Gay Music?

I’m sorry, but this is turning into another PC rant, and there is far too much of that already. :unamused:

You think so? But i’m just getting warmed up!

Seriously, being gay should have no effect on the artist. Anymore than that of being yellow, black, white or brown, of diabetes, being crippled, or having a mole on your left shoulder.

Good art is great Art, regardless of any personal characteristics of the author!

I think there’s a world of difference between Queer Eye and the list in this thread - as in one’s a bloody joke. We make fun of people of all skin colors, shapes, sizes, religions, hair colors, nationalities, what kind of car people drive, accents - why are we not allowed to make jokes about sexuality? Equality means having to take shit just like every other person on the planet.

well, OK, explain why during Gay Pride marches and Mardi Gras there are certain songs chosen for their gay icon factor? It’s not the heterosexuals telling the organisers to choose this or that cos it’s a gay icon song - it’s all the cool music.

Anyway, I think this is all getting taking a bit seriously.

Little Buddha, can you please jump in and give us your take on this?

Excellent point. Which is why I used to love “Kids in the Hall”, a CBC (Canuck) comedy series which had many gay jokes (4 of the 5 cast members were gay). They were great at playing off not only gay vs gay, but also gay vs straight. They were censored, and eventually dropped, for obvious PC reasons. Too bad, as it takes a master comedian to take the piss out of himself. And usually, that’s when comedy is at it’s best. Dave Allen et al,…

Dude, you just proved my point! It’s the music that counts, not it’s gay identity, or supposed perception of same!

[quote=“TheGingerMan”][quote=“Truant”]
well, OK, explain why during Gay Pride marches and Mardi Gras there are certain songs chosen for their gay icon factor? It’s not the heterosexuals telling the organisers to choose this or that cos it’s a gay icon song - it’s all the cool music.
[/quote]

Dude, you just proved my point! It’s the music that counts, not it’s gay identity, or supposed perception of same![/quote]
great. now hopefully we can see this for what it is, just a bit of light heartedness.

One of the best Restaurants in my home town is a fine place called “Dorothy’s”, run by a couple of guys no less. :slight_smile: Love that place.

Ok, I hear ya.

It’s just that I wish for more of a direct angle. Some of the best rock and pop music has been written by gay people, or folks who have delved therein. I’m thinking Elton John, David Bowie, Lennon, Jagger etc.

Plus, don’t take me too seriously. I’m just providing the counterpoint, that’s all! :slight_smile:

J

[quote=“TheGingerMan”]

Excellent point. Which is why I used to love “Kids in the Hall”, a CBC (Canuck) comedy series which had many gay jokes (4 of the 5 cast members were gay). [/quote]

:loco:

Nope. Only one - Scott Thompson. The rest are straight.

[quote=“Ric Flair”][quote=“TheGingerMan”]

Excellent point. Which is why I used to love “Kids in the Hall”, a CBC (Canuck) comedy series which had many gay jokes (4 of the 5 cast members were gay). [/quote]

:loco:

Nope. Only one - Scott Thompson. The rest are straight.[/quote]

Sorry, I stand corrected. I googled it, and was surprised to find you are right. Not sure how I had that impression. Think I remember reading something about it quite a few years ago… Must have confused them with someone else. Thanks for the info.

Go West.

I totally agree. The fact that there is no Elton John or Joy Division , to name only two artists, on your friend’s list totally destroys his theory.
[/quote]
Wait a minute…Joy Division? Come again? What planet are you from?

I totally agree. The fact that there is no Elton John or Joy Division , to name only two artists, on your friend’s list totally destroys his theory.
[/quote]
Wait a minute…Joy Division? Come again? What planet are you from?[/quote]

I second that. Joy Division??? :s

If I remember my troubled adolescent years correctly, Joy Division was good at inspiring suicide, but homosexuality?

And… on a more important note, why do people always ruin Mother T’s threads? She starts off a cool and funky little thread with the intention to entertain the masses (the kind soul that she is), and then you righteous people come in and ruin it with your PC crap. This is not the first time and I’m sick of it! :fume:

exactly. On that note, surely the PC people should defend us kiwi’s when all the sheep shagging jokes get laid on. :s

They’re jokes? I thought they were love stories. :s

Yea, but your an AC/DC fan right? That’s the exclusionary clause in that provision (despite the gayness of their name).[/quote] It’s a dubious clause since they sing about ‘Big Balls’. :wink: I used to own an abba album. What BFM wrote applies to my musical tastes too. What happens if you own something like one or two Bronski Beat, The Smiths albums and a number of Metallica albums?

The Olivia Newton John is probably due to being made to see Grease too many times.[/quote]

I guess, by this thread, that it means that you’re confused about your sexuality or sexual preference. Or that your bi.

Or maybe it means you have bad taste in music. Maybe that. Or a diverse taste in music. Or you like to switch hit. Or…[/quote] Someone out there must think if they can tell a person is bi by how many REM and Nirvana albums they have in their music collection.

They’re jokes? I thought they were love stories. :s[/quote]
Well, funny you should say that. I was listening to NZ radio online this morning and during the traffic report there was mention of a whole lot of sheep on the loose somewhere.
I thought you’d all appreciate such a unique news item. :raspberry:

Here are the top of the top 500 Virgin Classic songs. It would be tough finding somebody straight based on the list with Queen being inconveniently located at the top.

[quote]1 QUEEN Bohemian Rhapsody
2 DEREK AND THE DOMINOS Layla
3 LED ZEPPELIN Stairway To Heaven
4 DEEP PURPLE Smoke on The Water
5 AC/DC Highway To Hell
[/quote]

"Dear Barnhouse Forum,

I never thought it would happen to me…"

"Dear Barnhouse Forum,

I never thought it would happen to me…"[/quote]