Gecko's repellent

I know everyone in Taiwan LOVES geckos, because they’re eating bugs… but over 6 years I still haven’t managed to conquer my fear of those…

I was so far lucky enough to rent places that were gecko-free, but I moved now and even it’s 14th floor (I thought I’m safe from 5th floor up) there are there!!! Last weekend thx god my boyfriend was home to save me from the dragon, but I am now always worried one will “jump out” when I go into a room or turn lights on.

So please… cut the “geckos are cute/fun/helpful” and let me know if you know any repellents or methods to keep them away from my apartment.
:cry:

where can I get geckos? I take yours… they need to eat the bloody roaches…

assuming they have ways of getting in and out of your place, then you can drive them out with bleach or tooth paste on routes of those Geckos, usually on the corners of rooms. but even if you do get them out, you better find how they got there in the first place, and seal it up.

Just don’t get those gecko traps that kill them.
I put as many as I can find in my bedroom as they are the most effective way of getting rid of mosquitos I have found. Way better than all the chemical repellants!

Adopt a cat. She will drive the geckos away.

and put dead roaches by your bed room door.

Sigh… I have a cat… Not helpful at all, he just watches.

I think they get in under the front door but not sure how to seal that, as it would most likely block the door some way. Also , we have the kind of boards ceiling that creates space between the concrete roof and I can hear the geckos sound from there sometimes. Our hallway has same ceiling and wonder if they get in through some holes for pipes etc. in there…

I can try bleach but only outside as I worry my cat would get poisoned with it.

Thanks for all suggestions anyway! I hope they will feel unwelcome and go to all the rest of ppl who loves them

Actually, there is a stick on barrier, very simple to put on, that they sell in what used to be B&Q//Hola combo. You can cut it to the size of your door and it prevents vermin of all kind -in my case, roaches- from entering the premises through the door. Does not interfere with opening of the door when you put it on correctly, and since even Icon could do it, you can do it. Totally DIY and cheap.

No bleach! Yes, you are right, the cat will be in danger. And I have 4 cats, so cat as gecko repellent… mmm… not working.

Let me ask a couple of experts.

not really. my cat keeps the cockroaches at bay, but she seems at a loss with the Geckos.

Was wondering about some kind of sticky tape… But won’t they stick to it for good and die? Would I have to clean them ? I have B and Q close , will check ! Thanks!

not really. my cat keeps the cockroaches at bay, but she seems at a loss with the Geckos.[/quote]

I guess it depends on the cat. When I found my cat’s secret treasure cove, there were teo distinct piles of dead bodies: on for cockroaches (many) and one for geckos and other lizards (few).

[quote=“Icon”]Actually, there is a stick on barrier, very simple to put on, that they sell in what used to be B&Q//Hola combo. You can cut it to the size of your door and it prevents vermin of all kind -in my case, roaches- from entering the premises through the door. Does not interfere with opening of the door when you put it on correctly, and since even Icon could do it, you can do it. Totally DIY and cheap.

No bleach! Yes, you are right, the cat will be in danger. And I have 4 cats, so cat as gecko repellent… mmm… not working.

Let me ask a couple of experts.[/quote]

Went to B&Q today and they said they don’t have anything especially for geckos. They had some kind of tape mostly labeled for mice, but my bf keeps saying it’s not it. :unamused: Can you possibly tell me how the package looks?

I remember once a gecko got caught in a glue cockroach trap I had. This may sound silly but the look of fear in the little thing’s eyes was very real; I still remember it. It took me like a half hour to gently work it off there with warm water.

One person’s vermin is another’s pet–I have decidedly less sympathy for the roaches :smiling_imp: but anyway I never used one of those again.

[quote=“mukashi”][quote=“Icon”]Actually, there is a stick on barrier, very simple to put on, that they sell in what used to be B&Q//Hola combo. You can cut it to the size of your door and it prevents vermin of all kind -in my case, roaches- from entering the premises through the door. Does not interfere with opening of the door when you put it on correctly, and since even Icon could do it, you can do it. Totally DIY and cheap.

Went to B&Q today and they said they don’t have anything especially for geckos. They had some kind of tape mostly labeled for mice, but my bf keeps saying it’s not it. :unamused: Can you possibly tell me how the package looks?[/quote]

It is not a tape for geckos, dear! It is a door stopper. It seals the door, not the geckos! That way, nothing gets in, geckos or roaches, spiders or snakes, from that gap on the bottom. It sticks to the door, but nothing will stick to it. It works like the seal on your fridge.

I’ll take a picture of mine. Sorry if my English was not clear enough. Me no Native speaker.

Please do not tape the geckos. I do not think they have stuff like roach motels for them, but it will not be nice when they get trapped. Ask people here who put the glue traps for rats what happens. You will like it even less than the gecko.

I’ll go to Taichung. I’ll take Bobby with me. he’ll hunt them down. Then we put the seal and you’ll be safe.

[quote=“Icon”][quote=“mukashi”][quote=“Icon”]Actually, there is a stick on barrier, very simple to put on, that they sell in what used to be B&Q//Hola combo. You can cut it to the size of your door and it prevents vermin of all kind -in my case, roaches- from entering the premises through the door. Does not interfere with opening of the door when you put it on correctly, and since even Icon could do it, you can do it. Totally DIY and cheap.

Went to B&Q today and they said they don’t have anything especially for geckos. They had some kind of tape mostly labeled for mice, but my bf keeps saying it’s not it. :unamused: Can you possibly tell me how the package looks?[/quote]

It is not a tape for geckos, dear! It is a door stopper. It seals the door, not the geckos! That way, nothing gets in, geckos or roaches, spiders or snakes, from that gap on the bottom. It sticks to the door, but nothing will stick to it. It works like the seal on your fridge.

I’ll take a picture of mine. Sorry if my English was not clear enough. Me no Native speaker.

Please do not tape the geckos. I do not think they have stuff like roach motels for them, but it will not be nice when they get trapped. Ask people here who put the glue traps for rats what happens. You will like it even less than the gecko.

I’ll go to Taichung. I’ll take Bobby with me. he’ll hunt them down. Then we put the seal and you’ll be safe.[/quote]

I hope Bobby is your cat :smiley: And me no native speaker either :smiley:

Oh ok, door sealer makes some sense. The good news is (and I hope it won;t change) that I haven’t seen one in 3 days, tho I’ve heard one. I hope they will realize ASAP that this place has new people in, so they need to change their address and let me deal with the bugs myself.

Generally, all traps-like solutions are not my fav, so I’ve asked for “repellent”. Don’t wanna kill them because 1) killing is wrong, 2) I don’t want to deal with the bodies. Like, why they can’t hate lavender? I could gladly put lavender all around my place~

Bobby is my Maltese dog, he’s a great hunter. My cats are, well, sophisticated. their refined palate and upper crust upbringing prevents them from chasing anything under chicken weight -I mean cooked chicken, they can’t stand canned tuna.

Camera has no batteries, this may take a while…

[quote=“mukashi”]
I hope Bobby is your cat :smiley: [/quote]

As opposed to a huge, highly trained, aboriginal hitman codenamed “B.O.B.B.Y.”?

So, yesterday we moved to the bigger bedroom at last, and when we moved the old bed there, I found lots of geckos’ poop on the floor. It looks like mouse poop, but it can also be found high on the wall (so unless there are spidermice …). Not happy that there’s gecko poop all around :confused: just that is enough reason for me to want them out (even if I thought them to be cute).

Also, when sleeping I could hear one gecko near window/bed, to which I owe a night of shallow and anxious sleep in the middle of bed (so I’m away from the wall/window).

My boyfriend found some Taiwanese forums that suggest using 5% bleach and water mix and spray the wall with it. I’m not happy with it, but I guess my cat won’t try to lick a wall, just in case we do only higher parts first. Hope it will work and work quickly.

The cat will lick the wall. If you do so, keep the place closed for a couple of days.

Just clean throughly and try to find out where they are coming in from and try to close that entrance. 14th floor they had better fly!

as I said, don’t use the sticky traps as they will kill them.