Getting one's gender officially acknowledged

Does anyone know how to -or even went through the process of- getting the gender entry on the ARC or APRC changed?

1 Like

I don’t think you can.

You may need to change the gender on your passport of your home country.

1 Like

Knowing how fast my home country’s offices work, it might be faster to wait for reincarnation…:sob:

But thanks for the answers :slight_smile:

3 Likes

My limited understanding is that Taiwanese nationals can only change their legal gender with proof that they have had bottom/top (for FTM) surgery. Even with that I think it’s very unlikely that they’d change it for a foreigner if your passport doesn’t reflect it though.

2 Likes

Hi everyone, I have an update here. I recently changed my gender on my US passport since it was changed to self-declaration of gender and I was then able to use that to change my ARC gender without any fuss. Well, I have a gold card and the online system doesn’t actually let you edit the gender field, but after contacting the help desk they told me to upload a statement to the “supplementary documents” section or whatever it’s called, and that worked. Note that you will be issued a new ID no., and I assume I’ll have to get my NHI card changed also because of that.

So…it’s possible. I thought they might hold me to the same standard as a Taiwanese citizen but they did not. If you can change your passport you should be fine.

9 Likes

Congratulations! It’s a really special moment when you hold your new ID with everything written black on white on it.

1 Like

I’m going to assume it changes between the 8 and 9 right?

The number is actually completely different, but yes I think it’s the 8/9 in the beginning that indicates gender.

Of course. If just one number was arbitrarily changed, it would fail the checksum.

I guess technically they could just change the first and last digits, if they wanted to? (IIRC how that works.) Probably no easier than just changing the entire number though.

@slawa knows the algo better than I do.

I think it just multiplies all characters by a positional coefficient and sums them, then the last digit is the remainder when divided by 10 or something, similar to ISBN numbers (but with the positional coefficients in opposite order, I believe). Might be wrong though.

1 Like

Right. If you change any of the characters/digits, then the last number will change too.
You can try it out: 🆔 Verify Taiwan ID | Project | slawa.dev

2 Likes

Now they allow gender stickers

4 Likes

I hope the other Cities will follow soon.

If anyone gere from Taipei or Khaohsiung is bored, could they try if it’s also for foreigners possible to obtain these stickers?

2 Likes

I can check at TMU Hospital :blush:
Though I wonder if it’s just going to the counter and asking for it

1 Like

Neither TMUH or Wanfang have them. Yet, my girlfriend asked where you can get the stickers, and they have locations in several cities: 20220118【公告】證件稱謂貼紙,歡迎免費索取&索取地點資訊 | 台灣同志諮詢熱線協會

The bad part is that you need to call to make an appointment. We’ll try getting ours, and I’ll report back how that goes :blush:

4 Likes

We got our stickers today at Café Macho (close to Guting MRT). They have them at the entrance near the postcards next to the outdoor tables. Just ask the staff and you can take them. :blush:

3 Likes

Curious, how big are they? Just wondering where these stickers will fit on an ARC or driving license (which both don’t have much blank space).

1 Like