Gay Music?

They’re jokes? I thought they were love stories. :s[/quote]
"Dear Barnhouse Forum,

I never thought it would happen to me…"[/quote]

I’m changing my avatar so people won’t think that I like sheep. :smiley:[/quote]

At least not the girl sheep.

Ooops, can I say that? :saywhat:

Let’s end the speculation once and for all. Is Moz, the Mozzer, the Mozfather, the Pope of Mope…is Morrissey gay or what?

Speculation? What’s there to speculate about?

It was 1987 and my heart broke when I heard him say so in an interview :cry:

Being 14, confused and in love with a gay man is not as fun as sitcom writers would have you think.

[quote=“tash”]
Being 14, confused and in love with a gay man is not as fun as sitcom writers would have you think.[/quote]

I can add a ray of sunshine to your life. :smiley:

Jeez, and here was me thinking that East European sitcoms were dry and conservative! :laughing:

Would a straight man sing like that?

I want to sincerely apologize to any gay forumosans who are offended by this thread. It wasn’t meant as gay-bashing at all. It was meant as a simple, innocent, light-hearted attempt at humor and I didn’t mean to cause any offense.

I’m hardly the first to comment that a large proportion of the fans of Liza Minelli and other stars are gay. Many homosexuals have surely commented on and joked about the same. I agree with the comment early in this thread that homosexuality is obviously just a sexual preference and it doesn’t mean one will be limp wristed, have a lisp or be a fan of Liza.

BUT, certain artists and musicians do attract largely gay fans. Is it really offensive to point that, to question why that might be, or to poke light-hearted fun at someone for the implications of his music collection? Isn’t that a little overly sensitive. . . or not? And, aside from the lame humor aspect, I feel there could be potential for legitimate discussion on the subject as in the following article:

[quote]Advocacy or Economics: The Gay Rights Movement in the Film and Music Industries

This year alone there are seven different gay related shows I can think of on TV; there are more openly gay actors in Hollywood then ever before . . . and music has begun to open up to the idea of gay artists, with music videos insinuating gay relationships. . .

There have been gay artists, like Eddie Mercury, Liberace and Elton John. But until the ‘80s, public discussion of artists’ homosexuality rarely took place. Take, for example, this excerpt from a 1954 newsmagazine article on Liberace:

Liberace is playing to packed houses, but there is only a sprinkling of men in the audience, and most of them look very uncomfortable. Men look at Liberace and what they see makes them uneasy. They find his dimples too perky, his hair too wavy, and his personality too soft. [T]he phrase “feminine appeal” is often used to describe him… but rarely the word “sexy.” his name has never been linked with any woman… except his mother… and the chances are he’ll keep it that way. (Inside Magazine 1954)

Talk of sexual preference at that time was considered taboo (as it somewhat is now). With both Liberace and Mercury, such talk was left to the tabloids. Rumours and gossip about the two artists continue even today. . .

You can have gay movies, gay actors, gay TV shows, and gay print, but until very recently there has been no gay music. . . .the music business has created departments to promote black music, Latino music, world music, and a myriad of other genres, gay music is conspicuously absent".

The last five years have changed this with the impact the gay movement has started to make on the homophobic industries. GLAAD (Gay and Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation) constantly attacks rappers and their lyrics, which often discriminate against homosexuals.

But are rappers really that homophobic? According to Caushun, an openly gay Canadian hip-hop artist, no.

I’ve found out that in spending time with straight rappers, they’re not as narrow minded as their images my imply