taiwan seem to be very generous, I personally learned a lot in that sense from a very successfull Taiwanese Business man. Love the story High Way star wrote about the Happy Hour wrist watch :smiley: .

I get certainly every week a mail or a call from someone looking for a sponsor for something or the other. Want to share the one that amused me the most. A guy makes me a proposal to sponsor (pay for) his and his girl friend’s trip to some Island in the Pacific, his girl friend would do some increddible under water filming of his deep sea diving. He offered me that he would put big tavern logos on his oxygen bottles and he would then sell the film in Taiwan to diving shops and schools that would then give the Tavern, in his words, unprecedented exposure. Wished the guy good luck in his attempt to find an idiot to pay for his vacations.[/quote]TC -
Send me t-shirts. I will wear them as I motovate around Tainan.

It is indeed a joke.

[quote=“Tomas”]The vast majority of Taiwanese businessmen I’ve dealt with are incredibly generous, would rather lose a ball than let someone else pay. I’ve had to come up with all sorts of sneaky ploys to pay the bill once in a while.
I think generosity is, in general, the best way to approach personal relationships. With a little wisdom, we choose as friends those who are capable of recognizing generosity for what it is.[/quote]Tomas -
Thanks for posting this.
This has been my experience also.
I attribute it to karma. People who work hard know damn well that what they put out does come back to them.
Its the small beans asshats who prolong the example of the tightwad small minded loser.

[quote=“TainanCowboy”][quote=“Taverncaptain”]I would think that Taiwan is pretty much the same as everywhere else. Would not say any worse, perhaps better. Of course in business, when it comes to negotiate price and terms with a supplier, one got to be really tough and squeeze every penny. When it comes to supporting a charity or a community event, business in Taiwan seem to be very generous, I personally learned a lot in that sense from a very successfull Taiwanese Business man. Love the story High Way star wrote about the Happy Hour wrist watch :smiley: .

I get certainly every week a mail or a call from someone looking for a sponsor for something or the other. Want to share the one that amused me the most. A guy makes me a proposal to sponsor (pay for) his and his girl friend’s trip to some Island in the Pacific, his girl friend would do some increddible under water filming of his deep sea diving. He offered me that he would put big tavern logos on his oxygen bottles and he would then sell the film in Taiwan to diving shops and schools that would then give the Tavern, in his words, unprecedented exposure. Wished the guy good luck in his attempt to find an idiot to pay for his vacations.[/quote]TC -
Send me t-shirts. I will wear them as I motovate around Tainan.

It is indeed a joke.
[/quote]
What size?

I think Fred Smith is the only one who has ever bought me a drink.
Bunch of freeloading cheapskates, the whole lot of you.