Getting the 2nd shot in Taiwan for COVID-19 vaccines

Thus far I believe I haven’t seen any information it’s even possible for those in Taipei / New Taipei to get the 2nd AZ vaccine in a local clinic. As far as I’m aware the only people who have done that are further to the south.

The pre-vaccine doctors interview is pretty pointless, and it’s likely bottlenecking the whole process.

Is there some legal reason why we need to do that in Taiwan?

3 Likes

Just got the second jab. Much more efficient process than last time. Only took 45 minutes compared to about two hours for the first.

Arrived about 20 minutes early and there was quite a line that wasn’t distancing at all. I let out a few smoker coughs and folks moved away fairly quick. Also a little bit of congestion around the doctors clinic. However while waiting, an obvious head honcho doc from NTU come storming through with five or so lackeys in close pursuit. He quickly started scolding employees for the lack of social distancing and got a couple of the really old folks to the head of the line. Seemed like a decent guy and everyone listened to him.

Overall good experience. Much better than last time. Mostly first responders and a large group of immigrant workers with a few regulars mixed in. One A-Bei there to get his 2nd AZ jab, all decked out in a triple-layered mask and face shield was begging to get the Moderna as a 2nd jab. Stating mixing it up offers better protection. They were very patient with him, much more than I would have been.

Feels good to get the second one down.

5 Likes

Thanks @cjasonc: so just double-checking, this was at NTUH I suppose?

At MacKay the other day those of us getting the second AZ shot in the now-cancelled self-pay program were off in an entirely different area from the normal vaccine program. I recognized a few people from the first shot ten weeks earlier.

Yes, at a NTUH in Yunlin.

1 Like

Just thinking how many cc per jab?
How many person share in 1 bottle of vaccine?

I understand it’s 10 doses per bottle. I may be wrong.

It’s about 10 doses per bottle but they often include a little extra each bottle as losses do happen and each bottle must provide a minimum of 10 doses per bottle, so most the time they are able to squeeze in an extra person or two per bottle.

1 Like

The COVID-19 vaccination rate breaks 10%, the command center plans to open the second dose for international students

Just to clarify: by “international students,” the authorities mean “students in Taiwan going overseas to study.”

Guy

3 Likes

I booked my 2nd dose.

For people booking online, use the Chinese website (Mackay). It wasn’t working at all through the English website. But when i did it via Chinese, I got my appointment. This Thursday.

There is still a bunch of slots open.

Oh, and ignore the website’s suggestion for date of your birth. The website gives the example of, say, 880101 … don’t do that. Put 19880101. Putting just 88 causes the whole system to reject you for not putting your date of birth properly. When I put 19 before my year of birth, it worked fine.

2 Likes

Two digits is presumably the Taiwanese calendar / year, so the error may have been because it didn’t correspond to their records for your ID number. I suspect if you type 88 they’ll think that’s 1999 (+11, right? I never get that straight). So it’ll be happy with 88 or 1999.

1 Like

As @lostinasia said, the website explicitly suggests to put ROC calendar year, which is printed on your NHI card.

4 Likes

I’ve been trying to book my second dose but I guess I won’t be getting any. Far Eastern hospital won’t let me, and I have not been able to book at NTUH as all their slots are full. So I guess there isn’t enough AZ to go around now.

Are you at ten weeks yet? That seems to be key for many of the online systems. If NTUH slots are full, keep checking by the day as new future slots open up.

This is not factual.

Guy

3 Likes

I guess they will contact you when it will become closer to 10 weeks.

Far Eastern won’t let you book until the Thursday before your 10th week starts. So if your first shot was May 7, then your 70th day will be July 16, which means you can’t book until July 15.

1 Like

Actually I was hoping to get the shot somewhere nearby rather than travel anywhere on the MRT to get it. But the NHI app system is stuck on “preparing” for the last month or so, and therefore there is no way for me to get the shots nearby rather than at the original place I got mine.

Like I said, my western format of the date of birth registered me. I just had to put 19 first. I didn’t use my ROC format at all.