Getting the 2nd shot in Taiwan for COVID-19 vaccines

What are the key words in Chinese I need to be able to ask a clinic by phone if they are providing the Covid vaccine 2nd jab?

I speak enough Chinese to to ask for an appointment, and Google tells me vaccine is 疫苗; I’m not sure if there’s any Chinese translation for Covid; and I want to be sure they understand I mean the follow up to the self-pay 1st jab, so they don’t think I mean I’m looking for a 1st time injection on the other priority criteria.

1 Like

Why not just try google translate or check Wikipedia?

My experience is that what you find from those online sources isn’t necessarily what is commonly used in actual conversation, and that if you deviate from what people expect to hear, they will usually assume you mean something else.

And sometimes new or scientific terms are more easily understood or more commonly spoken in English than whatever translation you might find online.

3 Likes

Try 新冠肺炎 or Covid-19 (in English). Both are currently being used.

2 Likes

Is it open for everyone or only those who were originally in a high priority group and not a self payer?!

2 Likes

this is said no where in the image, iiuc.

1 Like

Yep, clear as mud. It specifically says appointments are not available for self payers but given that self payers are now apparently not required to pay admin fees are we still self payers?!

2 Likes

CECC said their 2nd shots are public paid.

7 Likes

Well, just called 1999 in Danshui and got some … useful? … info. The (friendly and overly apologetic about her English and definitely trying her best!) woman who eventually spoke to me had halting English so there was lots of room for miscommunication. I was on hold for at most two minutes, so that was good.

Short version: nothing yet in New Taipei City. Try again “in a few days” or in July.

Longer version: I do not know if this information is specific to Danshui, or all of New Taipei City, or theoretically all of Taiwan, or is just totally wrong anyway.

• According to her, those seeking the second dose can’t get it now. It’s just for categories #1-3.
  • There were initial questions about my job. I don’t know what was going on there. I think there’s stuff behind the scenes with teachers being placed in the queue.
  • Vaccines haven’t yet been delivered to New Taipei City: maybe after a few days, then the CDC will have delivered them, and then information will be “on the news.” She may have said that information will also be posted be on the website listed below, but I fear my questions were too leading about that. (Reminder to self: yes/no questions are often a bad idea in such conversations. “Yes, sure, that! I don’t know what I just agreed to!”)
  • As well as in “a few days”, I was told to call again after July 1st. (Spoiler: I am not going to wait that long.)
  • Useful website for New Taipei City: 新北市政府衛生局. (EDIT one day later: this link seems to not work before 9am or so) It lists all the different health centers with phone numbers, addresses, and appointment availability. First tab is health centers; second tab is medical institutions (i.e. hospitals); third tab is vaccination station addresses. All in Chinese, but I hope most of us can at least manage addresses.
  • You can click the links on that site to make reservations, IF you fit the correct categories (currently all elderly, or categories 1-5). Appointments only seem to be available one or two days ahead - there’s nothing listed for even June 24 yet (I’m typing this late afternoon of June 22).

Side point: “Press 0 for English” is just like those garbage cans where there’s one container, but two separate holes labelled recycling and garbage, both feeding into the same place. I’m not sure if pressing the number for English has ever led me to someone who actually speaks English. They always have to forward me on to someone else.

5 Likes

It’s very confusing , and some hospitals are giving unclear info or just bullshit they randomly made up.

Some saying it’s not for regular travellers others bring a business card bullshit,some websites not saying which vaccine they have clearly. All the requirements all mixed up. Nobody answering phones. Some said go to your original hospital but actually it should be possible to book at local health centers also.

However I believe everybody is entitled to a free second shot now and you just bring your yellow card and it should be smooth sailing because the central govt explicitly instructed all first AZ doses to get the second dose now. If they argue show them the central govt announcement and your existing yellow card.

But let’s see tomorrow. :sunglasses:

Contact the local weishengshu and they will usually get back to you.

Fu Jen is open for people who got the 1st shot before Apr 14.

People who got it at Far Eastern must have had a message from them for tomorrow’s 2nd shot.

Some hospitals open their online appointment for the next day, at 16:00.

3 Likes

Well, it is not every clinic that’s involved in vaccinating. I put the link to the official health centers in Taipei where they usually vaccinate.

If you do not live in Taipei, which location is more convenient/closer to you.

CDC also has lists of hospitals and health centers doing vaccines with links to their online appointment sites. It seems temporal locations and small clinics are not necessary listed there.

I never gotten any message from Far Eastern…

Then, I may confused with some other hospital.

Far Eastern’s website tells about their plan for 2nd shot, with a clause that it is still a plan and can be changed.
Tomorrow morning is for people who got 1st shots between Mar 31 and Apr. 16 at Far Eastern.

1 Like

Good analogy haha. :laughing:

Although there’s also another couple of situations worth noting, where “Press x for English” takes you to either (i) a big neglected answering machine in the sky that nobody ever checks or (ii) prolonged ringing followed by automatic disconnection.

5 Likes

Taipei city government announced people who got 1st shots 10 weeks ago can get 2nd shots from tomorrow. With vaccine card and NHI card.

4 Likes

Chen, who also heads the CECC, said people who have already received their first vaccine dose, whether the AstraZeneca or Moderna vaccine, will also be able to get their second jab of the same vaccine starting July 1.

So much contradicting and incomplete information :roll_eyes:

3 Likes

Interestingly, this 10-week gap means none of “us” (meaning the self pay program) would be included yet. I believe the earliest ten weeks happens is June 30: really close to the July 1 date in other news items.

1 Like

Yes … first self-paid AZ doses were given on 04/21, so the first 10-12 week period for self-paid AZ 2nd doses would begin 06/30

I got my first self-paid AZ vaccination on 04/22, so I do not expect to be able to schedule a 2nd dose appointment until 07/01 … but I hope tomorrow morning (06/23) I can register for and schedule that 07/01 appointment

My Chinese language is terrible … but it seems to me that some people are confusing “registration” dates with “administration” dates … this confusion could be happening when originally spoken/written in Chinese and/or in translation to English … but it seems that every official source and person that I have consulted has said the same thing when I questioned for the details …

REGISTRATION for self-paid 2nd doses may begin on 06/23 … but appointments for ADMINISTRATION of self-paid 2nd doses must be scheduled during the 10-12 week period following the self-paid 1st dose

for example:
I got my self-paid 1st dose AZ on 04/23 …

so, on 06/23, I may be able to REGISTER and schedule an appointment for my self-paid 2nd dose AZ …

but my appointment for the ADMINISTRATION of the self-paid 2nd dose AZ must be in the 10-12 week window, 07/01-07/14

4 Likes