Getting a driver's license vs getting a scooter license

its not on their website but in the app it says that in the first step of signup

Nope. I do not see why you should when there’s reciprocity. Unless that specific state/country agreement says you need to.

1 Like

You can 100% just use a car license, here’s GoShare’s support site that says you can ride the Gogoro VIVA with a car or light motorcycle license.

Once you get the license, just use it to sign up. They’ll accept it. If they don’t, point them to their own website where it says you can.

2 Likes

It’s a shame too cause WeMo is only available in Taipei.

Not sure about iRent since the app is all in chinese…

They didn’t make me hand in my TX license when I did mine several years ago, but I think this is a YMMV situation depending on who you get. I’ve known a couple people where they did need to hand it over (TX included) a quite a few where they didn’t (various states).

If you have someone back home you can send to, you can change your address and have a replacement sent by mail in most cases for TX (I did this when I thought I lost mine once). Or, just visit the DMV directly to get it back the next time you are there.

2 Likes

You have to message the customer service on goshare. They have to approve your arc. Not sure about aprc but I’m assuming the same. If you leave the bike and still want it lock it on your phone then unlock when you come back. Otherwise click end trip on your phone.

Couple quick questions:

1. Do I need a permanent TW mailing address to get a license? I don’t have one yet. (nm, seems I don’t)
  2. Will they take the required photos, or if not where should I go for that?
  3. AIT says they don’t provide any storage for mobile phones or other disallowed items, but someone mentioned checking their phone with them. Can I definitely check my phone? Might need it for directions.

Thanks

EDIT:
wow, next available appointment is June 22.
Funny that the appointment is done through the Dept of State website

You’re saying you don’t have a permanent Taiwan address, what’s the address on your ARC?

On the card itself? It doesn’t list one. I’ve never given any Taiwanese address on any form

But on the DMV website it says ARC + no address is acceptable

You have to report your permanent address within 15 days. They will need to reissue the ARC.

1 Like

How does that work? does it also apply for scooter?

I heard the UK is doing a similar thing so brits could be able to do the same soon?

Personally i find it kind of dumb that those apps stopped letting people with an overseas license not rent a 50cc. Driving a car in taiwan is way more of a challenge due to the space, i know scooters are more likely to be hit but i feel like if you passed your test in the uk, a taiwan scooter test is not going to equip you any better safety wise to ride a scooter.

I am 99.99% sure that no matter what kind of overseas motorcycle license you have, you have to take the local written/road test.

Do not be too intimidated by the on road scooter rules. Just follow what everyone else is doing in terms of how to make turns and you will get used to it.

No, you are not required to ‘surrender your license’ in order to acquire any driving license in Taiwan. It may have been that whoever did that met a clerk who was unfamiliar with the law, or just took a best guess, but it is not a requirement.

Again, this depends on the agreement with the respective country. Germany, Canada, Ireland, Italy, … and also some US states (West Virginia, Vermont, Minnesota, …) seem to require it. Just search for “surrender” in the linked PDFs.

2 Likes

The only link I saw was a list of countries, including states in the US, who grant licenses according to their reciprocity agreement. Reciprocity does not include a license exchange or license surrender. You need to provide an AIT-authentication of your license - a license in a reciprocating country, or US state in this case - in the process, but you keep your license. Taiwan DL people get your $50USD (?) authenticated copy,

Yes, it does include surrender - at least for some countries / states!
In Europe, for example, it’s often illegal to have a EU driver’s license and a driver’s license from another country.

Check the PDF:

3 Likes

Thanks for looking that up qwertyuiop… youdaman!

My reply was to kurupted, who is from the US, where indeed there are 9 states so restricted.

As penance…

There are several states for which Taiwan has mandated license surrender in order to convert that states’ license into a Taiwanese Driving license. From the afore-linked list, these 9 US states are:

West Virginia, Vermont, Minnesota, Oregon, Massachusetts, Oklahoma, Iowa, New Mexico and Rhode Island.

1 Like

I was able to reschedule my appointment at AIT to June 8, so I’ll try and do everything I need to do that day. Looks like this is everything I need:

• Passport and US license
  • Photocopy of passport (I think I can do this at 7-11?)
  • Photocopy of license, front and back
  • ARC and photocopy
  • Form at AIT for notarization
  • Health certificate
  • Photos

Where do I get photos at?
Can anyone confirm that AIT will let you check your phone with security even tho their website says you can’t?
I thought I read that you need an appointment at the DMV, but maybe that was just for scooters? I don’t see anything on their site about making an appointment.

Thanks!

You take photos in a shop around the DMV. $200 NTD. Usually at the same shop where you get the health certificate.
AIT will let you check your phone for appointment confirmation at the gate. But you will be surrendering your phone at the x-ray after the gate.
You don’t need appointment. Appointment are for exams or driving tests. I advise you to visit the DMV and confirm the list of things you need. They will have a checklist and even tell you which shop to go. All forms will be provided on the spot.

1 Like

You can Google Fujifilm or Kodak photo centers. I took my passport pictures awhile ago and the photo center gave me a mini-disc to save my head shots. Luckily, I haven’t changed much since then and keep using the same ones.

To save paper, I showed the AIT guard my appointment via the confirmation e-mail. He had no issues with it. Last time I went, I did not have to surrender my phone at x-ray. Despite no one enforcing the rule, I still refrained from using it while waiting in line as it is prohibited.

For the DMV, make sure you ask them what you need. I remember the picture size is smaller from what AIT requests!

1 Like