Getting BBQ Sauce for your Chicken Nuggets at McDonalds in Taiwan

My absolute favorite sauce to dip chicken nuggets in is barbecue sauce. Since coming to Taiwan, I was ired to find out that the only dipping sauce choices at McDonalds are ketchup and sweet and sour. Well, recently it occurred to me that #3 on the menu is a barbecue grilled chicken sandwich, and upon ordering it was pleasantly surprised to find that this was my much yearned for BBQ sauce.

A couple of days ago I visited a McDonalds, ordered some nuggets and asked the 店員 if I could have some barbecue sauce for my nuggies. He said that they don’t have it. I pointed out the fact that there is barbecue sauce on the #3, so they must have it, and I expressed my great desire to dip some delicious, golden, crispy, fried McDonalds proprietary chicken nuggets into that sauce. He thought for a moment and, after going to ask who I presume was his manager, told me that they could put some in a to-go cup for me.

After pretending to forget, my reminding them, and a bit of confusion as to the best way to package the sauce, I finally had in my hand a 10-count nugget and some barbecue sauce.

Does anyone else have any related experience with this? Should we start a petition so I don’t have to go through this process each time I visit a McDonalds?

3 Likes

It can be challenging to adapt to the cuisine of a new country, but it’s sometimes necessary - maybe give your tastebuds a bit more chance to get used to the McNuggets with ketchup?

You never know, it could prove an exciting opportunity to immerse yourself in the local culture.

2 Likes

What I’d really like to do is “immerse” my chicken nuggies in some BBQ sauce

2 Likes

In the US they have like 6 different dipping sauce for chicken nuggets, like this really good wing sauce too. Why doesnt taiwan have them?

2 Likes

Taiwan has BBQ sauce that goes on everything!

Ketchup is not exactly Taiwanese, it’s more US.

1 Like

I have a similar issue with eating fries without mayonnaise. My solution is not as brave as yours - I keep myself well stocked on mayonnaise at home and never eat fries on the premises anymore. I was also thinking about bringing my own mayonnaise when eating out, but obviously, it’s not the most practical thing to carry around…

2 Likes

I’ve known people just do that, carry mayonnaise with them, eating it with everything, everyday, every meal.

But I like some variety, tartar sauce, garlic sauce, basil mayo …

2 Likes

We should really go all out to try and make your stay more comfortable.

2 Likes

The smokey sweetness of barbecue sauce seems to be an already widely sought after flavor in Taiwan. Just look at the proliferation of yakiniku joints. Has McDonalds done proper market research in Taiwan? It almost seems like some sort of sick joke that McDonalds would only offer sweet and sour sauce to an East Asian consumer base. I showed the combination to my Taiwanese friend and she was absolutely stunned, wondering why they wouldnt offer this by default!

McDonald’s Taiwan are terrible - they removed lthe Quarter Pounder and chocolate sundaes from the menu.

I honestly think Big Mac will go next (I never see anyone ordering them)

They serve fried chicken, ergo, they rule.

1 Like

Their mcnugget tastes like what they used to taste like. The mcnugget in the states taste like cardboard.

The fries also taste better than they do in the states. I don’t know what they did there but the fries were soggier and the nugget tasted like cardboard.

Have you ever considered what the reason could be? Or are they doing it just to spite foreigners?

1 Like

Feels that way. :banana:ers.

forgot this was the purity forum!

1 Like

Yeah, eventually we’ll just be left with those awful pork and shrimp burgers. If they get rid of breakfast, I’m rioting.

2 Likes

Burger King is nowhere near as ubiquitous as McDonalds. There’s about 3 in Kaohsiung where I live and until about a year ago there were zero. McD’s is on every corner. But yes, when the choice presents itself BK is preferable.

1 Like

Yes ! But I have been two of them here, and another just opened up in town so maybe four??

Or here, this chain has many locations, inc this one I go once a month
https://www.google.com/maps/place/肯德基+高雄十全店/@22.644896,120.308921,3a,75y,90t/data=!3m8!1e2!3m6!1sAF1QipNI_LMSu4qj9ZkjUP5_6dKNCj432HST88ACT3TE!2e10!3e12!6shttps:%2F%2Flh5.googleusercontent.com%2Fp%2FAF1QipNI_LMSu4qj9ZkjUP5_6dKNCj432HST88ACT3TE%3Dw152-h86-k-no!7i3803!8i2151!4m5!3m4!1s0x346e04f4cbda7879:0xebc72086a7b60cba!8m2!3d22.644896!4d120.308921

Type of oil and regulations kicked in there and not here, maybe.

1 Like

But BL doesn’t make their burgers right in Taiwan. They aren’t flame broiled or if they are, they aren’t done right. No smoke from the flame BBQ makes it just about as lame as McD’s.