Getting the 2nd shot in Taiwan for COVID-19 vaccines

some hospitals including far eastern allows 8 weeks if you have an immediate travel schedule.
You should prove it at the site.

2 Likes

I don’t have that. But there’s also no way for me to cancel the appointment and I tried calling, but no one picks up. So I don’t know what to do. Do I just not show up and then book another appointment?

Can’t you cancel it from the appointment check page?

no you can’t. No option to is there.

For Neihu tri-services hospital: the 中文 registration website clearly mentions that the 2nd AZ dose for people who self paid for the first dose in this hospital is available after 10 weeks (70 days). But seems like appointments only 2 days in advance.

三軍總醫院-網路掛號

1 Like

Just received a message from NTUH that they’ve made me an appointment for exactly 10 weeks after my first dose, which is around 2 weeks from now.

(They did try calling me first, but I assumed it was some telemarketing thing and couldn’t be bothered, so hung up on the poor lady a bit too quickly :frowning_face_with_open_mouth:)

5 Likes

maybe. The registration page says you cannot cancel or modify your appointment once you submit the form.

I started using the Whoscall caller ID app recently because of just this kind of event.
The majority of calls I get are selling loans, stock opportunities and real estate. So hung up on several important calls because they had that “spam call” aura in the first 5 seconds.

1 Like

Yeah, I’m not really a fan of phone calls anyway, even in English - usually only pick up when I’m expecting a delivery or something.

In this case, I was a bit distracted and muttered “sorry, I don’t speak Chinese” but she continued with what sounded like a script at machine-gun speed. When she’d finished, I started to tell her I still couldn’t speak Chinese then just suddenly lost interest and hung up (which makes a change - usually they hang up on me!).

1 Like

Did you happen to notice if it was a cell phone or a land line number? I usually don’t even answer unknown cell phone numbers, but may occasionally answer a land line one.

I don’t even know how to tell to be honest? It started 0981 - does that help?

(Actually I notice now that the SMS came from a different number starting 0911, about 40 min later - maybe it was just a telemarketer I hung up on)

1 Like

Writing about Kaohsiung, so please don’t come at me if you live elsewhere and had a different experience. From what I read here, things up north seem to be much smoother.

I strongly suggest calling (or visiting) the hospitals on this list until you find one that has doses available for when you hit the 10 weeks or later. The online booking systems (when available) didn’t work for me. I suspect it’s because of the ARC number, but the error message was a generic template so I can’t confirm this. I got mine at Qishan and a friend got his at E-Da: far away from the city centre but they seemed to have more availability of doses.

Book at the clinics indicated in the map at your own risk, at least for Kaohsiung. For now, they only receive doses according to CECC’s distribution schedule (which they don’t know until the day that they receive the delivery) and not based on how many people booked for theirs. They won’t prioritise second jabs who have hit the 10 weeks, but just go on a first-come-first-served basis. So if 100 eligible people booked their first jab before you, you will be number 101 on the waiting list. This is what I was told.

1 Like

Neihu tri Services has both before and after noon appointments still free for Thursday / Friday. Probably because no moderna at these dates, only 2nd doses AZ.

The website clearly says self paid people can go, but when registering self paid isn’t an option. I chose “have to travel abroad”, will report back if that works ok (unless I can get the jab somewhere else closer, and cancel my appointment on Friday)

https://www2.ndmctsgh.edu.tw/newwebreg/Register/Doctors?pos=B&DeptCode=11A&DeptGroup=4

2 Likes

When the new online booking system opened a day or two ago, my ARC # also didn’t work. The solution was to use the ID # from the NHI card.

2 Likes

I checked China Medical in Taichung (a little more convenient for me), but as far as I could see I wouldn’t be able to register as in the list of groups/people eligible to select from there is no “self-paid” option and I’m not part of any other priority groups…

Let us know how it goes though. Probably better to call and ask about it though.

I’m still waiting for the CDC to announce that people who got their 1st shot after May 9 can start to register.

3 Likes

For 2nd jab, do I go straight to the vax site or do I go and register again first?

At Mackay.

I don’t have any way to cancel my appointment at Far Eastern Hospital and I don’t see any dates for AZ vaccines past today. Makay will not let me register unless I have gotten my first shot there.

I think I just won’t go to the appointment today, because I have no way of proving imminent travel…

It should be to travel abroad for business, study or work, because that was a requirement to get the self-paid 1st shot.

I never had to proove imminent travel for mine. Unless thats a new thing

My 10 week isn’t up yet. Seems you have to prove imminent travel if your 10 week isn’t up (I am at 9 weeks now).

1 Like