Getting Married With Expired ARC and Student ARC

Hi, I am Indonesian. I was a student in Taiwan before. And right now my fiance is working still in Taiwan (he got ARC). He’s Indian. We plan to get married in Taiwan. But the thing is, right now I still have my ARC but it’s expired.

1. Do you think I can get married in Taiwan with just visa-exempt enter or tourist visa?
  2. His ARC is a student ARC because he’s a PhD student with work-permit. Is it still permissible to marry?

If you stayed here as a student on an ARC, and didn’t overstay, I think the expired ARC should be no problem.

If what you mean is to come here to get married and get a new ARC to stay with him, I think you should come with a proper visitor visa that can be switch to an ARC, or you may need a visa run to get a proper visa.

You should try to get a work visa based ARC for yourself.

If you get an ARC based on your (soon to be) husband who is not Taiwanese, you will have no job permit. If your husband is making enough money, then that is not a problem.

What if his visa is a student visa? Because he is actually a PhD student.

What if his visa is a student visa? Because he is actually a PhD student

You can get an ARC as his dependant, but cannot work. If you want yo work, you need your own work permit and ARC.

It would be better you check what kinds of documents you need, and prepare them as much before you leave your country.

This thread tells how to get married in Taiwan.

Other government sites that might be useful.

How does a foreigner renew or apply for an ARC?(Serial No. 0902)

Instructions for Application for Residency Status by Foreign Nationals with Visitor Visas(Serial No. 0915)

Resident Visas for Foreign Spouses of R.O.C.(Taiwan) Citizens Without Household Registration, Foreigners, Hong Kong Resiednts, Macau Residents, or Mainland Chinese Citizens

Marriage Registration

1 Like

Like tando said. The only way for you to work is to get work visa based ARC.

You only have work permit if you marry someone who has Taiwanese nationality.

1 Like

Thank you very much! This is very helpful.