(Functionally Disabled) Obese People of the World, Unite!

(Functionally Disabled) Dyslexic Obese People of the World, Untie!

So how would one go about getting enough water? How do you filter ocean water?

The scary thing is actually cutting off flesh to cook. If the body was frozen I think I could deal with it more. Or not.

It’s generally not feasible to filter ocean water. That’s why people die at sea (or the cold if they’re in the water for too long).

If you’re on an island, and there’s no rain or other fresh water access, you could try a condensation process, but you would need a good deal of sunlight. Theoretically, you could do it with any liquid including your pea.

Remember high school chemistry? basically using the physics of evaporation and condensation to move the water molecules from a solution state (in solution with particularates like salts in ocean water, or urea from urine (or whatever it is) to steam, move the steam to a cooler area where it condenses back into water, and hopefully, into a collection spot where you can save all the water for consumption.

What sort of judgements are you referring to?

High metabolisms do give us lucky ones the right to lord it over those with slow metabolisms. However, a steady diet of junk combined with little to no exercise will eventually make even the fastest of metabolisms collapse. I have to watch my weight now. I watch it burgeoning daily.

I recall a horror tale from the end of the Vietnam war, when South Vietnamese Rangers and civilians bundled into a leaky boat to escape the fall of Saigon. The boat broke down somewhere near the Philippines, and as the food was exhausted, and despite several frail older people dying, the Rangers opted to kill and eat instead a 19-year old vegetarian lass, figuring, and according to Buttercup likely rightly so, that the meat would be better. They’d done the deed and were cooking her up when an American ship arrived. The Rangers were later charged with murder.

I jokingly told a young English vegetarian lass that story on a ship reeling in a typhoon on the way to Shanghai. I also said I’d be sure to follow her into whatever lifeboat she was headed for if we were going down. This seemed to have an awful effect on her presence of mind.

HG

I can tell that some of us obviously know the story, but maybe some of us are too young to know the story of the Andes plane crash in 1974 where the survivors turned to cannibalism, that was the subject of this book, Alive. I was totally captivated by that book when it came out.

Anyway, many skinny people and fat people will die upon impact, so one doesn’t have to actually kill them or wait for their fat reserves to be depleted in order to try them out and see how they compare to the skinnier passengers.

The book, incidentally, contains all kinds of graphic and bizarre details regarding the cutting up and eating of human flesh – it’s a frank and open discussion by the survivors, nothing phoney and whitewashed for puritans – so it might be prudent reading before long flights over remote mountain regions, as a sort of a manual, just in case.

Time to brush up on chemistry…

I was listening to NPR the other day and there’s a tribe in Indonesia that practices cannibalism. The lady who was being interviewed had written about this tribe and she said, “Imagine you can’t even sleep deeply at night because you don’t want to be killed for your flesh…they were eating dinner and I asked them what they were having and one man said ‘that young man we had met the other day.’” Oh good gawd…

It’s generally not feasible to filter ocean water. That’s why people die at sea (or the cold if they’re in the water for too long).[/quote]

I seem to recall a story about a family that survived some time in a life raft or a boat adrift, and the mom, who was a nurse, gave them enemas for hydration. I have no idea whether that would work or not. Was it an urban legend? Would Mythbusters have any interest in testing that one? Somehow I doubt it. :laughing:

[quote=“Dragonbones”]
I seem to recall a story about a family that survived some time in a life raft or a boat adrift, and the mom, who was a nurse, gave them enemas for hydration. I have no idea whether that would work or not. [/quote]

strangely enough, that might work quite well. the rectal and sigmoid colon tissue is actually designed to reabsorb water and the desired salts (such as potassium, carbonate, etc) from faeces, leaving behind the unwanted/excess salts, and a ‘firmer’ consistency of fecal matter, so direct absorption of water from saline from there is possible too.

Yup. Hey, no offense to big(ger) people, but I paid for that seat, and the airline doesn’t give me very much room. I want every centimeter of it.

They’ve already done that, and the result is high ticket prices and yet seats so tiny that my petite, barely 45-kg. wife is uncomfortable in one, and seats so tiny that if there’s a big person next to me, they spill over into my space.[/quote]
Whilst I can manage to keep my belly within the confines of my seat, I often find it impossible to scrunch my shoulders in. The end result is that I am sticking out on both ends - getting bumped and jostled by the trolley cart and or passersby, and infringing on the space of the person next to me - who is usually my wife or my daughter, so no big deal. However, if I were to be seated next to a total stranger, the closeness would surely be an annoyance to us both.

[quote=“urodacus”][quote=“Dragonbones”]
I seem to recall a story about a family that survived some time in a life raft or a boat adrift, and the mom, who was a nurse, gave them enemas for hydration. I have no idea whether that would work or not. [/quote]

strangely enough, that might work quite well. the rectal and sigmoid colon tissue is actually designed to reabsorb water and the desired salts (such as potassium, carbonate, etc) from faeces, leaving behind the unwanted/excess salts, and a ‘firmer’ consistency of fecal matter, so direct absorption of water from saline from there is possible too.[/quote]

yummy.

[quote=“urodacus”][quote=“Dragonbones”]

strangely enough, that might work quite well. the rectal and sigmoid colon tissue is actually designed to reabsorb water and the desired salts (such as potassium, carbonate, etc) from faeces, leaving behind the unwanted/excess salts, and a ‘firmer’ consistency of fecal matter, so direct absorption of water from saline from there is possible too.[/quote]

Wow, learn something new everyday. I was checking out a website the other day with moms giving their kids enemas, and other stuff, but I had no idea it was for medical reasons.

That reminds me of the urine machine on the space station. It has some problems. I wonder what the astronauts would do if they got stuck up there and didn’t have any more food.

Did you think they were doing it for fun?

I do have a standing offer in case anyone wants to eat me.

High metabolisms do give us lucky ones the right to lord it over those with slow metabolisms. However, a steady diet of junk combined with little to no exercise will eventually make even the fastest of metabolisms collapse. I have to watch my weight now. I watch it burgeoning daily.[/quote]

Sure. But I don’t pass judgement on people who smoke, drink, take drugs, even though it is dull, lame and shows the same kind of character flaw. It’s also different, unsurprisingly, for women.

High metabolisms do give us lucky ones the right to lord it over those with slow metabolisms. However, a steady diet of junk combined with little to no exercise will eventually make even the fastest of metabolisms collapse. I have to watch my weight now. I watch it burgeoning daily.[/quote]

Sure. But I don’t pass judgement on people who smoke, drink, take drugs, even though it is dull, lame and shows the same kind of character flaw. It’s also different, unsurprisingly, for women.[/quote]

Buttercup, which judgements about overweight people do you mean?

I wouldn’t want to unite with another obese person. The bed might break.

I have the exact same problem, which is why I hate flying. Even when I was skinny, I was still uncomfortable in airplanes, as I’m 6’2". Does that mean I’m 2" short of a freakishly elongated body?

I was bumped up to first class on a recent business trip from Atlanta to Salt Lake City. It was pure bliss.

[quote=“cfimages”]If you’re obese because you’re too fucking lazy to exercise and eat right, you should pay extra.

For those that obese due to some other medical condition, not paying extra is perfectly fair.[/quote]

That’s very generous of you. But could you be more specific as to which medical conditions airlines should look out for? Also, what if a patron isn’t lazy and does eat right, but is still fat? I made the decision to lose weight several months ago, and dropped 12lb in a week from 254lb to 242lb by cutting out junk food and continuing to exercise like I have for the past 12 years. I’ve fluctuated around that weight since then, despite exercising regularly and eating healthy. And yet, according to a government rating system, I am still obese. And indeed I have trouble fitting into airplane seats without bumping my shoulders and elbows into fellow patrons. Should there be a test regarding laziness and/or diet, or is the proof in the pudding, so to speak? Should we ignore laziness, diet, and medical conditions, and simply determine cost by weight? That seems to be what some other posters have suggested.

I have to admit, I don’t particularly look forward to being weighed like a piece of luggage. Sorry, I’m probably being a typical fat guy, lazy and selfish. I will submit to the will of the collective and starve myself until I am perfect.