Getting the 2nd shot in Taiwan for COVID-19 vaccines

I think it allows both. If you’re on the Chinese version, it asks for 民國 and two digits. If you’re on the English version, it asks for YYYY. So it’ll accept 65 or 1976 and consider them the same. But if you type 76 and it’s got your birthdate in records as 1976 / 民國65, it’s not going to work.

1 Like

Yes, I understood that. I just pointed out that the website doesn’t suggest to put 88 when your birth year is 1988. It suggests to put 88 when your birth year is 1999.

1 Like

Is it possible you’ve just been consistently entering it wrong since you signed up?

I’ve had a couple of hospitals before where my records weren’t correct because they’d been mistyped by some clerk. For one (in Thailand), I had an extra letter in my surname. For the other (NTUH), I had an extra digit in my passport number. I just rolled with it and relished in the opportunity to live a wild double life.

1 Like

I don’t even know what that means (?), besides being literally the fifth or sixth time I’ve read you claiming that something doesn’t work for you in the last 12 hours.

Are you referring to this app? It seems to be working just fine for me.

Screenshot_20210705_111156

When you log in there is a button saying to book appointment for COVID 19 vaccines. When I click, log in, it says “preparing”.

It sounds like they’re “preparing” then? But I don’t think the NHI app is the only option for people getting second shots? (I haven’t been paying all that much attention to this thread so far as I can’t get mine for a little over another 2 weeks anyway.)

Actually, didn’t you get yours just a week or so before me? Mine was on May 13. Isn’t it just that you’re not eligible yet?

I’m not sure the situation is as dire as you’re suggesting.

1 Like

Eh have you checked if the system has not already automatically given you an appointment? One of my coworkers tried to book his chosen date and the system told him he couldn’t book twice. He looked in the usual appointment schedule and lo and behold there he was.

1 Like

ok, I just tried with Far Eastern again and was able to book an appointment on july 8th. I’m not sure what’s the deal but that is the last day they have spots available. But I’d be on my 9th week at this point.

Just FYI: you are supposed to book week 10 to 12.

2 Likes

They don’t have any slots past the 8th. I don’t know if it’s because they do not have anymore vaccines.

They may be registering week by week. That’s what Far Eastern Hospital is doing. I can’t register until the 15th for my supposed shot on the 16th.

1 Like

Seriously such a bad registration system.
Hand it over to booking.com and they’ll do a proper job.

1 Like

My hospital has week by week on every clinic.

As said, check if you already have an appointment. You already got your first one, you are in the list already.

I did check, I did not have any appointment.

Again, you’re not due to have an appointment until after 10 weeks, like the rest of us. It’s not rocket science. :yawning_face:

1 Like

I wonder if I should cancel, is it even possible to cancel?

You can make an appointment if it is already 8 weeks. If it is not yet 10 weeks, you should show an airplane ticket. Otherwise, your appointment will be canceled.

No idea - NTUH cancelled my original appointment (+8 weeks) for this Thursday with an SMS at the weekend because of the 10 weeks thing.

My understanding is that hospitals are taking the latter pretty strictly, which could mean they might turn you away if you go there after 9 weeks, even if the system let you book an appointment (it seems optimistic to expect a Taiwanese online booking system to enforce the 10 weeks requirement because they would have needed to code it properly to do so, with the date of people’s first appointment being read from the NHI card/hospital system/whatever).

It’s probably worth calling to check, but my guess is they won’t let you get vaccinated after 9 weeks.

Why should it be so hard ? An electronic system is supposed to know that and indicate it there. Heck it should just allow you to book a date after your 10- week window right now.

1 Like

I don’t know man, I don’t develop the systems, just pointing out that they tend not to work very well - I’m agreeing with you.