Getting the 2nd shot in Taiwan for COVID-19 vaccines

Was there any announcement about the cancellation of that plan specifically? Or any official place to check on that topic?

I went to KMUH yesterday to update my vaccination records with the new ARC number and took the chance to ask about the second jab (mine was supposed to be on 26 June). The reply was similar to what @nadandeo wrote previously. From what I was told, the CDC not only has yet to start the second round of vaccinations, but neither has it finalised when and how the booking will be made. The officers that I talked to mentioned that they also took the vaccine (as health personnel) in April and were also waiting for news.

1 Like

Health workers have been able to get a second shot, I seen the booking system on Tzu Chi’s website earlier when checking for self payers chances.

Given the high percentage of self paid shots being to foreigners I’m confident it isn’t a priority right now.

Yup, a friend of mine that works at a hospital in Changhua got her 2nd shot a week or two ago.

1 Like

Update on 2nd shot! Starting June 23rd can start getting your 2nd shot

EDIT: apparently only if you got your shot from April 12th to May 9th…shit I got mine on the 11th

3 Likes

Did I just hear that second doses of AZ will be available starting June 23?

Oops, a minute late. Thank you!

2 Likes

All I know is from the Twitter thread @lunlan already linked above. I’m hopeful this will happen - but note what I see so far doesn’t necessarily indicate those who were on the self-pay program. These vaccines could just be those who got the first dose because they’re on the priority list.

I believe the first day that self-pay program was available was April 21 (because that’s when I got it!), so I’m not sure what the April 12 to May 9 dates are referring to.

Think mine was May 7th, my wife’s May 10th…missed by a day! If its like the current registration system where it’s first come first served on the website it may be difficult to book the shot.

Good good good (for me, anyway). That’s my window!!

But I’m not counting my chickens…

Cool, I fall within that time period so I can book mine. Now I’ve got the faff of trying to book through Mackay to look forward too. Yay.

Just a guess, but I think it’s for anyone who was given their first dose of AZ in that time period. I think we’re covered here.

1 Like

Hope it’s for real this time. Now to check with the hospitals who probably won’t have a clue as usual.

4 Likes

Today, 6/19 at 15:30, I talked to a CDC representative to verify the report that 2nd dose will be available beginning 6/23 for those who received the 1st dose between 4/12 - 5/09

She said that it is true that they announced 2nd dose registration will be available beginning 6/23 for those who received the 1st dose between 4/12 - 5/09 … however, she could not verify if it includes self-paid doses, as no more details have been released. She said that it might NOT include self-paid 2nd doses … so we need to wait for more details to be announced.

She said that more details should be released before Monday 6/21 … and since the registration will not begin until Wednesday 6/23, we should consult the CDC website for the details on Monday 6/21 (she said the lag time between Chinese and English language announcement on their website is usually about 2 hours)

www.cdc.gov.tw

4 Likes

I guess it should include self paid, 27k already got the 2nd dose, potentially 40k still waiting for the second dose, max 67k waiting for 2nd dose, thanks for the feedback.

1 Like

CNA said people self paid for 1st shot are included.

5 Likes

Here’s the announcement from the CDC website (same general info as above) in English if you need to share it or something.

On June 19, the Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) announced that starting June 23, 2021, it will distribute the AstraZeneca COVID-19 vaccine doses in phases to local departments of health which can then offer a second dose of the vaccine to members of the public who have received their first dose of the vaccine to build protection. The CECC pointed out that after assessing the remaining amount of the vaccine at the moment, it expected that about 67,000 individuals who have received their first dose of the AstraZeneca vaccine can get their second dose between April 12 and May 9.

https://www.cdc.gov.tw/En/Bulletin/Detail/OmHPhgT2AqviyQi2Kt3dvw?typeid=158&fbclid=IwAR1Wx3lueaEVSEXCh81lSCJsKvk51VfkZput0Hu3gP39A9HkoZZwK64w-KA

2 Likes

Hmm, interesting. I wonder if this will even be through the hospitals, or other routes. I’m guessing we’re not going to learn much about the practicalities until at least Monday.

1 Like

Yea we may be able to get at the local centers, which would be great.

1 Like

Do they offer time travel as part of the deal?

2 Likes

The FocusTaiwan article here states that people can start booking their appointment for 2nd shots now if you got the 1st shot before May 9 and that the second shots can start to be administered for people who got the 1st shot between April 12 and May 9 starting on June 23.

So if you fall into this time period try registering tomorrow (Sunday) and see if you can get a slot.

Also lists the the # of people fully vaccinated. ~27,000 people

1 Like