Ghost month, here we go ... what not to do!

As long time residents we know that each year people get victimized by the ghosts, so here’s some advice to avoid being caught:

The following are the top 10 tips on how to avoid committing a phantasmic faux pas during Ghost Month in Taiwan:

10. Do not sit in the front row of Gezaixi shows

It is thought that hungry ghosts pursue many hobbies they had in life, such as watching Gezaixi (歌仔戲,Taiwanese opera) shows. Therefore, the first row is reserved for spectral spectators during Ghost Month and it is highly bad form to take their seats.

9. Do not lean against the wall

Ghosts are thought to stick on walls because they find them cooler during the summer heat, or that they are attracted to their yin energy, either way, people are admonished not to lean against them to avoid making the ghouls’ work too easy.

8. Do not take the last bus

It is believed that the early morning hours after midnight are the strongest in yin energy, and therefore it is advisable to avoid taking the last bus of the night to avoid being taken away by a phantom driver.

7. Do not go out alone at night

After sunset, wandering ghosts seek out living hosts that they can possess. For this reason, Taiwanese try to avoid going out alone at night during this period, especially young adults and children, because they are considered particularly vulnerable.

6. Do not buy house, car or other major purchase

Many Taiwanese avoid buying and moving into houses during Ghost Month as it is considered highly unlucky and they could end up with a haunted a house and ghastly roommates. Other major transactions of money such as car purchases and business deals are strictly shunned during this period.

5. If patted on the shoulder, do not look back

The living are believed to have a protective invisible flame that emanates from either shoulder, and thus when one suddenly turns their head to look back, that protective flame is snuffed out. Apparently, ghouls with guile will pat their victims on the back hoping they will suddenly turn their head, making them vulnerable to attack. The solution is to turn the whole body at once instead of just the head.

4. Do not whistle, particularly in the dark

Taiwanese have fear of whistling in general because they believe it attracts evil spirits that will follow them around and bring misfortune. It is believed that this effect is magnified during Ghost Month, particularly at night.

3. Do not hang clothes to dry outside at night

There are two schools of thought on why hanging clothes on the balcony late at night is bad during Ghost Month. One theory states that hungry ghosts are cold from suffering in the desolate underworld and they seek warmth by putting on the clothes. The other, more sinister rationale is that evil spirits will wear the clothes of the living to enable them sneak into their homes and do bad deeds.

2. Call them “good brothers,” not "ghosts"

Actually talking about ghosts out loud, especially at night is thought to draw their attention and bring bad luck. Therefore, the more polite way to speak of members of the spirit world that wander during this period is “good brothers.” It shows them a degree of respect and hopefully encourages them to behave in a “brotherly” fashion.

1. Do not go swimming

This by far the best known and most feared taboo as it is believed that evil spirits who had drowned lick their chops at the chance of drowning a swimmer to gain an opportunity at rebirth. Taiwanese stay away from beaches and swimming pools in droves throughout Ghost Month.

By the same token, it is also considered highly dangerous to take a shower after midnight because evil spirits are more emboldened by the combination of water and the late hour.

5 Likes

whoa !! That is a K-Man piece

3 Likes

do not scooter through dark tunnels (like HsinHai Tunnel in MuCha) late late at night when no other vehicles are around. That’s when the ghosts appear crossing the roads, or so I’ve read. :grinning:

10. Do not sit in the front row of Gezaixi shows
-> I won’t do it, not now not any other time. Won’t even get close to that aberration
9. Do not lean against the wall
-> That depends on what wall they are talking about. If it’s my wall I will fuck it, I mean lean on it if I want
8. Do not take the last bus
-> I will take the last MRT then
7. Do not go out alone at night
-> You come with me then
6. Do not buy house, car or other major purchase
-> Damn. Now that I finally had all the money needed for buying a house!
5. If patted on the shoulder, do not look back
-> I will fart instead
4. Do not whistle, particularly in the dark
-> So I don’t scare pussies. I guess I will have fun just patting on people’s shoulders
3. Do not hang clothes to dry outside at night
-> I just did it yesterday night. Nothing happened. Still a bit wet though…
2. Call them “good brothers,” not "ghosts"
-> Weird people these Taiwanese
1. Do not go swimming
-> I’m dying for a good swim in the sea!

2 Likes

Don’t take the circle line, it will never stop!

1 Like

This is the time to buy these things, huge discounts!

2 Likes

Agreed.

1 Like

I make a point of whistling just to piss people off.

Jerusalem is my go to piece.

1 Like

Post it here, no idea what tune you’re talking about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rT1HEXNI9c4

I haven’t noticed any difference at the pools. I’m always hopeful but it never seems to happen. I’ll be going to the beach in a week or so with the family. Let’s see. I think I went to Baishawan one year during ghost month. Again, no big difference.

Creepy stuff.

Is this a good month or bad month to marry a dead person ghost?

2 Likes

Bad month. During my researches I discovered this:

"Others do not use the aid of any priest or diviner and believe that the groom the ghost-bride has chosen “[will] somehow identify himself.Typically, the family lays a red envelope (usually used for gifts of money) as bait in the middle of the road. They then take to hiding, and when the envelope is picked up by a passer-by, they come out and announce his status of being the chosen bridegroom”

So this explains why you can leave your wallet on a park bench here and it’ll still be there three hours later. (I actually did this once). Boy you’d be pissed if you picked up a wad of cash and some family jumps out and says “you are now married to our dead daughter.”

2 Likes

I thought they would be more pissed off if they picked up my wallet and all they find in it is old receipts

1 Like

Beats being married to a ghost though.

So many things I could say to that,
but they would lead to real domestic hell,
not just a superstitious one.

1 Like

Long live Ghost Month! Got a great rental deal on an apartment as the owner didn’t want it empty over Ghost Month. Picked up a new fridge and washing machine at a great discount as they’re not selling this month. Have been looking at furniture and stores are practically empty and more than eager to offer discounts. Wish I was in the market for a new car as I walked by a main Toyota dealer earlier and it was completely empty, likely to be great deals to be had!

10 more, how many are there?!

Icon,

" 2. Do not kill rare insects in seen in the home

It is believed that lost loved ones may come back to visit in the form of an insect during this period, so it is best not to squash that strange bug crawling on the living room furniture."

That includes spiders!:rofl:

1 Like