Getting the 2nd shot in Taiwan for COVID-19 vaccines

And yes we have our appointments tomorrow to get the doses. Let’s see.

3 Likes

Some vaccination sites and districts may be following different protocols (which can and does happen here) and I hope it works out and you get your self-paid 2nd dose on 06/23

but just be prepared for the possibility that when you arrive and check-in, someone looks at your yellow vaccination record and then informs you that that it was a mistake, and you need to re-schedule and come back after 06/30

3 Likes

So do we and the hospital phoned us to make the appointment. maybe we will get the run around tomorrow but it’s been pretty straight forward up to now.

3 Likes

I really hope it works out for you

… for my 1st self-paid AZ dose, I called the hospital on the day before registration was supposed to begin to ask questions, and a well-meaning nurse thought she was helping me when she allowed me to register and schedule my appointment during that phone call

… fortunately, I called to confirm my appointment during the first day of registration, and another nurse informed me that my appointment was scheduled in the wrong COVID clinic, and fortunately, it was not too late for me to get re-scheduled into the correct clinic.

As it turns out, the first nurse didn’t know the hospital was creating a brand new clinic number for self-paid AZ doses (even though they had announced that they would be using the old clinic number to staff) … if I had not called to confirm, and if the second nurse hadn’t caught that simple error, I would not have gotten my 1st dose AZ vaccination in the first week of self-paid AZ.

But the comedy of errors continued … the hospital scheduling system contained both the canceled appointment in the wrong clinic AND the re-scheduled appointment in the correct clinic.

When I arrived at the hospital for the 1st self-paid AZ, at the correct building … the staff at building check-in told me I was in the wrong building … and I had to convince her to look at the hospital app in my cell-phone to get her to look more carefully at her computer and see that I was in the right place …

Then, when I went down the hall to the correct clinic for the clinic check-in, the nurse there told me I was at the wrong clinic … and I had to convince her to look at the hospital app on my cell phone to get her to look more carefully at her computer and see that I was in the right place

If I had not had a calm and persistent response with those two hospital staff, I would have missed my scheduled appointment for the 1st self-paid AZ

5 Likes

Yeah that’d basically be my guess for what’s currently going on, except for the people in the forum who have appointments for today!

Plus inconsistency from region to region. If I can make an appointment today for one week from now, I’m happy enough with that, but the New Taipei City site I linked above only allows appointments one day in advance.

1 Like

Digging into what’s going on at Far Eastern Hospital (which is New Taipei City, right, not Taipei City?): link below is their announcement from yesterday. The policy seems to correspond to what @nadandeo said above, about being able to make a reservation today, but the appointment can’t be until next week.

If I (well, Google Translate) is getting it right: you can book today for next week, but only if you got the first dose at Far Eastern. (“But what about me?!”: Taipei City MacKay currently has no AZ, apparently.) For the earliest on the self-pay program - i.e. April 21st - the earliest second dose will be Friday July 2.

Here’s what seems to be the relevant Chinese (apologies if I’m getting this totally wrong!):

1. 5/9前於亞東醫院施打第一劑AZ疫苗 之民眾可於6/23起,分時段預約施打第二劑AZ疫苗。
    (1)第一劑在亞東醫院施打AZ疫苗者施打日期: 3/31-4/16 ,預計第二劑施打日期: 6月23日(三)08:00-12:00一樓大廳
    (2)第一劑在亞東醫院施打AZ疫苗者施打日期: 4/19-4/23 ,預計第二劑最早施打日期: 7月2日(五)08:00-12:00,將於官網公告可預約時間
    (3)第一劑在亞東醫院施打AZ疫苗者施打日期:4/26-4/30,預計第二劑最早施打日期: 7月9日(五)08:00-17:00,將於官網公告可預約時間
    (4)第一劑在亞東醫院施打AZ疫苗者施打日期: 5/3-5/8 ,預計第二劑最早施打日期: 7月16日(五)08:00-17:00,將於亞東官網公告可預約時間

註:第二劑接種為預計規劃,仍以中央疫苗配發情況調整施打作業。

• 依據新北市政府衛生局提供之疫苗數量,開放網路預約名額。

https://www.femh.org.tw/research/news_detail.aspx?NewsNo=13649&Class=0

All a bit of a shitshow, isn’t it.

3 Likes

Unsure. The communication into English certainly isn’t being done very well. I don’t know enough to say how the communication is in Chinese.

Rather than forcing people to check info on hospital websites and call around, why not just use Audrey Tang’s reservation system?

She said it was ready to go 2 weeks ago:

2 Likes

Same in Chinese .
Also not helped by all their priority groups and disjointed systems.

1 Like

Question:

Is that appointment the one previously set at 8 weeks?

They said eight weeks can do it on their system.
But they don’t answer their telephones.
They also only have two booking slots a week. It’s weird. May find out later.

Let us know. I know people in your same situation. Basically, it is still wait and see.

Just please be patient with the staff.

I spoke to Mackay. They are getting their jabs later today, BUT, the booking system isn’t going to go online until next week, so I was told to call back then.

3 Likes

Called NTUH this morning.
Transferred me to International Medicine area where they are set up for vaccinations.
They now say that THEY will set up the 2nd shot appointments for all of us that got 1st shots at NTUH and I should check their system to see it… later.
They were quite anxious to get rid of me, so no info on when they will be done creating the appointments and if they they will be made at 10 week interval from 1st, 12 weeks or ?

3 Likes

called NTUH today, 06/23 morning, staff informed me that their online system was not functioning for COVID vaccines anyone, including priority levels … technicians were trying to solve the problem, and they did not know when it would be open

called TMUH, they said they are specifically registering foreigners for COVID vaccine clinic today, but ONLY priority (elderly and pregnant) … and they are still waiting for government to notify them and deliver the vaccine for 2nd doses … they will open registration only after they receive the vaccines

called 1999, English service was busy, got call back 15 minutes later, staff was surprised that hospitals were having problems … he gave me the number for a local clinic nearest to my home … called the local clinic and they were not yet aware that they would be receiving vaccines at all

finally, called 1922, told them know what we all have been experiencing … representative was not surprised because it was like he told me a few days ago … today is the first day of the process of government notifying clinics how much vaccine they will get and beginning the delivery of the vaccines … and not surprised that some websites weren’t working yet on the first day …

6 Likes

There is already a platform on NTUH site where you should choose 1st shot or 2nd shot, though it says it is not opened yet.

2 Likes

Not sure if this is gospel truth, but I’m quoting from another thread about how we’re supposed to go back to our original hospital. This was just an aside in the main post, so I wouldn’t call it an authoritative declaration.

So, how many times per day should I refresh MacKay’s page? How many times will I refresh it? Here’s what @The_Ghost said above for their experience today with MacKay:

I suppose what we should keep in mind is that those who were in the self-pay system probably aren’t much more than a rounding error in the overall vaccine rollout.

Taiwan’s population too is a rounding error for global vaccine distribution. That’s why companies like BNT don’t care.

It’s not too small, 57th out of 235.